Hello,
    As my regular mobile broke recently, a friend of mine "Donated" an old Blackberry Edge 8700 for my use. I need to have something till my "economy" (Job situation) gets better.
    The instrument works good with my old T-Mobile SIM card for the Phone features - I have disabled the data portion.
    However, I was trying to get the contacts from my old phone to the BB and came across the desktop manager as a good option. But, the installation prompts about Activation, Tracking et al.
    Is this software only for licensed or newly purchased BB or can I use this without any issues as mine is a "Donated" one?

Thanks a lot for your time,
    11-01-10 12:52 PM
    I use the latest DM with an old 8707v as a backup and works no problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-10 03:18 PM
    Thanks Belfast. Appreciate it much.
    Does DM require the device to be part of any enterprise network or is it just a thick client on the desktop for BB <--> Desktop communication?
    Is there any Microsoft XP type Activation/Registration behind the scenes?

Thanks again...
    11-01-10 03:51 PM
    I don't think it matters if the device is bis or bes or none at all. You can connect many devices to the same DM, not at the same time though

11-01-10 04:11 PM
    I have an unlocked BB Storm 2 (a Verizon phone) and I live in Germany. I have a Telekom (t-mobile) data plan but I am upon to access the network internet on my phone. If I put the Sim card in any other phone, I have internet access. When I select the BB Browser it tells me that I need Wifi to use this browser. All other the features work (phone calls, sms, etc.) How do I get internet???? HELP!!!!
    11-01-10 04:25 PM
    I have an unlocked BB Storm 2 (a Verizon phone) and I live in Germany. I have a Telekom (t-mobile) data plan but I am upon to access the network internet on my phone. If I put the Sim card in any other phone, I have internet access. When I select the BB Browser it tells me that I need Wifi to use this browser. All other the features work (phone calls, sms, etc.) How do I get internet???? HELP!!!!
    You need to ring Telekom and ask them to change your data plan to a blackberry data plan or bis-blackberry internet service

Without it your Storm 2 will not work properly.

11-01-10 04:29 PM
    You'll know you have it when your signal indicator changes from gprs to GPRS or if 3G there will be a little blackberry symbol beside it.

11-01-10 04:31 PM
    Thanks Belfast. That sounds good.
    Is Version 6.0 good for older phones or should I hunt for 4.X version of DM?

Cheers!!!
    11-01-10 05:26 PM
    Make sure your Default Browser is set to Blackberry Browser and not HotSpot Browser.
    11-01-10 06:02 PM
    Thanks Belfast. That sounds good.
    Is Version 6.0 good for older phones or should I hunt for 4.X version of DM?

Cheers!!!
    DM6 works with my 8707

11-01-10 06:29 PM
    Thanks again Belfast. DM6 worked here as well.....
    It showed a message that my device software version has an updated release... but warned that Data charges might apply ..
    I have disabled Data options in the device now..... not sure if it will get reset during the software update and mess my account....
    If I don't have data plan for my SIM is it going to be able to use wireless data features at all? I don't want it to hook upto the internet and have a hefty bill next month ....

Confused....
    11-01-10 07:29 PM
    Thanks again Belfast. DM6 worked here as well.....
    It showed a message that my device software version has an updated release... but warned that Data charges might apply ..
    I have disabled Data options in the device now..... not sure if it will get reset during the software update and mess my account....
    If I don't have data plan for my SIM is it going to be able to use wireless data features at all? I don't want it to hook upto the internet and have a hefty bill next month ....

Confused....
    Take the sim out, do the upgrade, put the sim back in

11-02-10 02:14 AM
    Why not put a data plan on it though, the cheapest you can get at least. Everything works as on newer blackberrys, bbm, push email, facebook, twitter, yahoo and gmail messengers etc, they all work pretty well. Appworld doesn't work though. Give it a go I'd say, you'll be surprised(pleasantly)

11-02-10 02:24 AM
    Data plan gives a blackberry it's full function. Get one, like it, you'll love it, your BB will love ya back!

PS. Bolt browser=webkit on any smart/phone that's capable of running it.

11-02-10 05:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD