I have been a firm believer in RIM...and BB user for many years. I like what I am hearing about RIM. And interested in buying some stock in RIM. But I am not sure how to do it. Can someone give me some advice? I don't want to go thru a broker and pay fees.
    09-26-12 06:36 PM
    Sign up with eTrade or something similar. Youre going to pay fees no matter what, at least with something like eTrade you only pay a small or flat fee, which is nice if RIMM is the only stock you plan on buying and arent going to do alot of trading.
    PestPro#IM likes this.
    09-26-12 06:40 PM
    I don't know who you bank with but this is what I,ve learned.

1. Never buy a stock unless you can afford to part with the money.
    2. you with need an investment account.
    3. You will be serviced charged out the hind end untill you have around 20K invested (depends on you bank) 80ish bucks per year.
    4. Expect to pay $20 for each trade.

Not a banker or investment guru by any means so tip 5

5. Do your homework
    PestPro#IM likes this.
    09-26-12 06:43 PM
    ive actually been looking into this myself for the past couple months. I just opened up an investment account with my bank last weekend, and plan to start buying Rim shares (gonna wait till after tomorrows earnings call or w/e ).

I looked at questrade initially. You can actually sign up for a free fake-money account for 10 days. It lets you try out their system and get a feel for what its all about, without putting in any real money.....i found it great since i was (am) a complete newbie myself. It was a little too much information i found, unless you've actually studied economics/finance and know alot of the jargon, but you can play with the program and buy shares (they give you $500,000 to play with) and get a feel for how its done on a practical level. Plus they seem to have great customer service. A rep actually called me a day after i signed up for the trial account and offered to answer any questions i had regarding their service, or just about trading in general. It kinda caught me by surprise cuz i wasnt expecting it, and he actually woke me up from a nap lol.....but it was nice touch.

In the end though i decided to go through my bank. I figure, the ability to go see someone in person, should i ever have the need is worth the few extra bucks. If you're in canada, you can open an investment account through a tax free savings account (tfsa) and not have any income you make taxed (theres a bit more to it of course). Its one way to cut down on various fees and whatnot.
    PestPro#IM likes this.
    09-26-12 07:05 PM
    simple, open a trading account with scottrade or etrade (free of cost not required to maintain any money), a trade (either a buy or a sell) on a avg costs $7, either you may choose to link your bank account to the trading account to transfer money to buy shares or simply visit one of many local branchs (scottrade) and deposit money into your trading account to buy shares.
    09-26-12 07:27 PM
    Transfer all your money into my bank account and I will do it for you.
    09-26-12 07:37 PM
    You can open an account at Zecco Trading.
    https://www.zecco.com/
    You will get charged $4.95 pero stock trade, it's the cheapest I have found online, you can also consider TD Ameritrade which is the biggest Online broker, they have the best trading software available in the market and is more suitable if you intend to trade with Options. Stock trades at TD Ameritrade are $9.99.
    https://www.tdameritrade.com/welcome1.html

Hope that this helps,
    Best regards,
    Juan
    09-26-12 07:40 PM
    I too am interested in getting RIMM stocks. However, base on my reading from here in the past several months, it's best to wait until just after BB10 is launch. Apparently, there will be more bad news before there's any good news for RIM. Any other places will advise you not to buy. This is the only site that has positive news about RIM. So the odd is against RIM to succeed. Don't let your emotion on BB10 to distract you from the facts and figure unless you have a few thousand dollars that you have no problem of losing.
    09-26-12 08:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD