View Poll Results: Do you purchase themes

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 31.20%
  • No

86 68.80%
    I have not paid for any themes. I've had my bb for 3mths now & just dnwld my first 2 themes for free. With as many themes avail in the cb forums-i don't think I would pay for a theme unless I saw 1 that I was like 'wow!' . I am happy with the themes that r on my curve as well-i just change the wallpaper to suit my mood-which I also get here from cb!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 10:19 AM
    I don't like to pay for a theme. I mean, I understand that people put in the effort to put them together, but why charge some $7 for it when anyone can find one that looks exactly like it for free! You probably are only going to use it for about a week, at the most, so I see no sense in paying for one.

Last edited by skullgame45; 03-10-09 at 12:56 PM.
    03-10-09 10:33 AM
    I don't pay for themes as there are so many for free out there that I don't need to. Also, I tend to not keep the same theme for too long, so it'd be an ultimate waste of money. I WILL pay for apps though, no question there..
    03-10-09 10:37 AM
    As far as quality free themes, it depends on what an individual considers to be "quality". I pay for most of my themes, because I think folks who make good themes should be compensated. I don't make them myself (and have no desire to do so), so if others didn't make them, "Mitchell" wouldn't be nearly as...stylish and fun to use.

elycruz makes gorgeous free themes, and I definitely think he should charge for them. Gadgetbean and Hedone Designs are the best, for purchasing themes. They pay attention to the small design details, that make the difference in how a theme looks and performs.

People often don't appreciate "free". They expect the world, for free.
    03-10-09 11:17 AM
    Igenerally don t buy mine and I am a theme
    Hog but I have found some great free ones

03-10-09 11:57 AM
    Almost all of the themes I have are free. I have only bought 3 or 4 themes and I've never spent more than $4.00 on a theme. I can't see spending a huge amount of money on a theme, but for a few bucks I say why not.
    03-10-09 12:37 PM
    otherwise I will go for the free ones.
    03-10-09 12:41 PM
    i dont pay for them because i switch so fast... i wont pay 7 bucks for something that i wont use that long or that often. and i also wont pay because of the fact that i like the visual aspect of what i see, but after i download it i dont like it so much. either the focus annoys me or the lag time starts my OCD going off.

but i understand why some would charge.. i have started making my own and durn.... it is a long process.
    03-10-09 12:41 PM
    I've bought 2, one I was disappointed with (the bPlay aquarium) but I HAD to have Crossbar. I lovve Crossbar, if it didn't use the comic sans font for menus it would be the only theme I use.

I use it, the new CB one, the default L theme and I think NancyDrew did the precision red theme...which I also adore.
    03-10-09 12:43 PM
    I'm like the other guy I always go back to default Zen!
    03-10-09 12:51 PM
    i scouted for 2 months and tried every free theme i thought i would like. I made a list of what i liked and didnt like and evetually i found a theme that had EVERYTHING i wanted. I bought it for 7.99 i think and i have never regretted it. Though i dont intend to buy another theme for atleast a year.
    Last edited by zencyl; 03-10-09 at 01:14 PM. Reason: cant spell
    03-10-09 01:13 PM
    That is when you become an addict.......................
    03-10-09 01:33 PM
    I do not buy themes because it's a phone.... Yes, I understand that people put a lot of hard work into making the themes. I use to make premium websites for clans, churches, friends, businesses, etc... I did not charge for my work because I didn't feel that it was right. This is the internet for crying out loud...

My point is, if your doing this for money then you're in it for the wrong reasons. Do it for fun, because you enjoy helping people, or just to learn. Everybody wins that way!

I do like the idea of donations!
    03-10-09 01:37 PM
    I do not buy themes because it's a phone.... Yes, I understand that people put a lot of hard work into making the themes. I use to make premium websites for clans, churches, friends, businesses, etc... I did not charge for my work because I didn't feel that it was right. This is the internet for crying out loud...

My point is, if your doing this for money then you're in it for the wrong reasons. Do it for fun, because you enjoy helping people, or just to learn. Everybody wins that way!

I do like the idea of donations!
    This is not about if it's right or wrong to charge for themes, because it truly isn't...right or wrong. If someone wants to charge for making themes, what does the internet have to do with it? That's their right, and their motives should not even be brought into it. You, as a consumer, either choose to buy, or not to buy - which is what the thread is about: Do you buy or not, and why.

If you made websites, because you enjoyed it and wanted to offer them for free, then that was your decision, based on your personal convictions. Nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 03-10-09 at 07:50 PM. Reason: word edit
    03-10-09 02:06 PM
    I waisted my money on ringtones for dumb-phones, that I lost when I got a new phone. I only make my own ringtones wallpaper and such. Although I haven't taken the time to learn how to make themes yet.

I just haven't seen the need to use anything other than Dimension L theme.
    03-10-09 03:05 PM
    I don't pay for themes because I know that I could make them on my own if I had to. I've done it in the past, and AG knows I put a lot of work into them and offered all of them for free.

That said, I am not above making a donation to a theme artist that does it because they enjoy it and also offer their stuff for free.
    03-10-09 05:26 PM
    I don't have the need to! I've tried to change themes, I really have, but the "Azul" theme is just perfect!
    03-10-09 05:53 PM
    I have yet to see any themes worth paying for, but if I find any good ones I will. What themes have you guys paid for?
    03-10-09 06:17 PM
    I don't buy themes not because I don't wanna spend money on theme but those I really like and would pay for in a heartbeat r not for the PearlFlip. I mean not even a Premium ones look nice enough to pay for. Sad.

follow me on Twitter / krisztibi

Check out the Free CB Theme. What? u can't find it? IT'S BECAUSE THERE IS NONE FOR THE FLIP. EVERY OTHER DEVICE BUT THE FLIP. Is the Flip the stepchild of CB or what? Stop laughing isn't funny.
    Last edited by krisztibi; 03-10-09 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Adding smtg
    03-10-09 07:22 PM
    I've done it in the past, and AG knows I put a lot of work into them and offered all of them for free.

That I do. Of the 3 themes I have the 2 you did because I asked are among my
    favorites. If you had a donation button I'd use it.

Nice seeing everyones insight on this.
    03-10-09 10:06 PM
    I'm a new BB user (2 weeks now, I think) and I've already bought two themes. I haven't even tried one of them yet because I liked the first one so much! I cannot even remember who made it, but it was $7.00...maybe even $7.50! I really do love it, though. It's clean, simplistic and, mostly, red.
    03-10-09 11:03 PM
    Nope, it was $7.00.
    03-10-09 11:12 PM
    This is not about if it's right or wrong to charge for themes
    You're right....

I do not buy themes because it's a phone....
    03-10-09 11:21 PM
    I purchased the iberry 2.0 theme and loved it, but I found an even sweeter looking theme here @ crackberry free of charge. I spent 7 bucks on the iberry theme, but I wanted it that much. That saying "you get what you pay for" doesn't apply in my case. I only wish I found this theme sooner; I would've never bought the iberry theme.

03-10-09 11:28 PM
    That I do. Of the 3 themes I have the 2 you did because I asked are among my
    favorites. If you had a donation button I'd use it.
    I'm glad you're still enjoying them. I'm thinking about porting them over to the Bold for my own use.
    03-10-09 11:55 PM
92 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD