I live in a basement apartment and hardly get any service so i rely on my wifi to let me make phone calls and send bbms .. I have an 8900 and im on tmobile , so yes my phone always says UMA ..

Im thinking about switching to verizon , so can i do the same with verizon? And if so, which blackberry can i do it with? Please link me to the newest phone that i can do that with. And yes i understand UMA calls use mins on your plan, but not the night n weekend mins .. Im hoping it doesnt use mins for the fave5 or whatever id wanna get on verizon ..

without UMA im as good as worthless lol ..

thanks
    Last edited by Italiannyc; 04-16-10 at 03:55 PM.
    04-16-10 03:34 PM
    I don't think you can do that with VZW
    04-16-10 03:47 PM
    Only T-Mobile allows UMA as far as I know
    04-16-10 03:57 PM
    grr so does sprint ? id never go to att .. with those rip off prices .. i pay 79 a month for unlimited everything on tmobile and its no contract
    04-16-10 04:00 PM
    Only T-Mobile and Cincinattie Bell support UMA.

However, the new models with Wifi like the Bold 9700, do have Wifi access to BIS. Your email and messenger would will work, but your out of luck with Voice and SMS.

Wi-Fi802.11b/g enabled
    Wi-Fi Alliance Certifications: WPA/WPA2 Personal and Enterprise, WMM, WMM Power Save, Wi-Fi Protected Setup
    Cisco CCX certification
    Wi-Fi access to BlackBerry� Enterprise Server
    Wi-Fi access to BlackBerry� Internet Server
    Direct IP web browsing over Wi-Fi
    Support for UMA
    04-16-10 04:25 PM
    Verizon doesn't work at your place without UMA? The 8900 being a EDGE phone is stuck to just 1900mhz for service (and UMA obviously). Verizon operates on the 850mhz network so you might not even need UMA. That said, only T-Mobile uses UMA in the USA

Anyways, Verizon and AT&T has the same prices last time i checked. In some cases, Verizon has even worse prices ("Multimedia Phones requiring $10 data plan minimum) They also both have something similar to UMA which is FemToCell. It's a little box that plugs into your router that gives you full signal at home. Since you already have a router, you can get it from them and use your phone just like you'd normally do outside (this includes Sprint as well).
    04-16-10 05:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD