With the news that WhatsApp isn't planning to develop for BlackBerry 10 I figure we should make it known that many of us want to see an app at launch. Even if you don't personally use it, a lot of the general public does and consequently a lack of an app at launch will give the media and tech bloggers a reason bash BB10. To contact WhatsApp, use the following email and twitter accounts:

[email protected]

@whatsapp
    anon(3310921) likes this.
    12-15-12 06:58 PM
    These campaigns are pretty utterly pointless. They'll look at one thing first and that's market share in the U.S. For BlackBerries that's about 1.3%. Then they'll deduct a lot since not every single person uses it. Then they'll deduct even more since not every single BB user in the U.S. will upgrade.

Why would they devote time to do something that's going to be used by a huge minority? I know it sucks but it's the same old story, less apps means less people, which then leads to even less apps and then again to less people.
    WhatsApp does not only look at the US market, or atleast I hope they don't for their sake. Any app maker is looking at the global market these days and will realize that BlackBerry is still widely popular in certain regions of the world. It is also the number 3 download at the moment in App World. They clearly know that WhatsApp is popular on BlackBerry so it is confusing as to why they do not plan to support BB10,
    12-15-12 07:07 PM
    The number of downloads is most likely dwarfed by the numbers they're getting on the other platforms. Look, if the numbers are there they would support it but they're not.
    I can guarantee you they are getting more downloads from BlackBerry then they are on Windows 8 and there is still an app for them.
    12-15-12 07:21 PM
    If I'm honest I'm a bit confused by their decision. Someone already mentioned that the Android app can quite simply be sideloaded onto BB10, so I can't imagine porting the Android app would be difficult enough to not justify financially. Maybe they're waiting to see how BB10 does sales-wise?
    12-15-12 07:23 PM
    Ad19, what are you, like 15 years old? Get a grip and put the booze away!

Whatsapp IS insecure, I know I won't install that security breach on my new BB10's.

Do some simple research before your head explodes,lol.

PS Nothing personal
    12-15-12 07:34 PM
    First off, yes that app is insecure but people like it. Specially people in EU where they have to pay as much as 0.3euros per text to send a SMS to a relative in neighbouring country. It keeps people internationally connected without having to pay extra $$s.

Second off, a 15 year old with $500 is still a potential customer for RIM. They shouldn't turn away someone because they're "too immature." Which I don't think that person was...

Third off, it doesn't matter what is secure and what is not secure - NOT TO GENERAL PUBLIC. Look at the popularity of Android! People don't seem to care! I remember trying to help out my neighbour to get a calculator app on her Android and in permission it listed location and internet access and she didn't care!

Anyways, I've never used it and probably never will but the point is, this is nothing but another negative story media will spin and you know they will, they seem to love doing that.

Ad19, what are you, like 15 years old? Get a grip and put the booze away!

Whatsapp IS insecure, I know I won't install that security breach on my new BB10's.

Do some simple research before your head explodes,lol.

PS Nothing personal
    12-15-12 09:34 PM
    For what it's worth I sent an email. I don't personally use Whatsapp but I do understand for BB10 to succeed it needs the big apps. I'm really disappointed with these developers, it's pathetic.
    12-15-12 09:43 PM
    Why bother with petitions? If bb10 sells, they would definitely crawl back.
    12-15-12 09:50 PM
    i cant stand whatsapp. i think its terrible.

but if bb10 is to stand any chance of success it needs whatsapp. thats a simple fact.

i think it will come out, just after bb10 is released. they havent said they wont make it at all.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    12-15-12 09:52 PM
    somehow i have a feeling rim will come up with sth to solve the issue. like new version of bbm can send msg to whatsapp. i know someone will say it's impossible, but just saying.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    12-15-12 09:55 PM
    If I'm honest I'm a bit confused by their decision. Someone already mentioned that the Android app can quite simply be sideloaded onto BB10, so I can't imagine porting the Android app would be difficult enough to not justify financially. Maybe they're waiting to see how BB10 does sales-wise?
    there is a difference in getting an app to work on a platform, setting aside the resources to support people on that platform that may have problems.
    12-15-12 10:29 PM
    You're right, it is total garbage but worse it's UNSECURE and the hackers know it. It has been pointed out to whatsapp and yet after their last supposed fix it's still UNSECURE, thank the hackers for pointing that out yet again. If the ppl who want whatsapp so bad for BB10 they should spend as much time informing others how UNSECURE it is in the same ratio that they tout it. I won't compromise my security concerns just because some lemmings will.
    i cant stand whatsapp. i think its terrible.

but if bb10 is to stand any chance of success it needs whatsapp. thats a simple fact.

i think it will come out, just after bb10 is released. they havent said they wont make it at all.

12-15-12 10:31 PM
    i sent an email to whatsapp and this was the reply. its not the answer to my question but I guess they have enough problems

Hi,

*** We are currently experiencing an issue with "last seen at" notifications. We are working on a resolution. Thank you for your patience! ***

Thank you for contacting WhatsApp. You can delete your own account from inside the WhatsApp application. For security and privacy reasons we can not delete your account on your behalf through the support channel. You can find instructions on how to delete your account here:

iPhone: WhatsApp FAQ - How do I delete my account?
    Android: WhatsApp FAQ - How do I delete my account?
    BlackBerry: WhatsApp FAQ - How do I delete my account?
    Nokia: WhatsApp FAQ - How do I delete my account?
    Windows Phone: WhatsApp FAQ - How do I delete my account?

Please note that if you are switching to a new handset, simply install WhatsApp on your new phone - deleting your account is not necessary in this case.

If this response does not answer your questions, our apologies. In this case, please respond to this email so that we can help you.

Thank you.
    12-15-12 11:03 PM
    Market share or not I still think companies who value the consumer voice will at the very least reconsider once they see the response of the community. . .
    and while your at it. . .
    Netflix: Offer Support for RIM Blackberry Devices
    http://www.change.org/petitions/netf...medium=twitter
    Hulu: Allow a Hulu Plus app for BlackBerry Playbook and BB10
    http://www.change.org/petitions/hulu...medium=twitter
    and. . .
    Pandora�: Bring App Support to the Blackberry 10 Platform:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/pand...medium=twitter
    . . .Visit this thread if your interested in contacting other devs . . .http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...m-know-756442/
    I can make a petition for Whatsapp but the emails should do it just fine. . .
    12-15-12 11:21 PM
    Looks like whatsapp broken again????

Go read twitter #whatsapp ,lol.

You want this garbage on BB10 , no thanks!

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=#whatsapp
    12-15-12 11:48 PM
    Just because YOU dont want an app on BB10 doesnt mean 70 million other BB users have the same opinion. So lets stop the name calling/personal insults.
    Lennart Vork and Roo Zilla like this.
    12-16-12 12:01 AM
    Its one thing to contact whatsapp and ask them to bring their app to bb10, but shouldn't we also contact RIM and tell them that we want Whatsapp.

I think its the job of some of RIM employees (is it Alec?) to make sure that the most important apps make it to BB10, and for me, and millions others, Whatsapp is the most important cross platform messaging application.

If we could make RIM reach out and get in touch with them and offer some encouragement / support / partnership / sponsorship / deal to get them on board to make a native app for BB10 .... Or atleast just send them a couple of guys to help them port their android app we could have an app for launch.

Its not like Whatsapp is a competitor like Microsoft or Google and has some vested interest in not bringing their app to BB10, I think all they need is some serious pestering by us and more importantly by RIM.

Without Whatsapp, not many Android and iOS users are likely to switch to BB10, if this app is missing from the app store at launch it has the potential to create a sales crisis similar to what lack of Skype, Netflix and native BBM did for Playbook.

Even if RIM spent about a Million Dollars in resources to get the Whatsapp app its not a big amount considering the impact the lack of this single app could have on the sales of BB10.

Communication and Messaging is at the heart of the core BlackBerry experience ..... not if they don't have the worlds most popular cross platform messaging application.
    Last edited by Qaxl; 12-16-12 at 01:41 AM.
    12-16-12 01:29 AM
    I sent an email. I uninstalled it from my 9900 because it absolutely killed the battery life, but I have it installed on my PlayBook and it works pretty good. Many would love to see this app available upon launch and I'd be willing to give it another try on my BB10 device.
    12-16-12 03:53 AM
    the world doesn't revolve around ONE country alone.
    i know for sure that in other countries where they dump iPhone for androids, they use whatsapp for messaging. and that means whatsapp market share is waaayyyyy larger in the world than any other country.
    for that matter alone, whatsapp WILL build an app for BB10 because cross-platform messaging is important for ASEAN countries where majority users are using samsungs and blackberrys.
    and i represent my country where i have the same amount of blackberry friends and android friends. and we communicate and discussed in whatsapp group daily.
    i'm sure we don't actually need petitions for whatsapp to know what platform they should concentrate and support on.
    with 60million active users and lets say 10% downloaded whatsapp, surely 6million active whatsapp users is quite a large number for whatsapp to consider.

just a thought.

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    12-16-12 04:48 AM
    These campaigns are pretty utterly pointless. They'll look at one thing first and that's market share in the U.S. For BlackBerries that's about 1.3%. Then they'll deduct a lot since not every single person uses it. Then they'll deduct even more since not every single BB user in the U.S. will upgrade.

Why would they devote time to do something that's going to be used by a huge minority? I know it sucks but it's the same old story, less apps means less people, which then leads to even less apps and then again to less people.
    Yet another one who think locally, market share for global app such as whatsapp look at the global share ...
    12-16-12 04:56 AM
    Good luck with that.

Not worth my time.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    12-16-12 06:34 AM
    yes whatsapp is unsecure and probably the majority of users here do not use it. but the majority of users here, no all the users here represent a tiny minority of phone users.
    there are far more people who use whatsapp then who doesnt. bb10 needs whatsapp if it is to attract more users, which is the goal.
    i see suggestions to inform people to not use it or to suggest alternatives. that will not work at all. that mindset is what will make bb10 fail. it is the mindset that has put rim in their current position.
    bb10 is a new beginning. get out of the old way of thinking "we dont need that". its not about need. its about choice. your needs may be a waste to someone else.

12-16-12 07:03 AM
    what i dont understand, is that WhatsApp is a multi platform instant messaging software. thats why it exists... for multi platform use. BlackBerry is a platform. .. so what if 1.3% of americans have a BB. its completely irrelevant in the matter. First of all... 1.3% percent of americans does not represent the entire blackberry base, as there are more users worldwide... secondly, whatsapp like i mentioned is cross platform.... If BB represents the minority, whats important is that contacts fro all over the world, will always have 1 guy whos on a bb and 10 on ios and android... but that person may still need to talk to that guy on the BB.... so keeping to its true nature of being a multi=platform product, whatsapp should commit to making one for bb10, and for the launch of bb10... pleaaaaaaaaase

also, whatsapp are on current BB's..... it works great now why stop support?
    12-16-12 08:28 AM
    the campaigns didn't really work for Playbook. From app makers point of view, they cannot take such things seriously. If someone has time enough to campaign for a device that won't pay him, what stops him from making multiple IDs and campaigning with different names? Won't really get an idea of how many really want the app
    12-16-12 09:11 AM