Hi there,
    I was wondering what i would be charged to call some one whilst i am abroad ( lets say france) to some on in the UK, i would have the mobile network turned off and would be connected to a Wifi network? i believe it is call UMA? Can UMA be used for VIOP calls?

Would i be charged the international rates? or charged my normal call rate? or even not charged anything?

My network provider is Orange Uk, if that would effect the out come?

Cheers
    07-06-09 03:44 PM
    As far as I know that would be taken out of your regular minutes and nothing more.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 04:45 PM
    I just got back from a trip overseas, and UMA worked fine. I turned off Mobile Network (the entire time), and made sure that Data Services was "off when roaming", also for connection preference i chose WiFi Only. I was able to get BBM txts, emails, surf internet,etc.

For the calls, minutes were deducted from my plan; and shows they were made with UMA.

I have to wait a few weeks to receive my statement, hopefully, everything worked smoothly and no additional charges will show in it.
    07-06-09 06:59 PM
    Forgot to add: I am on Tmobile US, and only called to the US. If I had called to any other country, then I would have gotten charged for an int'l call.
    07-06-09 07:01 PM
    Are you sure that you had Data Services set to "off when roaming"? The reason I ask is because if Data Services is off at any time then UMA will not work and being International you definitely were roaming.
    07-06-09 07:07 PM
    I selected DATA SERVICES: OFF WHEN ROAMING, checked off MOBILE NETWORK and CONNECTION PREFERENCE: WIFI ONLY before I left the States, and double checked while I was traveling. We'll find out when I get my bill, will keep you guys posted.
    07-06-09 11:05 PM
    I selected DATA SERVICES: OFF WHEN ROAMING, checked off MOBILE NETWORK and CONNECTION PREFERENCE: WIFI ONLY before I left the States, and double checked while I was traveling. We'll find out when I get my bill, will keep you guys posted.
    Yes, please post back when you get your statement. I am always a little confused as to how to do the overseas UMA thing.
    07-06-09 11:29 PM
    Yes, please post back when you get your statement. I am always a little confused as to how to do the overseas UMA thing.
    mucholoco has it all down right.

Consider that your carrier can't determine whether the router you are accessing for UMA is in London or Los Angeles. They have no idea where you are unless you tell them by leaving your mobile network on so that a call switches to a cell tower if your UMA connection cuts out.

As long as you restrict yourself to UMA calls only through an Internet connection and place calls only to your home calling area (USA), you'll just get billed as if your were in Boise, Dallas or Boston. And that means if you have unlimited UMA calls, your calls overseas to the USA are free. However if your UMA calls are deducted from your minute bucket, they'll still be deducted.

BTW, this has been hashed and rehashed here 1000 times. Suggest you use your search feature and look up the many threads on the topic.
    07-06-09 11:51 PM
    UMA only works "free of charge" when u dial US #s only. If u have Hotspot the minutes will be free, if not the minutes will be deducted from your subscribed plan.

07-07-09 01:55 AM
    Are you sure that you had Data Services set to "off when roaming"? The reason I ask is because if Data Services is off at any time then UMA will not work and being International you definitely were roaming.
    Aristile, "off when roaming" is not the same as "off". "Off" disables all data services and prevents your blackberry from establishing a data connection. Whereas "off when roaming" prevents your blackberry from establishing a data connection over the mobile network (when roaming), but still allows full data services over wifi.

I keep my phone on "off while roaming" and "mobile network preferred". When I was in mexico last month, my BB did not establish a data connection over the mobile network, but I had full data connectivty when I had access to a network hotspot.

When I got my phone bill the next month, my voice roaming charges were $60 (as I mentioned I kept my phone on mobile netwrok preferred so my calls went over the mobile network) but I had no roaming data costs.

The wifi was bad, so that's why I decided to keep my phone on "mobile network preferred" so that I could sill receive calls. Next time I'll try UMA

07-08-09 12:48 AM
    Aristile, "off when roaming" is not the same as "off". "Off" disables all data services and prevents your blackberry from establishing a data connection. Whereas "off when roaming" prevents your blackberry from establishing a data connection over the mobile network (when roaming), but still allows full data services over wifi.

I keep my phone on "off while roaming" and "mobile network preferred". When I was in mexico last month, my BB did not establish a data connection over the mobile network, but I had full data connectivty when I had access to a network hotspot.

When I got my phone bill the next month, my voice roaming charges were $60 (as I mentioned I kept my phone on mobile netwrok preferred so my calls went over the mobile network) but I had no roaming data costs.

The wifi was bad, so that's why I decided to keep my phone on "mobile network preferred" so that I could sill receive calls. Next time I'll try UMA

That is how I understood it was supposed to work as well but then other members here had mixed results. So I'm still not sure. My carrier does not support UMA, or I would test this out for myself.
    07-08-09 01:01 AM
    message deleated
    Last edited by Andesis; 08-16-10 at 07:45 AM.
    08-14-10 08:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD