I sure hope RIM understands the need, in future BlackBerry models, for giving customers the option of NOT having a camera. As it is, I can take my camera-free 8700 into federal courtrooms, for example, where cameras are banned, and email updates on trials and hearings back to my newsroom from the courtrooms while the proceedings are underway. I have to leave my company-issued phone, which, natch, has a camera, outside, in my car.

The time will come when I'll upgrade, and I don't know what I'll do if I can't upgrade to the next cool BB simply because there was no camera-free option. I needs me my CrackBerry. RIM wouldn't care, I'm sure, since practically everybody wants and expects cameras in their BBs. But please, RIM, if you see this message, know that there is often the need to take our BBs where cameras cannot go.

Thank you!
    01-22-08 12:42 AM
    I've got a VZW 8830, and the second the curve becomes avail on this network I'll jump to it. Why, because it has... a camera.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-08 01:02 AM
    I believe RIM will continue to support non-camera devices. I also believe you will not see the newer and better BBs roll out without a camera.
    The amount of people who can't have a camera(government workers etc.) as opposed to may not necessarily want a camera pales in comparison to the over-all consumer market.
    I'm sure the 8800 series BBs will continue to have there nitch and a place with RIM.
    01-22-08 02:01 AM
    I believe RIM will continue to support non-camera devices. I also believe you will not see the newer and better BBs roll out without a camera.
    The amount of people who can't have a camera(government workers etc.) as opposed to may not necessarily want a camera pales in comparison to the over-all consumer market.
    I'm sure the 8800 series BBs will continue to have there nitch and a place with RIM.

I think you're correct, reaper, and that's what I'm afraid of. I'd get a camera model, too, but for the fact that cameras (including camera phones) are banned in several places I often do business. So my fear is that unless RIM offers both camera and non-camera versions of its BlackBerrys from now on, I'll be unable to go on using a BB, and there may be just a few of us, so too bad, the masses rule the marketplace.
    01-23-08 12:01 AM
    Because of the issue of privacy, and people abusing the cameras built into their phones, I can see where this is becoming more of a problem...besides courthouses etc., what about concerts, movies etc.? And now you can't even get the camera on our BB the go off without the annoying shutter sound! I'll be curious to see where this all ends up, I can't foresee a time where cell phones will be banned everywhere except your car...but then who would have thought 30 years ago you wouldn't be able to smoke in your own car if there are children in it?
    01-23-08 01:58 PM
    It will be a VERY long time before RIM will do away with all camera-less models. Even HP's latest, cream-of-the-crop mobile phones are coming in both camera and camera-less models due ot their business-oriented focus.

RIM is first and foremost business-oriented so they will always have these models as long as there are places where business is taking place and cameras are forbidden.

--Kidd
    01-23-08 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD