If someone was dumb enough, say, to drop their phone in a plate of ravioli, would it be ok to turn it off and rinse it with alcohol ? The Classic still works fine but there is tomato sauce in the usb jack and speaker hole. Any suggestions ?

TIA
    armanatron likes this.
    06-27-15 08:23 PM
    No, do not, you will ruin it. Get a lightly dampened with water (not alcohol) q-tip and try to get out as much as you can. Use a toothpick as well.
    donemt likes this.
    06-27-15 08:25 PM
    Who said the Classic wasn't tasty!

Via Passport 
    06-28-15 06:41 AM
    Wait until the sauce dries the carefully pick it out with a toothpick. Don't use a pin as it may short something out.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 08:11 AM
    Lol... reminds of a time back in college when, after 'a few' drinks my buddy dropped his phone in the waterless urinal (gross but OK),.. but then proceeded to 'wash it off' in the sink. We didn't even realize how bad of an idea that was until the next day...

Good times.

So yeah, don't 'rinse' it with anything. I would say wipe as much goop off as you can, then maybe even try a using a dry/wet shopvac to extract stuff out. If some of it gets stuck in tiny holes, maybe use a tooth brush to lightly 'crumble' it away.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 08:35 AM
    Anyone else think it isn't tomato sauce?

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    06-28-15 09:31 AM
    Well the toothpick and dry paper towel worked very well for the speaker and mic port. The USB hole (the technical term for those of us who write USB drivers) I cleaned out with a dry toothbrush (my wife's, since she wasn't home). It seemed to work well but the charging connecter needs to be held a certain way now to work. If I can't live with that I will either buy my neice a new phone and get my Z10 back, or pickup another Classic, or maybe a Passport. I was hoping I could make it until the slider came out. So here is one big advantage for wireless charging - You can seal the USB hole.

Gracias todos !
    Gatmyer likes this.
    06-28-15 02:52 PM
    Just use tissue paper to soak up the sauce.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 04:27 PM
    If or when using alcohol, you need technical isopropyl alcohol. When using a spray can, the alcohol leaving the can is very cold, and causes water condensation on the components.

Electronic components usually survive dousing, submerging, spraying etc. with pure isoprop, even distilled water. If you do any of this, make sure you're in a well ventilated area (not only for your health!), so that the liquid(s) can dry up quickly.

Benefit of the spray can with a thin nozzle, very little alcohol can flush away most of the gunk with great force fairly quickly and cheaply, even from nooks and crannies. I use it on PC and laptop motherboards all the time, no issues...

You might want to open or disassemble the phone. Tomato sauce is acidic and could damage the boards and components. Be careful with the internal, non-removable battery, I'd disconnect it asap, and before spraying anything.

:-D

(Your mileage may vary...)

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    06-28-15 05:06 PM
    To avoid cases like drowning your phone or dunking it in a meal, constraint yourself from being it into the washroom or the dining table .

To BB or not to BBBBBB...?
    06-28-15 05:26 PM
    To avoid cases like drowning your phone or dunking it in a meal, constraint yourself from being it into the washroom or the dining table .

To BB or not to BBBBBB...?
    Being able to peruse Crackberry or Reddit, while I sit alone, eating my Chef Borardee ravioli, is one of my few pleasures left at this point.
    06-29-15 10:15 AM
    Anyone else think it isn't tomato sauce?

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    Could be a white sauce? Maybe Alfredo?

Beware the white crusty Classic.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    eldricho likes this.
    06-29-15 10:33 AM