Call For Help: CB's Manual for New BB Users
02-08-08 01:03 PM
- CrackBerry KevinCrackBerry FounderHey All,
I received an email yesterday from Adam Zeis (azeis in the forums and Adam Zeis in the blogs), volunteering to spearhead a little CrackBerry.com project he came up with.
The project? Putting together a comprehensive/concise/all-in-one CrackBerry.com Manual to help get new BlackBerry Users up to speed quick.
As you know, there's a TON of info at CrackBerry.com - in the forums and in the blogs. But because it's spread out, it can sometimes be difficult to navigate - especially for New BlackBerry users, who are likely new to CrackBerry.com and may even be new to using forum-based websites as well. With the answers often buried among page three of a thread, and with New Users looking for a lot of info in one shot, I'm sure many would welcome an easy to follow "CB Manual". Having a good basis of must-have BB Knowledge in one spot makes sense to me!
We're not sure what this final "CB Manual" will look like just yet - maybe it'll come back to being a long forum or blog post or maybe a .pdf manual available to registered members for download, but the first step to figure out is what should be in there and collect all the data.
And this is where the big Call For Help comes in. The more ideas, questions/topics to be addressed, tips, how tos and content you send Adam's way, the easier it will be for him to go compile the data and put this masterpiece together. You can email stuff to Adam... adamzeis at gmail.com. Maybe keep the subject "CB Manual: say your own stuff here" just so he can keep track of it all in his Inbox.
I think this is an awesome idea - Built FOR the CrackBerry Community BY the CrackBerry Community. Get involved! The more help the better it will be!
So whaddya all think of that?01-30-08 05:33 PM
- Amen. How many times have you tried to look for a solution to a question and wished there was one end-all be-all place you could go? Lets take everything we can and compile it into one big "ultimate user manual".
I'd love for anyone that has posted how-to's or walkthroughs to forward me links. Brainstorm ideas as to what you think should be included. If you want to write a portion on a topic or have something that will fit in. Everything from setting up email to media cards to profiles to ringtones to GPS to symbols to battery pulls to BIS and BES to Gmail and more. The more help the better.
Hit me up whenever wherever and lets make this happen.
Last edited by azeis; 01-30-08 at 06:21 PM. Reason: (sp)01-30-08 06:09 PM
- I really like the pdf idea...
there is so much info that "we" the crackberry community toss around like: pulling the battery to improve memory,
the ins and outs of profiles,
loading (AND UNLOADING) programs,
easy ringtone, theme, and app management,
updating OS software,
and so much more...
that would be really helpful to new bb users. we all know how ineffective the carriers can be (not all but..c'mon...) and even RIM has a few gaps in the available knowledgebase...
sure those of us with time cruise through the forums (both here and others) and can usually find an answer to almost any BB related question...but there is sometimes a lot of wading to be done...
I think this would be really helpful for a lot of people...
I only wish there had been one when I bought mine...
I'd really like to help if you need it.01-30-08 07:05 PM
- Off to a good start so far. I've compiled a decent amount of info in just a few days. Quick searches led me to forum posts, FAQs and Crackberry 101 lessons. The following is a list of what I have come up with so far. If you see something that is missing that should be included, post a reply or forward me a link or a writeup to adamzeis at gmail.com so I can work it in. Again, any and all help is appreciated. Also, if you have posted writeups or FAQs of some sort on other forums or sites, please forward them along to me if you would allow me to included them - thanks much.
What I have so far:
Basic Phone Controls
BES and BIS
Delete Entire Calendar
Erase All Data On Your Device
Getting Started With Videos On Your BlackBerry
How To Install A Media Card
How to Install and Manage Third Party Applications on your BlackBerry
How to Use BlackBerry Messenger
Remove An IT Policy
Remove Sent From My Blackberry
Separate Emails and SMS
Setting Up A New Blackberry
Setting Up Bluetooth Sync
Setting Up Email
Stop Receiving Network Messages
The Basics of BIS Email
The Nuked Berry Problem
Unlock All Vendor Themes
What is BlackBerry Messenger
You can Wallpaper A BlackBerry
Last edited by azeis; 02-01-08 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added02-01-08 09:14 AM
- Just wanted to bump and say the manual is coming along nicely. As listed above, I have a ton of stuff thus far, but could definitely use some help on figuring out what else needs to be included as well as some write ups for those things I have gotten to yet. Hit me up anytime at adamzeis at gmail.com if you can help out - it would be greatly appreciated!02-07-08 09:34 AM
- Didn't see this on your list and it has help me. I can't take credit for it though.
Also how about Desk Top Manager how to? I see more and more posts about
"Application not found". You know the issue... OS not loaded onto PC.
Also the two links below.02-07-08 10:11 AM
- Two topics I'd like to see inluded are:
Steps to free up memory
Steps to extend battery time
Azeis, I would be more than happy to help you compile and write up any of this. I am fairly new to the forums but have been a BB geek for almost two years!!
Let me know if I can do anything to help!
pashan at gmail dot com!!
Paige02-07-08 01:58 PM
- 02-07-08 02:17 PM
- i'm a newbie myself & the 1st helpful t hings that came to mind I'd like to see more info on are:
1. list of Vendor ID's for those who replace all with their vendors ID as opposed to deleting it all together. (i'm currently still in the midsts of this situation, so any help now would be awesome, lol)
2. Like others have mentioned, a person could skim thru hundreds of BB related sites to find answers, software, etc. I thing a "Top 10" or Best or the Best" type thing for sites to find BB related items. Separate lists for games, themes, where to find all the good free stuff, which navigation software is the best, etc.
To start the list for a "Top 10 Ringtone Sites" I think motomail.co.uk is a must have for everyone. Or motomail.co.uk/m if visiting from your mobile. ALL phones/ALL carriers are supported, easiest (but also very basic) way to get the song u want downloaded from your phones browser is by the mobile site, but if u visit their regular site they also offer video downloads and other goodies. You can even upload your favorite cutz from your own collection to be cropped into an mp3 ringtone. Ya gotta check it out!!
Last edited by kcladygemini; 02-08-08 at 12:29 AM. Reason: adding info02-08-08 12:14 AM
- Awesome. Good stuff here so far.
I could use some help from a BES aspect. Some common questions or FAQs since I myself don't use BES at all and I'm not really sure what issue come up. So anything related to BES or a quick guide of some sort would be super if anyone is willing.02-08-08 11:09 AM
- due to my recent frustrations, I've decided another thing that would definately be helpful to me, would be a lil space listing ALL compatible file extentions that can be used on or with my device. I've noticed that a lot of sites providing downloads for for more than just BB devices don't specify exactly which devices support the particular file & which ones don't (at least not w/out spending extra time opening each link for more info on the software, then scrolling to find it) If I knew exactly what will/won't work, it would save me a lot of time......and probly lower the blood pressure just a wee bit .lol02-08-08 01:03 PM
- Popular at CrackBerry
- General BlackBerry Discussion
Call For Help: CB's Manual for New BB Users
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD