Honestly, no one cares if you want Android to disappear. No one. It's going to be around for awhile whether you like it or not. And no one is forcing you to use it.

One thing I do agree with you on, heck yeah Samsung deserves a ton of credit. When the perception was that manufacturers were pumping out Android devices at a fast pace, Samsung was able to put out a product that went above and beyond what anyone else was doing. Other manufacturers are now hurting and must produce something comparable or better to remain relevant. Again, this is how innovation works.

You keep bringing up the Note and how 99% of Android users aren't using it. Again, same can be said about the BB10 devices when they come out. You'll still have users waiting out their contracts on OS7 devices, people with prepaid Curves, etc. You can't make one argument without acknowledging the other. And the features will continue to get better. I dare you to watch the SGS4 keynote to get a picture of what's really happening out there. Want to talk about being informed? There's your chance. You have no idea what the typical Android user is like or what they use their devices for if you think the majoroty are into rooting and flashing roms. The segment of Android users who do that is marginal.

By the way, the operating system is called Android. Say it with me, An-droid. Android. Not Droid. Droid is a line of Android devices exclusive to Verizon. See the difference?

It's fine to be a RIM fanboy and support the brand, but it REALLY does a disservice when you can't seem to support it without spreading lies and misinformation about other brands. It's almost like you can't think of anything RIM has over the competition, so you yell and scream and cry trying to create a diversion. You mention wanting to engage in intelligent conversation, but you're unwilling to do that yourself.

And no, I'm not an "Android lover." It's what I currently use and I think it's great and I know enough about it to call out the BS when I see it. But I don't stick my head in the sand when it comes to what other platforms are doing and when something else emerges that suits my needs and exceeds my expectations then of course I'll use it despite what logo is on the back. And as soon as I get proficient at using my new device, you bet I'll counter the BS people try to spread about that one too.
    Thank you for your patience.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    reeneebob likes this.
    01-18-13 06:10 AM
    Thank you for your patience.

I'm in the customer service biz, patience is my middle name .

Seriously, I may not be fond of certain operating systems, iOS, for example. But you won't see me badmouthing them or wanting them to disappear. I'm clear-minded to recognize that the mobile realm would be a lot different if iOS had never been. I'm excited to see the new operating systems coming out as well. If each one pushes the envelope and offers consumers an experience that caters to their own personal needs...what exactly is the problem with that?? Sure, there probably won't be any such thing as a PERFECT operating system. But I believe it can get very close. With more operating systems hitting the scene, you'll see more of "what works for one may not work for another" sentimentality. Nothing good will come of blind fanboyism, but there will be so much to gain by keeping an open mind. It's that fact that will bring people back to BlackBerry, after all.
    01-18-13 08:39 AM
    I don't see much difference between this piece and something BGR, Giz, Misek, of any one of those other writers and analysts we all love so much. If we don't give those much credibility, why would we for this?

Success for RIM doesn't necessarily have to come from the failure of others...
    01-18-13 08:52 AM
    This. So much. I wish other people could see that. In fact, it would be even MORE impressive if RIM could claw back up the latter DESPITE the current popularity of other platforms!
    01-18-13 08:58 AM
    I don't see much difference between this piece and something BGR, Giz, Misek, of any one of those other writers and analysts we all love so much. If we don't give those much credibility, why would we for this?

Don't you love it????
    Negative article from some blogger on a tech site and ALL H E L L breaks loose.
    Positive article or and Android (or iOS) bashing article from some blogger on selfsame site and suddenly the skies open and choirs sing.

***Oh!!!! Looky here.....another article.....so this one is equally good, I presume....same blogger.....

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1000...i-am-skeptical

Article quoted below, in its entirety.

Research In Motion (RIMM) announced today that it will hold its BlackBerry� 10 launch event on January 30th, 2013. The event will happen simultaneously in multiple countries around the world. This day will mark the official launch of its new platform - BlackBerry 10, as well as the unveiling of the first two BlackBerry 10 smartphones. Details on the smartphones and their availability will be announced at the event.

The new BlackBerry 10 operating system (OS) will compete with Apple's (AAPL) iPhone, Google's (GOOG) Android OS, and Microsoft's (MSFT) new Windows Phone 8.

What does it offer?

As we all know, RIM has made its fortune serving the enterprise. It should come as no surprise then that they will offer some unique features targeted for this audience.

Their press release notes:

BlackBerry Hub allows users to quickly view all messages, notifications, etc. with a simple swipe. This, however, does not seem much different than the iOS Notification Center, and established Android features.

BB Keyboard is supposed to learn form your typing habits. Yet once again, this does not - on the surface at least - appear to be significantly different from existing systems.

BB Balance - This does appear to be to be a significant innovation. Essentially, it divides your phone into 2 phones - your personal phone and your business phone "and never the twain shall meet." All your business apps, contacts, etc., etc. are in a separate area from your personal items, and communications between the two are limited. Additionally, in a BYOD enterprise, IT has the option of wiping the business side of your phone, should it be deemed necessary, but this will leave your personal side unaffected.

The Telegraph notes:

RIM has thought this through impressively - you can't accidentally cut and paste from a work email to your personal account, or mix up your business and personal apps. When you have a personal app active, if you've been playing a game, say, the work apps are grayed out on screen. There are even two separate App World stores.

This feature, coupled with very strong security features for which RIM is traditionally known, should be a huge plus for the phones.

Hardware

Rumors are that "Techbyte has seen several of them, behind closed doors, and they are surprisingly glamorous, slick, slim and unmistakably 'BlackBerry' to the core."

Where did RIM go wrong?

RIM has charted an almost unprecedented collapse from a high of about $140, to a recent low of $6.22 (Friday close was $8.54). (One other crash was Palm, eventually bought by HP (HPQ) which also failed to compete with the iPhone.)

As Bloomberg notes:

With the announcement, RIM moves a step closer to finally introducing the new smartphones after at least two delays put the devices a year behind schedule.

This brings me to the point that I have made frequently over the years:

Operating Systems are difficult things to create!
    Businesses that do not recognize this are in for a rude surprise.

Apple had a huge advantage over almost everyone (a possible exception being Microsoft), in that it was able to convert its already advanced, stable OSX, and all its associated tools, to serve as the basis for its iconic iOS that runs its iDevice family. This provided a solid core and further development produced a surprisingly robust first edition of the iPhone.

The ease of use of a well designed interface lures people into thinking that it is easy to do. But nothing is further from the truth. The modern OS has literally man-centuries of labor into it. And a lot of this takes time. You cannot just throw more people on the problem. It just takes time for code to mature by going through numerous cycles of testing.

As noted in another post that explains in detail the cause of the collapse, RIM fell apart because it failed to realize the innovation of the iPhone. In repeated quotes, the twin CEOs repeatedly made total fools of themselves as they clearly were suffering from a severe case of denial. To wit:

[Apple and the iPhone is] kind of one more entrant into an already very busy space with lots of choice for consumers … But in terms of a sort of a sea-change for BlackBerry, I would think that's overstating it."- Jim Balsillie, February 2007. [ref]

Almost six years later, RIM is trying to battle its way back onto the playing field. But it has several very strong headwinds to face.

It is now player number 4 on the field (after Android, iOS, WinMob 8). Everybody talks about choice, but in the end what people want - particularly in business - is sameness. History has proven this no more clearly than the example of how MS Word took over the word processing software industry virtually eliminating the competition. It was not that Word Perfect was particularly inferior, it was that industry wanted ONE established product so that workers could effortlessly move between jobs. In the end, business believed that granting MSFT a monopoly was less expensive than either retraining or maintaining dual word processing systems. The same occurred in the Windows™ OS vs. Mac OS. The former took over almost exclusive dominance in part because once it achieved a dominant position, industry moved to standardize. This in spite of the fact that the Mac continually offered a total operating cost (TOC) way lower than that of Win PC.

Conclusion

And so today the question remains to be seen whether BlackBerry can achieve significant gains in a crowded field that really eschews diversity.

Much of this will depend on how well they can deliver on their promise of a solid platform.

Is the Hardware really that good?
    Is it solid and durable? (The iPhone apparently can survive intact a drop from about six feet high.)
    Is the OS solid?
    Is it fast and fluid?
    Consumers will tolerate a certain amount of bugs in a first version, but if the OS turns out to be intolerable, or fixes are a long time in coming, then the system will be

Personally, I am skeptical that RIM can pull this off. In the past they have made disastrous errors in this field. In following their own OS, they allow for significant differentiation of their product, but leave themselves open to the danger of poor implementation, and even worse, marginalization. I still feel they should never have rejected Nokia's offer to join forces on the MeeGo platform. Together they would have been a formidable team.

That said, they certainly will find some limited success with the remainders of their once strong fan base. Additionally, the innovative features may be enough to push their platform forward.

However, the key points in their success will be two:

The quality of their product, and
    Whether there is perceived a sufficient level of differentiation to warrant the investment in supporting a fourth platform.
    Disclosure:

I am long AAPL. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.

Last edited by qbnkelt; 01-18-13 at 09:30 AM.
    mikeo007 and Blacklatino like this.
    01-18-13 09:02 AM
    As much as we may not agree that android is not dead or dying any time soon, I think it is so called "agression" to tell someone no one cares what they think about an issue. This is a public forum and most of the stuff on here is opinions.
    01-18-13 11:53 AM
    As much as we may not agree that android is not dead or dying any time soon, I think it is so called "agression" to tell someone no one cares what they think about an issue. This is a public forum and most of the stuff on here is opinions.
    I agree and I apologize, hurds (and BUHC), for how that came across. I meant in the grand scheme of things, one little voice saying they hope android disappears isn't a drop in the pond. It would be the same as if I said Apple can rot because they'd rather sue than innovate. No one cares if I think that. Apple will still continue to sell well. That's what I meant, not that no one cares that you have a personal opinion.
    01-18-13 12:09 PM
    I honestly want android to disappear.
    I just can't wrap my head around that. Competition is good. While I think some of the hardware leaps are a bit silly at the moment, the reality is also that we have better hardware on phones in general due to the Android manufacturers. And you could argue that Android advances pushed others to be innovative.
    01-18-13 12:15 PM
    Love, love the fact people talk about security and don't want their info out there.....news flash it is out there and if some one wants it bad enough, they will get it.

I guess just get rid of the smartphone now and don't get on the internet, lol!

Sent from a galaxy far away!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-18-13 04:22 PM
    Can't all mobile OSes just get along? I like choice and what I choose has to work for me, no one else. If others find something different that works for them great.

The one thing I do wish is that they do communication with each other, phone, IM and video that isn't proprietary to one OS.
    01-18-13 04:43 PM
    wow....we either have some REALLY REALLY passionate members about their phones/OS or just really EMO. cant some of you guys just hug it out?? lol oh..and GO RIM!!
    01-18-13 04:48 PM
    This. So much. I wish other people could see that. In fact, it would be even MORE impressive if RIM could claw back up the latter DESPITE the current popularity of other platforms!
    Agree 100% sure I support RIM, I don't see any reason for less competition!
    Lots of us feel the same way, I believe. Yet the message gets lost in the conversation! only so many points and counters can be made in a post!
    Thanks
    01-18-13 05:29 PM
    The conversation is just noise now!
    01-18-13 05:32 PM
    Things are moving very fast right now for RIM, you just quoted an ancient article concidering.
    Nobody wants to stop the beating of their drum's on both sides. No one being innocent in the game playing.

Don't you love it????
    Negative article from some blogger on a tech site and ALL H E L L breaks loose.
    Positive article or and Android (or iOS) bashing article from some blogger on selfsame site and suddenly the skies open and choirs sing.

***Oh!!!! Looky here.....another article.....so this one is equally good, I presume....same blogger.....

RIM's New Handset - Why I Am Skeptical - Seeking Alpha

Article quoted below, in its entirety.

Research In Motion (RIMM) announced today that it will hold its BlackBerry� 10 launch event on January 30th, 2013. The event will happen simultaneously in multiple countries around the world. This day will mark the official launch of its new platform - BlackBerry 10, as well as the unveiling of the first two BlackBerry 10 smartphones. Details on the smartphones and their availability will be announced at the event.

The new BlackBerry 10 operating system (OS) will compete with Apple's (AAPL) iPhone, Google's (GOOG) Android OS, and Microsoft's (MSFT) new Windows Phone 8.

What does it offer?

As we all know, RIM has made its fortune serving the enterprise. It should come as no surprise then that they will offer some unique features targeted for this audience.

Their press release notes:

BlackBerry Hub allows users to quickly view all messages, notifications, etc. with a simple swipe. This, however, does not seem much different than the iOS Notification Center, and established Android features.

BB Keyboard is supposed to learn form your typing habits. Yet once again, this does not - on the surface at least - appear to be significantly different from existing systems.

BB Balance - This does appear to be to be a significant innovation. Essentially, it divides your phone into 2 phones - your personal phone and your business phone "and never the twain shall meet." All your business apps, contacts, etc., etc. are in a separate area from your personal items, and communications between the two are limited. Additionally, in a BYOD enterprise, IT has the option of wiping the business side of your phone, should it be deemed necessary, but this will leave your personal side unaffected.

The Telegraph notes:

RIM has thought this through impressively - you can't accidentally cut and paste from a work email to your personal account, or mix up your business and personal apps. When you have a personal app active, if you've been playing a game, say, the work apps are grayed out on screen. There are even two separate App World stores.

This feature, coupled with very strong security features for which RIM is traditionally known, should be a huge plus for the phones.

Hardware

Rumors are that "Techbyte has seen several of them, behind closed doors, and they are surprisingly glamorous, slick, slim and unmistakably 'BlackBerry' to the core."

Where did RIM go wrong?

RIM has charted an almost unprecedented collapse from a high of about $140, to a recent low of $6.22 (Friday close was $8.54). (One other crash was Palm, eventually bought by HP (HPQ) which also failed to compete with the iPhone.)

As Bloomberg notes:

With the announcement, RIM moves a step closer to finally introducing the new smartphones after at least two delays put the devices a year behind schedule.

This brings me to the point that I have made frequently over the years:

Operating Systems are difficult things to create!
    Businesses that do not recognize this are in for a rude surprise.

Apple had a huge advantage over almost everyone (a possible exception being Microsoft), in that it was able to convert its already advanced, stable OSX, and all its associated tools, to serve as the basis for its iconic iOS that runs its iDevice family. This provided a solid core and further development produced a surprisingly robust first edition of the iPhone.

The ease of use of a well designed interface lures people into thinking that it is easy to do. But nothing is further from the truth. The modern OS has literally man-centuries of labor into it. And a lot of this takes time. You cannot just throw more people on the problem. It just takes time for code to mature by going through numerous cycles of testing.

As noted in another post that explains in detail the cause of the collapse, RIM fell apart because it failed to realize the innovation of the iPhone. In repeated quotes, the twin CEOs repeatedly made total fools of themselves as they clearly were suffering from a severe case of denial. To wit:

[Apple and the iPhone is] kind of one more entrant into an already very busy space with lots of choice for consumers … But in terms of a sort of a sea-change for BlackBerry, I would think that's overstating it."- Jim Balsillie, February 2007. [ref]

Almost six years later, RIM is trying to battle its way back onto the playing field. But it has several very strong headwinds to face.

It is now player number 4 on the field (after Android, iOS, WinMob 8). Everybody talks about choice, but in the end what people want - particularly in business - is sameness. History has proven this no more clearly than the example of how MS Word took over the word processing software industry virtually eliminating the competition. It was not that Word Perfect was particularly inferior, it was that industry wanted ONE established product so that workers could effortlessly move between jobs. In the end, business believed that granting MSFT a monopoly was less expensive than either retraining or maintaining dual word processing systems. The same occurred in the Windows™ OS vs. Mac OS. The former took over almost exclusive dominance in part because once it achieved a dominant position, industry moved to standardize. This in spite of the fact that the Mac continually offered a total operating cost (TOC) way lower than that of Win PC.

Conclusion

And so today the question remains to be seen whether BlackBerry can achieve significant gains in a crowded field that really eschews diversity.

Much of this will depend on how well they can deliver on their promise of a solid platform.

Is the Hardware really that good?
    Is it solid and durable? (The iPhone apparently can survive intact a drop from about six feet high.)
    Is the OS solid?
    Is it fast and fluid?
    Consumers will tolerate a certain amount of bugs in a first version, but if the OS turns out to be intolerable, or fixes are a long time in coming, then the system will be

Personally, I am skeptical that RIM can pull this off. In the past they have made disastrous errors in this field. In following their own OS, they allow for significant differentiation of their product, but leave themselves open to the danger of poor implementation, and even worse, marginalization. I still feel they should never have rejected Nokia's offer to join forces on the MeeGo platform. Together they would have been a formidable team.

That said, they certainly will find some limited success with the remainders of their once strong fan base. Additionally, the innovative features may be enough to push their platform forward.

However, the key points in their success will be two:

The quality of their product, and
    Whether there is perceived a sufficient level of differentiation to warrant the investment in supporting a fourth platform.
    Disclosure:

I am long AAPL. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.

01-18-13 05:39 PM
    She quoted the article to show how wishy washy the author is, given he also wrote the one the OP brought up. It brings up the question why is it okay to trust them when they're pro RIM but denounce them when they're more critical?
    mikeo007 and BoldtotheMax like this.
    01-18-13 05:44 PM
    Things are moving very fast right now for RIM, you just quoted an ancient article concidering.
    Nobody wants to stop the beating of their drum's on both sides. No one being innocent in the game playing.
    First point - Ancient? November 2012.....ancient? Two months ago....ancient?????
    Second point - the reason I quoted the article is to show how ridiculous it is to go beating the drum, as you call it, for one blogger when he posts something that is considered postitive for RIM even if it's only by default, but pay no heed when the very same blogger writes an article that puts RIM in a negative light. As pantlesspenguin noted, I was pointing the hypocrisy of denouncing a writer when he writes negative about RIM but praise him when he writes something positive....same blogger.
    Picking the articles and picking the reactions.
    Question is, why would you miss that?
    01-18-13 07:51 PM
    Seeking Alpha is a bunch of independent writers. Each having his own following! Some better than others, yes. Some not very good at all, yes! Some are spot on! if interested people can't determine whos full of it/himself between who knows their stuff! They haven't far to look for the one that needs improvement.
    Many are holding positions in the stocks they are touting. I never expect anyone with a position to trade or give advice against his own treasure - so that's why I never take advice from anyone who trades for themselves.
    01-18-13 07:52 PM
    The conversation is just noise now!
    +1
    01-18-13 08:52 PM
    LOL!!!! The *article* and the *blogger* are just noise!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    01-18-13 10:39 PM
    I just bought a Note II as an alternate device and ported my land line to it. It is sitting on my desk peacefully right next to my Torch 9850 which is my primary mobile device. No big fights have broken out between the two. The Note is a fun and innovative smartphone and I wanted to learn more about the Android OS since some of my friends have them and are always asking me how to do various functions on their phones. Now I'll be able to help them more.

I'm anxiously waiting on BB10 and it will remain my primary phone that will be with me at all times. I love the BB platform. That said... my upgrade isn't until May. I bought the Playbook on Day 1; I bought my 9850 on Day 1; and this time, I'm OK waiting a few months since I really like my Torch, and I'm not limping along like I was with my Storm 1 back then.

I just read an article a few minutes ago that Apple stock is down and RIM up 8%. All this speculation and angst around who is "best" reminds me of the old Highlander TV series... "in the end there can be only ONE!" While that may be true for immortals, I don't think it really applies to smartphones. There's room for robust competition which keeps everyone on their best game!
    01-18-13 11:04 PM
    I just bought a Note II as an alternate device and ported my land line to it. It is sitting on my desk peacefully right next to my Torch 9850 which is my primary mobile device. No big fights have broken out between the two. The Note is a fun and innovative smartphone and I wanted to learn more about the Android OS since some of my friends have them and are always asking me how to do various functions on their phones. Now I'll be able to help them more.

I'm anxiously waiting on BB10 and it will remain my primary phone that will be with me at all times. I love the BB platform. That said... my upgrade isn't until May. I bought the Playbook on Day 1; I bought my 9850 on Day 1; and this time, I'm OK waiting a few months since I really like my Torch, and I'm not limping along like I was with my Storm 1 back then.

I just read an article a few minutes ago that Apple stock is down and RIM up 8%. All this speculation and angst around who is "best" reminds me of the old Highlander TV series... "in the end there can be only ONE!" While that may be true for immortals, I don't think it really applies to smartphones. There's room for robust competition which keeps everyone on their best game!
    Brilliant.
    Thank you so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Innerchild likes this.
    01-18-13 11:38 PM
    I honestly want android to disappear.

I will never use android. People can talk themselves blue in the face about how much they love it and how great flashing ROMs is but I will never use it. I'd prefer not having every single detail of my life known and monetized by google.

'Droids only popular cause its 'free' was widely adopted by OEMS and carriers pushed it icause it was an option vs apple. Things have changed, its not free and no ones making money off it. If android was so great why is samsung the only one doing well? Credit goes to samsung here people. They are the ones making money from their design and marketing.

Android will die and the 'droid-fans will be blind to as why. Just like they have no idea whats going on with RIM and how well position, managed and innovative they are. They focus on flashing roms and widgets. No idea about how money works. Giving something away for free is not sustainable, and giving something away for free that will never be allowed to charge for is an even worse idea, well unless you buy a device manufacturer. Hopefully moto can have a comeback. Most ironic thing is the legions of uninformed chanting for RIMs death yet it doesnt seem to be okay to do the same for 'droid. Well I hope it dies, cause its a crap cess pool platform with a foundation in procuring user data and we have plenty of emerging options in Tizen (will be pushed by the #1 manufacturer in the world, sorry android), Windows, Ubuntu, and BB to have many options. Oh, but wait, isn't a duopoly enough?

Edit: pantlesspenguin. I admit I'm a RIM/BB fanboy. I amazed you think you are not a 'droid-lover.

When BB10 comes out 100% of people will have the same experience (outside of X10 like devices)

This will NEVER happen with droid. Its called fragmentation. Again, 99% of droid users don't use Note 2, so thats about talking about this mythical android device that apparently everyone has. Furthermore, 'droid fans like to add this sum of random crap droid can do to one device if you customize or use different devices (cause apparently now everyone has a Note 2) that doesnt actually exist so theres a further meaning to the mythical device. No need for continued dialogue, I know you see it from your personal perspective of how you use the device, and love 'droid and not how 99% of people do or even CAN use theirs.

As for people starting to take notice cause of me? You are confused. People have trashed RIM for over 2 years, I have continually supported them becuase I see what they are doing. The bashers are dropping by the wayside but nothing has grand has fundamentally changed, the foundation was laid but these things take time. Countless people I talk to Personally, would regurgitate the BS heard in the media (sooooo many sound bites) but I spoke differently and had an opposing opinion and they acted like I was crazy (i posted this in a forum a while ago). I'm not taking credit for anything RIM has done. I'm just saying people speak out of ignorance and repeat what they hear too often and I'd prefer if they'd research and think for themselves. In hindsight? I dont care so much anymore, if people want to believe stuff that I think is stupid thats fine, I'll just find a way to benefit from it instead of wasting my time trying to have an intelligent conversation.
    PP is the same as me. Not a fan girl for a particular platform, but a fan girl of tech. She likes all platforms. Key difference between you and her. Your post smacks of taking your ball and going home. Android isn't going anywhere.

And I'm sorry, but your opinion is flawed. There's so much wrong or misrepresented in your wall of text I don't even know where to begin.

PHONE: Galaxy S3 Garnet Red
    ROM: AOKP Jellybean 4.2.1
    pantlesspenguin and jakie55 like this.
    01-19-13 12:01 AM
    The one thing I do wish is that they do communication with each other, phone, IM and video that isn't proprietary to one OS.
    I would be so happy if I could have BBM on my iPhone and my SGIII.

pantlesspenguin and jakie55 like this.
    01-19-13 04:13 AM
    Rim's success with some of the major players missing is like countries getting gold medals in Olympics where there were boycotts. There is always an Astrix attached to the total.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-19-13 05:46 AM
    Rim's success with some of the major players missing is like countries getting gold medals in Olympics where there were boycotts. There is always an Astrix attached to the total.
    THANK YOU!!! I was trying to come up with a similar analogy and fell short. Yours is spot on.
    01-19-13 06:16 AM
79 1234