lol, the PB REQUIRING the bridge and tether when other tablets can do the "bridge" functions without the bridge, i would say that is less, not more. i dont need to google to find how other tablets can bring more to the table.
    There is a standalone email app that doesn't require a BB paired so u actually don't need to bridge any phone to get those features. So you may need to consider using google.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-11 09:51 PM
    I don't think thats been made 100% clear. RIM says it will comes as the software evolves but that doesn't mean it will be there at release for the wifi unit.

I'm going with it means that it will be in the 4G version which would probably have it's own PIN and need for it's own email app with out the bridge because the unit will have a cellular radio in it.

IMO it doesn't make sense to have bridge and then have a native email on the device. If people are worried about security having the device wipe itself after x amount of wrong pasword attempts or remote wipe would take care of it.

I guess some people would want it reckon
    01-16-11 10:11 PM
    There is a standalone email app that doesn't require a BB paired so u actually don't need to bridge any phone to get those features. So you may need to consider using google.

actually we dont know that. It has an gmail app and that is all we know. In one video it was mentioned that he BMM, email, calendar and contacts apps wont even appear unless there is a bridge present.
    01-16-11 10:25 PM
    There was an interview with ryan somethin from rimm who stated there would be for people without blackberry's I'll try to find it and post it, I don't exactly remember what interview but I'll c if I can find it tomoro.

01-16-11 11:47 PM
    I very well may be confused about it. The PB does not interest me in the least anyway.
    Then why are you in the Playbook forum?

01-17-11 12:07 AM
    I got curious since howarmat you usually have a lot of useful info so i started doubting myself (mean it in a good way u've helped lots of peeps on the forums) but if you watch this video

http://crackberry.com/new-video-inte...sked-questions

Go to around the 3min 52 sec point Ryan states there will be native email, calendar etc apps. Hopefully it clears up things for people since its comming from a Rimm rep not just a random posting.
    01-17-11 12:08 AM
    I got curious since howarmat you usually have a lot of useful info so i started doubting myself (mean it in a good way u've helped lots of peeps on the forums) but if you watch this video

New video interview with BlackBerry PlayBook Product Manager addresses PlayBook FAQs - native email, calendar, etc. on the way! | CrackBerry.com

Go to around the 3min 52 sec point Ryan states there will be native email, calendar etc apps. Hopefully it clears up things for people since its comming from a Rimm rep not just a random posting.
    no he doesnt say they exist. that is the problem. he says "as the platform evolves." That is why there is still debate. That means currently they are NOT on there. the 4G version will have a different setup as it will have its own pin and data plan. But that doesnt mean RIM will make one for the WIFI one. the platform evolving means when a 3rd party developer decides to make one for all we know.
    01-17-11 04:37 AM
    That's what I was getting at also in my post on the other page.

It's still not clear. I'm sure the 4G will have them because it can operate independent of the BB or at least I hope it would
    01-17-11 08:49 AM
    When they announced the Playbook they said that it would support other app stores however at CES they modified it and said that it will only support AppWorld initially.
    01-18-11 03:38 AM
    Thanks Duo. I was trying to figure out why were people upset about this.
    01-18-11 07:37 AM
    There are just alot of things that arent clear in general about the PB. They will have to clear some of these things up soon. If the Xoom hits in february before this device then some people will start buying that since they still dont know how the PB will work
    01-18-11 09:55 AM
    Matt this was on engadget yesterday

RIM: PlayBook is a 'great standalone tablet,' not 'reliant on a BlackBerry' -- Engadget

Still seems like it's evolving unless engadget is referring to the youtube clip a week or two ago.

Sounds like double speak to me and I'm pretty sure someone at RIM has been asked or has even read this forum about the email situation. Why can't we just get a straight yes/no, this is how it will work out of the box answer?

So until I hear a yes or no and not a double speak I'm going to say the release Wifi version of the PB will not have exchange active sync, only a Gmail app or bridging.

The native email will be on the 4G PB and I doubt it will have exchange active sync either.

I don't want to use web base email on my device. I rather use a native email client that is laid out to utilize the the screen space and device. Oh and I don't like using Outlook Web Client.

I'd love for RIM to prove me wrong though, I think that's one of my biggest hang up's. Also I didn't think I'd want a 3G device since I could make a hot spot with my phone but after thinking about it I think I want one with a cell radio on a carrier other than the one my phone is on and gps built in. I can think of times when I would use it vs the hot spot. As long as the carriers offer pay as you go service but the reason for me wanting it is another topic

Has RIM said when carriers other than Sprint will be getting the PB? Sprint is a no go and also a 4G tablet that can't fall back to 3G is a no go.
    01-18-11 10:40 AM
    all he is doing is refurring to the same video, even quotes the "as the platform evolves" line
    01-18-11 10:50 AM
    Has RIM said when carriers other than Sprint will be getting the PB? Sprint is a no go and also a 4G tablet that can't fall back to 3G is a no go.
    no they havent, whats quite odd is as you mention the no 3G, because if they (and im presuming they will) start shipping to outside the US with sim capability, then 4G isnt gonna work. nowhere outside the north american markets has 4G
    01-18-11 10:51 AM
    all he is doing is refurring to the same video, even quotes the "as the platform evolves" line
    Ok thanks. Still the question needs to be answered once and for all IMO
    01-18-11 11:18 AM
    no they havent, whats quite odd is as you mention the no 3G, because if they (and im presuming they will) start shipping to outside the US with sim capability, then 4G isnt gonna work. nowhere outside the north american markets has 4G
    I think the 4G thing baffles me a tad more than the email although it's really up there. I can't see why someone would buy a 4G tablet that couldn't roll back to 3G especially when Sprints 4G coverage isn't that large.

I would have to think that RIM is releasing a 3G version that will ship over seas. I just want to know when would it be in the states.

I rather them do like Moto plans to do. Offer the 3G and you can update it later to 4G as long as the price to do it is free or $60-75 I'd take that deal in a heart beat. It would definite keep your device from being outdated.

I'm not one to buy a new device every year. Whatever I buy I plan to use hopefully for 4-5 years :-)
    01-18-11 11:24 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD