Android Is Dead - Part 7: WP 8 Ratings - Seeking Alpha

rather in-depth analysis of Androids demise and the resurgence of RIM and MS.
    01-17-13 03:45 PM
    I wouldn't say android is bye-bye. I believe they have 70-80% marketshare.
    Blacklatino and BB_Bmore like this.
    01-17-13 03:48 PM
    i've been reading some of these seeking alpha articles....

it's pure garbage. these 'bloggers' can write anything they want. The evidence they use as their answer to their thesis are always reaching.

I'm sure some are from qualified analysts, but some are straight up stupid.
    01-17-13 03:56 PM
    Now this is a point that needs to be made

I made an argument that android users often talk about a mythical device and someone brought up the note 2. This is my exact point, if you want to say android does something I'm sure you can find an example either native or more likely some weird modification. Not all android devices are the note 2 and I'd argue over 99% arent. So its great someones note 2 can do it, but go tell that to the person who got theres free on cricket. I still feel this point will be lost on people and they will continue to argue with this mythical android device that no one uses, just becuase you can find certain instances were its been made to do certain things.

Either way androids market is primed to collapse. The sad thing is I feel for some people this hurts their view of their device. I've never chosen BB based on marketshare.

One more point, people dont seem to ever be forward thinking, they only take whats given to them at this time. You never heard anyone say anything bad when BB had a high marketshare. But I guess thats just human nature. I know I've been pro-RIM for about 2 years now after being a big iphone fan and people are only now starting to listen to me about RIM. How it goes I guess.
    01-17-13 03:58 PM
    Ah yes, more brilliant commentary from seeking alpha. What are the requirements to become a contributor there? Looks like they'll take anyone with a pulse.
    01-17-13 04:24 PM
    I made an argument that android users often talk about a mythical device and someone brought up the note 2. This is my exact point, if you want to say android does something I'm sure you can find an example either native or more likely some weird modification. Not all android devices are the note 2 and I'd argue over 99% arent. So its great someones note 2 can do it, but go tell that to the person who got theres free on cricket. I still feel this point will be lost on people and they will continue to argue with this mythical android device that no one uses, just becuase you can find certain instances were its been made to do certain things.
    It's called innovation. Take what you said about someone's Note 2 being able to do something, but tell that to the people who have free Android phones on cricket. Can't the exact same thing be turned around to say "BB10 will have features like peak and flow, but tell that to people who have free Curves on cricket?"

This years BlackBerries will be drastically different than the BB's of old. But it's silly to think that RIM is the only mobile tech company that's innovating.

ETA: I also don't understand why you keep calling the Note 2 a "mythical device." It's been available in the US since around Thanksgiving.

ETA2:

One more point, people dont seem to ever be forward thinking, they only take whats given to them at this time. You never heard anyone say anything bad when BB had a high marketshare. But I guess thats just human nature. I know I've been pro-RIM for about 2 years now after being a big iphone fan and people are only now starting to listen to me about RIM. How it goes I guess.
    Of course people weren't saying many bad things about RIM when they had high marketshare. People liked them. They were on top. But then the new kids in town, iOS and Android, came breezing into town and took the mobile world by storm. No spinning clocks, large touchscreens, tons of app storage, etc was the norm on these new devices. That's when the marketshare started to slide. RIM said they had an iPhone killer, they produced the Storm. RIM said they had devices that would leapfrog the competition, and they didn't.

It's pretty silly that you think people are starting to take notice just because YOU happen to like RIM. People are starting to take notice because influential people and even skeptics that have actually seen and used the devices are saying "No wait guys, just listen. BB10 is seriously cool. You'll be amazed." That's bound to perk a few ears and turn a few heads, then people do their own research and indeed find lots to be excited about.

ETA3: The Note 2 and Note 10.1 might be the only devices currently with the split screen functionality, but Samsung is putting out a Premium Suite upgrade putting that ability and others on the SGS3 and OG Note.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 01-17-13 at 05:47 PM.
    01-17-13 04:38 PM
    So. Seeking alpha. Aren't these the guys that had all the crap articles about rim when the stock was dropping like a rock? Now the stocks headed up and they are pumping it up with good article after good article. Making money in both directions I suppose.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    01-17-13 04:38 PM
    So. Seeking alpha. Aren't these the guys that had all the crap articles about rim when the stock was dropping like a rock? Now the stocks headed up and they are pumping it up with good article after good article. Making money in both directions I suppose.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    Same outfit....but they are still shouting out their rear end with nonsense

Research In Motion: The Party Is Over... Sell Now - Seeking Alpha
    01-17-13 04:46 PM
    Seeking Alpha is a bunch of independent writers. Each having his own following! Some better than others, yes. Some not very good at all, yes! Some are spot on! if interested people can't determine whos full of it/himself between who knows their stuff! They haven't far to look for the one that needs improvement.
    01-17-13 06:18 PM
    Seeking Alpha is a bunch of independent writers. Each having his own following! Some better than others, yes. Some not very good at all, yes! Some are spot on! if interested people can't determine whos full of it/himself between who knows their stuff! They haven't far to look for the one that needs improvement.
    5 Reasons Why It Is Better To Buy RIM Shares Than Apple | The Gadget Masters
    This guy nailed it!
    100% agree.most are independent. Some are not though. Howar some people on official staff of a site? I wonder sometimes and question what they write. Many agree with me in bbm groups
    Dapper37 and BergerKing like this.
    01-17-13 06:28 PM
    100% agree.most are independent. Some are not though. Howar some people on official staff of a site? I wonder sometimes and question what they write. Many agree with me in bbm groups
    I removed that article because I though it was a perticular Seeking Alpha author. Oops
    No matter what site I visit, I see questionable comments from so called officials. Crackberry included. They have their way I guess. doesn't meen I'll ever give them credit for their words!
    01-17-13 06:36 PM
    It's called innovation. Take what you said about someone's Note 2 being able to do something, but tell that to the people who have free Android phones on cricket. Can't the exact same thing be turned around to say "BB10 will have features like peak and flow, but tell that to people who have free Curves on cricket?"

This years BlackBerries will be drastically different than the BB's of old. But it's silly to think that RIM is the only mobile tech company that's innovating.

ETA: I also don't understand why you keep calling the Note 2 a "mythical device." It's been available in the US since around Thanksgiving.

ETA2:

Of course people weren't saying many bad things about RIM when they had high marketshare. People liked them. They were on top. But then the new kids in town, iOS and Android, came breezing into town and took the mobile world by storm. No spinning clocks, large touchscreens, tons of app storage, etc was the norm on these new devices. That's when the marketshare started to slide. RIM said they had an iPhone killer, they produced the Storm. RIM said they had devices that would leapfrog the competition, and they didn't.

It's pretty silly that you think people are starting to take notice just because YOU happen to like RIM. People are starting to take notice because influential people and even skeptics that have actually seen and used the devices are saying "No wait guys, just listen. BB10 is seriously cool. You'll be amazed." That's bound to perk a few ears and turn a few heads, then people do their own research and indeed find lots to be excited about.

ETA3: The Note 2 and Note 10.1 might be the only devices currently with the split screen functionality, but Samsung is putting out a Premium Suite upgrade putting that ability and others on the SGS3 and OG Note.
    Well said is.....well said!

Sent from a galaxy far away!
    01-17-13 08:58 PM
    I'm sorry but that article is hot garbage. I really want RIM to succeed but it's not going to be because Android fails. The average consumer doesn't know jack about smartphones and are gonna buy what their friends have or the salesperson shows them. Go into any Verizon, Sprint or AT&T store, what do you see? At least 70% Android phones. They're made by a million different companies and come at all sorts of price points and the cell companies make a nice chunk of change for their sale (Unlike Apple phones which they make very little) They also have the largest app eco system w/ Apple. Windows might have nice customer satisfaction ratings but it's not helping sales, what are they 5% of the market? There's definitely room for RIM but like Windows, it's probably going to be small and sales will be slow. The 2 year upgrade cycle really screws new types of smartphones because there's a limited amount of people that can even buy them upon release.
    01-17-13 09:47 PM
    I'm sorry but that article is hot garbage. I really want RIM to succeed but it's not going to be because Android fails. The average consumer doesn't know jack about smartphones and are gonna buy what their friends have or the salesperson shows them. Go into any Verizon, Sprint or AT&T store, what do you see? At least 70% Android phones. They're made by a million different companies and come at all sorts of price points and the cell companies make a nice chunk of change for their sale (Unlike Apple phones which they make very little) They also have the largest app eco system w/ Apple. Windows might have nice customer satisfaction ratings but it's not helping sales, what are they 5% of the market? There's definitely room for RIM but like Windows, it's probably going to be small and sales will be slow. The 2 year upgrade cycle really screws new types of smartphones because there's a limited amount of people that can even buy them upon release.
    Welcome to crackberry.

Not everyone is on the same upgrade cycle...
    01-17-13 10:08 PM
    I don't expect Android to disappear anytime soon, but I do see some handset makers using it shrinking to demise while trying to gain any ground on Samsung, though. HTC is taking it on the chin. Motorola is kind of in Google Limbo, Huawho, anyone? LG throws some out there, but they are pretty weak. Sony keeps throwing one out there every once in a while.

Personally, I'd love a resurgent BlackBerry, their boat is due.
    01-17-13 10:36 PM
    Welcome to crackberry.

Not everyone is on the same upgrade cycle...
    And some of us don't care about the cycle. We use what we wanna use as it suits us. One way or t'other.
    01-17-13 10:38 PM
    I honestly want android to disappear.

I will never use android. People can talk themselves blue in the face about how much they love it and how great flashing ROMs is but I will never use it. I'd prefer not having every single detail of my life known and monetized by google.

'Droids only popular cause its 'free' was widely adopted by OEMS and carriers pushed it icause it was an option vs apple. Things have changed, its not free and no ones making money off it. If android was so great why is samsung the only one doing well? Credit goes to samsung here people. They are the ones making money from their design and marketing.

Android will die and the 'droid-fans will be blind to as why. Just like they have no idea whats going on with RIM and how well position, managed and innovative they are. They focus on flashing roms and widgets. No idea about how money works. Giving something away for free is not sustainable, and giving something away for free that will never be allowed to charge for is an even worse idea, well unless you buy a device manufacturer. Hopefully moto can have a comeback. Most ironic thing is the legions of uninformed chanting for RIMs death yet it doesnt seem to be okay to do the same for 'droid. Well I hope it dies, cause its a crap cess pool platform with a foundation in procuring user data and we have plenty of emerging options in Tizen (will be pushed by the #1 manufacturer in the world, sorry android), Windows, Ubuntu, and BB to have many options. Oh, but wait, isn't a duopoly enough?

Edit: pantlesspenguin. I admit I'm a RIM/BB fanboy. I amazed you think you are not a 'droid-lover.

When BB10 comes out 100% of people will have the same experience (outside of X10 like devices)

This will NEVER happen with droid. Its called fragmentation. Again, 99% of droid users don't use Note 2, so thats about talking about this mythical android device that apparently everyone has. Furthermore, 'droid fans like to add this sum of random crap droid can do to one device if you customize or use different devices (cause apparently now everyone has a Note 2) that doesnt actually exist so theres a further meaning to the mythical device. No need for continued dialogue, I know you see it from your personal perspective of how you use the device, and love 'droid and not how 99% of people do or even CAN use theirs.

As for people starting to take notice cause of me? You are confused. People have trashed RIM for over 2 years, I have continually supported them becuase I see what they are doing. The bashers are dropping by the wayside but nothing has grand has fundamentally changed, the foundation was laid but these things take time. Countless people I talk to Personally, would regurgitate the BS heard in the media (sooooo many sound bites) but I spoke differently and had an opposing opinion and they acted like I was crazy (i posted this in a forum a while ago). I'm not taking credit for anything RIM has done. I'm just saying people speak out of ignorance and repeat what they hear too often and I'd prefer if they'd research and think for themselves. In hindsight? I dont care so much anymore, if people want to believe stuff that I think is stupid thats fine, I'll just find a way to benefit from it instead of wasting my time trying to have an intelligent conversation.
    Last edited by hurds; 01-18-13 at 12:45 AM.
    01-18-13 12:28 AM
    Alrighty...

Anyone catch Oprah today? Something about some cyclist taking a pain killer or two...
    01-18-13 12:36 AM
    Good try, trelawrence I as my sig shows, have an older android running Gingerbread2.3. I also have a blackberry. I will buy what does the job for me. I am totally intrigued with BB10, and REALLY want it to succeed, and I want a device. I am also a realist, with a brain, and therefore, will do a side by side comparison of the Z10, SGIII, and iphone 5S. THEN I will make my decision. IF they are close at all, I WILL get the Z10, but not if it falls too far short. All three platforms and their flagship devices work, work well, and will meet my needs, to a large degree.
    01-18-13 12:44 AM
    Good try, trelawrence I as my sig shows, have an older android running Gingerbread2.3. I also have a blackberry. I will buy what does the job for me. I am totally intrigued with BB10, and REALLY want it to succeed, and I want a device. I am also a realist, with a brain, and therefore, will do a side by side comparison of the Z10, SGIII, and iphone 5S. THEN I will make my decision. IF they are close at all, I WILL get the Z10, but not if it falls too far short. All three platforms and their flagship devices work, work well, and will meet my needs, to a large degree.
    I think this view is held by many. At this point, minus some persnickety things (like the need for a desktop companion... I hate desktop companions), I could be happy on any of the Big 4. I like that it is hard to choose. Good for all of us.
    01-18-13 12:47 AM
    Hogwash article. Ridiculous assertion.....if Android is dead, with 70% marketshare, we could say that RIM has been food for worms for the whole of 2011 and 2012.

Seriously ridiculous argument.

Hate Android, who cares. The vast majority of consumers on different price points don't.

I hated Android until I stopped being a close minded fangirl and tried the phones; three devices later it is a different approach from iOS and from BB and I love it. My SGIII has been my daily driver for over a month now.

There is nothing mythical about the device in my hand. It is simply more there for me, more reliably, more consistently, than my 9900. I had to get three 99xx series devices before I got one that didn't nuke itself. I have to do battery pulls at the very least twice a week. My 9810 nuked itself once. I haven't had my SGIII freeze *not one single time.* The battery life is *on a par* with my 9900. Right now, this so called mythical Android device is my partner during my day. I know it will be working when it comes out of my bag. Having had the slow blinking red light on my 9900, I can't say the same for the 99xx series. If there is no Android device that does it all, there certainly is no 9900 that does it all for me either. If it did, I would not have spent the cash on my SGIII when my Skyrocket went on a Metro ride without me.

I am waiting for my Z10. Whether I will rely on it the way I rely on my SGIII now is to be seen. But to say that Android is dying???? Hogwash.
    01-18-13 03:15 AM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BB10 is a game changer! ... I Have never heard in a while so many Android and iPhone users commenting to me that they are looking to change to bb10! ... Good news for RIM! ....
    01-18-13 03:24 AM
    BB10 will be a game changer.
    When BB inverts current marketshare numbers, then Android will have been dead.
    Pre January 2013, BB is an also-ran in current numbers. When I can go into a store to buy a BB and not worry whether there will be support in one year in my country on my carrier, I will be ecstatic because I PREFER it for CERTAIN functions, such as banking andcommunicating with *two* BBM contacts who are loved ones and who won't go near WhatsApp. EVERY OTHER task has gone over to my SGIII *TODAY.*
    Android is doing exceedingly well. To proclaim otherwise is hogwash.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-18-13 04:04 AM
    After playing with the BB10 I can say this, Android will have to throw some serious hardware at their OS to do what BB10 does. The processing power is immense. Everything happens in an instant, even when apps are closed and it continues the BBOS legacy of having lots of little useful features and lots of big features out of the box too, I'm wondering how are they gonna demo it all.
    01-18-13 05:14 AM
    I honestly want android to disappear.

I will never use android. People can talk themselves blue in the face about how much they love it and how great flashing ROMs is but I will never use it. I'd prefer not having every single detail of my life known and monetized by google.

'Droids only popular cause its 'free' was widely adopted by OEMS and carriers pushed it icause it was an option vs apple. Things have changed, its not free and no ones making money off it. If android was so great why is samsung the only one doing well? Credit goes to samsung here people. They are the ones making money from their design and marketing.

Android will die and the 'droid-fans will be blind to as why. Just like they have no idea whats going on with RIM and how well position, managed and innovative they are. They focus on flashing roms and widgets. No idea about how money works. Giving something away for free is not sustainable, and giving something away for free that will never be allowed to charge for is an even worse idea, well unless you buy a device manufacturer. Hopefully moto can have a comeback. Most ironic thing is the legions of uninformed chanting for RIMs death yet it doesnt seem to be okay to do the same for 'droid. Well I hope it dies, cause its a crap cess pool platform with a foundation in procuring user data and we have plenty of emerging options in Tizen (will be pushed by the #1 manufacturer in the world, sorry android), Windows, Ubuntu, and BB to have many options. Oh, but wait, isn't a duopoly enough?

Edit: pantlesspenguin. I admit I'm a RIM/BB fanboy. I amazed you think you are not a 'droid-lover.

When BB10 comes out 100% of people will have the same experience (outside of X10 like devices)

This will NEVER happen with droid. Its called fragmentation. Again, 99% of droid users don't use Note 2, so thats about talking about this mythical android device that apparently everyone has. Furthermore, 'droid fans like to add this sum of random crap droid can do to one device if you customize or use different devices (cause apparently now everyone has a Note 2) that doesnt actually exist so theres a further meaning to the mythical device. No need for continued dialogue, I know you see it from your personal perspective of how you use the device, and love 'droid and not how 99% of people do or even CAN use theirs.

As for people starting to take notice cause of me? You are confused. People have trashed RIM for over 2 years, I have continually supported them becuase I see what they are doing. The bashers are dropping by the wayside but nothing has grand has fundamentally changed, the foundation was laid but these things take time. Countless people I talk to Personally, would regurgitate the BS heard in the media (sooooo many sound bites) but I spoke differently and had an opposing opinion and they acted like I was crazy (i posted this in a forum a while ago). I'm not taking credit for anything RIM has done. I'm just saying people speak out of ignorance and repeat what they hear too often and I'd prefer if they'd research and think for themselves. In hindsight? I dont care so much anymore, if people want to believe stuff that I think is stupid thats fine, I'll just find a way to benefit from it instead of wasting my time trying to have an intelligent conversation.
    Honestly, no one cares if you want Android to disappear. No one. It's going to be around for awhile whether you like it or not. And no one is forcing you to use it.

One thing I do agree with you on, heck yeah Samsung deserves a ton of credit. When the perception was that manufacturers were pumping out Android devices at a fast pace, Samsung was able to put out a product that went above and beyond what anyone else was doing. Other manufacturers are now hurting and must produce something comparable or better to remain relevant. Again, this is how innovation works.

You keep bringing up the Note and how 99% of Android users aren't using it. Again, same can be said about the BB10 devices when they come out. You'll still have users waiting out their contracts on OS7 devices, people with prepaid Curves, etc. You can't make one argument without acknowledging the other. And the features will continue to get better. I dare you to watch the SGS4 keynote to get a picture of what's really happening out there. Want to talk about being informed? There's your chance. You have no idea what the typical Android user is like or what they use their devices for if you think the majoroty are into rooting and flashing roms. The segment of Android users who do that is marginal.

By the way, the operating system is called Android. Say it with me, An-droid. Android. Not Droid. Droid is a line of Android devices exclusive to Verizon. See the difference?

It's fine to be a RIM fanboy and support the brand, but it REALLY does a disservice when you can't seem to support it without spreading lies and misinformation about other brands. It's almost like you can't think of anything RIM has over the competition, so you yell and scream and cry trying to create a diversion. You mention wanting to engage in intelligent conversation, but you're unwilling to do that yourself.

And no, I'm not an "Android lover." It's what I currently use and I think it's great and I know enough about it to call out the BS when I see it. But I don't stick my head in the sand when it comes to what other platforms are doing and when something else emerges that suits my needs and exceeds my expectations then of course I'll use it despite what logo is on the back. And as soon as I get proficient at using my new device, you bet I'll counter the BS people try to spread about that one too.
    01-18-13 05:17 AM
79 123 ...