Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By lnichols
  • 1 Post By notfanboy
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default the BYOD phenomenon

Hi guys. I'm kinda new here and I just wanted your opinions on this matter. I've been doing a lot of reading on blackberry 10 ever since the BBX and bb Colt days and one thing that was persistent is the negative analysts saying BYOD will kill the bb enterprise customers. But a lot of people are saying that the BYOD movement is a minority and that it will fade away because of cost and support issues. So I just want to hear your opinions on this and what it would mean for bb10. Thank you for your time#BlackberryByChoice
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,569 Global Posts

It won't go away because once the genie's been let out of the bottle, it's tough to get it back in.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,278 Global Posts

From all of the reports I have seen, BYOD isn't providing the cost savings that companies expected it to, and in some reports actually makes it more expensive than the BB solutions it replaced. RIM will support ActiveSync in BB10 for companies that just use that and minimal security, it will support major VPN appliances, and RIM will also have BES10 as an attempt to manage BB10, Android and iOS devices. So with BB10 RIM should have a fine BYOD offering, and for customers that go with BES10, should provide additional features for BB10 devices over the others it can manage.
    undone and eddy_berry like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,394 Global Posts

It's pretty big and it's not going away. RIM has to address it.

In the grand scheme of things, RIM still dominates "corporate liable" devices over iPhone and Android. Even though there are absolutely stories of companies switching, if you look at market data specifically around corporate issued phones overall, BlackBerry remains king.

However, many companies are opening up to "bring your own device" models. In some cases, it is in addition to corporate liable. In some cases, it replaces corporate liable altogether. In the BYOD space, RIM is behind in key markets because BYOD essentially reflects consumer trends. And it's predicted that corporate liable spending is going to remain stagnant or drop, while BYOD is expected to pass corporate liable. Some companies will always want to control what users do with their equipment. Others care less.
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,569 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    It's pretty big and it's not going away. RIM has to address it.

In the grand scheme of things, RIM still dominates "corporate liable" devices over iPhone and Android. Even though there are absolutely stories of companies switching, if you look at market data specifically around corporate issued phones overall, BlackBerry remains king.
    "Apple iOS devices are being brought into the enterprise in droves, both by corporate and by employee purchase,” IDC explained. “In fact, [we believe] that by the end of 2012, iOS will be the number 1 corporate-liable operating system (OS) device by volumes shipped.”

iPhone and Android to surpass BlackBerry in enterprise for first time in 2012, study says
    RIM Is Losing the Enterprise Market to iPhone and Android - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,160 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    "Apple iOS devices are being brought into the enterprise in droves, both by corporate and by employee purchase,” IDC explained. “In fact, [we believe] that by the end of 2012, iOS will be the number 1 corporate-liable operating system (OS) device by volumes shipped.”
    This is specially true with iPads. Companies are developing and deploying iPad apps for the enterprise, and this is an accelerating trend. Some are going the web app route, but some are going the native app route. Once you have native apps for the enterprise, you're locked in. It's very hard to dislodge that.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,394 Global Posts

iPhone and Android to surpass BlackBerry in enterprise for first time in 2012, study says
    RIM Is Losing the Enterprise Market to iPhone and Android - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD
    Interesting. I'd like to read the study itself ... is it global, or US? Also, are they predicting shipments this year or actively in use? Do you have a link? Edit: Forget that. Do you want to lend me $4500. :-)

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?contai...5#.UNSSybaa0xc

Thanks for sharing
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,394 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by notafanboy View Post
    This is specially true with iPads. Companies are developing and deploying iPad apps for the enterprise, and this is an accelerating trend. Some are going the web app route, but some are going the native app route. Once you have native apps for the enterprise, you're locked in. It's very hard to dislodge that.
    You know who's probably especially terrified about that? Microsoft, Dell and Lenovo!

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,260 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!

That's not really new. There are a lot of niche market apps for iOS that developers can't or won't program for other platforms. That's particularly true for scientific and medical stuff. The ones where a $25 app would be bargain basement pricing.
    More thoughts at Bill's Spiritual Musings. http://www.bills-musings.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,569 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    Interesting. I'd like to read the study itself ... is it global, or US?
    The numbers are global, or else it wouldn't make sense. In the US, about 150 million smartphones will be sold in 2012. About a third will be iPhones, which means about 50 million. If Apple ships 31.1 million corp-liable iPhones, that would mean the majority of use in the US is enterprise non-BYOD, which doesn't make sense.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,394 Global Posts

Too bad these things are so expensive to read. I'm guessing a lot of newspapers only quote the press release too. I love reading the details of what is and isn't being measured.

Side note, but I really wish journalists would give the detail, but that's asking too much. Either they a) can't see the whole thing; b) have a bias or an angle they wish to take; or c) don't know what's being measured.

Sorta like the number of times I've read "RIM's marketshare has fallen to 1.6%" instead of "RIM's marketshare of [devices sold to new customers in the United States in the last three months] has fallen to 1.6%"

One of my favorite examples of this was SquareTrade's "reliability study from a couple of years ago. I remember Daily Finance declared, "BlackBerry devices are about three times as likely to break down as iPhones, with a 6.3% chance of malfunctioning within the first year. ". This was true, but they forgot to mention that iPhone 4 was twice as likely to fail in a drop and that 75% of malfunctions were caused by drops.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,569 Global Posts

More interesting than enterprise is that SME is moving towards iPhone and Android too.

Apple's iPhone takes 68.2% of new small & medium business smartphone activations
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,160 Global Posts

More interesting than enterprise is that SME is moving towards iPhone and Android too.
    Source link please?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,569 Global Posts

Source link please?
    Oops.....

Apple's iPhone takes 68.2% of new small & medium business smartphone activations
    Thanked by:
    RubberChicken76 (12-21-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,394 Global Posts

The smaller thing makes sense given that's likely more apt to have BYOD and/or less security or management structure.

CrackBerry Master

BYOD is indeed proving to be a double edge sword. At the least when you issued a device it was pretty straight forward, the corp own it (and the liability). Now...the water is muddy and well, I wouldn't be shocked to see moves back from BYOD to corp owned. Once the accounts get a hold of the numbers anyway....
    'The frontier between hell and heaven is only the difference between two ways of looking at things.' - George Bernard Shaw
    CrackBerry Genius

Stuff like BYOD is why the increased specs of bb10 are so important when combined with balance, you have a device that people are happier to use without making your IT dept too unhappy in the process.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Thanks for your comments! Good to have a little more insight into this matter because everybody is talking about how bb10 will affect the consumer but the business side is not being mentioned as much. Personally I don't think that BYOD is a better solution because a uniform device across the company will make IT management much easier and cost effective. Imo the advantages are better for small to medium companies without the need for dedicated IT management than for big companies where a whole lot of different devices can be a nightmare and possibly a security risk and that is where RIMs market lies: big/fortune 500 companies and government agencies. If they can keep their customers there happy while also building a bigger consumer subscriber base I can see a bright future for RIM and bb10+ platforms