Hi all im new here and thinking about replacing my plain Jane phone with a blackberry, either a storm or curve and will be purchasing it via craigslist or eBay and was wondering what i need to know before purchasing one.. i know about checking the esn # but i heard to use bb messaging you need a pin which is device specific, will that still be usable by me if it was used so i can add my friends that have it too? I will be activating it on Verizon network if that makes a difference.
    07-15-10 10:07 AM
    If you are going to purchase on Craigs list you really should be careful
    Have the seller meet you at a verizon store. You can check it out there and can also easily get it activated while there. I wouldn't meet the seller anywhere else
    Too many horror stories of stolen phones. Phones not working properly etc
    If you don't take precautions to guard yourself and your money you could be ripped off
    I don't know why you just don't get the phone from Verizon. If you are due for an upgrade you will get the pricing. You can get the curve for 29 bucks after rebate. That's the price I paid
    Make your decision wisely. I hope you take my suggestion. Also the BB has a pin number.
    Good luck to you. Let us know what you do

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-10 02:46 PM
    Check the CB marketplace forum for a used device, lots of good deals there.

The PIN is hard-coded nito the device.
    07-15-10 02:49 PM
    If you are going to be using Verizon, you must purchase a Verizon branded phone. Sprint or other carriers' phones will not be activated by Verizon.
    07-15-10 08:57 PM
    Thanks all I decided to buy a used blackberry storm, it was in great shape and i checked it over really well and everything worked out great. Now im trying to get used to it. Im a new BB user so still figuring out how it works.
    07-15-10 10:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD