I visited a T-Mobile store yesterday, and they told me the only way to utilize GPS on the 8820 was to subscribe to TeleNav service. I find this suspect, because I hear about people using googlemaps and such on their BB8820.

Since I'm a total noob and must decide on what model to buy, I will greatly appreciate your help on whether I can use built-in GPS with a good and free application, without paying extra every month to T-Mobile. Thanks.
    09-29-08 11:21 AM
    I have an 8820 with T-Mobile as the carrier and the GPS works fine. I do not use TeleNav, but I do use Google Maps... which is free.
    10-03-08 01:12 PM
    I agree. Google Maps is one of the best mapping programs for the BB...especially since it's free.

BTW - Welcome to CB!
    10-03-08 01:14 PM
    if you are not able to find a GPS signal, open blackberry maps, hit menu and go to options, in here hit menu again and clear the cache and reset downloaded data. after that hit menu and save then do a battery pull. once it is back on open maps and select start navigation, this will look for sattellites and may take up to 10 minutes.
    the reason for all this is that when it looks for sattellites, it checks the cache for the last known fix. if you never got a location fix it will quit right away and not keep trying. once you get a fix on a satellite then it will work better every time. since GPS sattellites are in a geosynchronous orbit, the sattellite that it talks to will be in the exact same position in the sky 24/7/365. thats why it likes to cache that satellite address
    10-03-08 01:37 PM
    Thanks to everyone for helpful info! Where and how do I upload Googlemaps to my BB (which I'm yet to buy, by the way)?

I need to wait another week before my Verizon contract expires
    10-08-08 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD