07-15-08 05:28 PM
- Purchasing a Blackberry has been suggested to me by several people to the point where it seems like the right decision for me. I have done some research (including great insights on this site) and have wittled the decision down to a Curve 8310, 8320 or 8820.
Given that I do not need the device for work (I am a teacher) I do not want to pay an arm and a leg for a new device. I have been scouring ebay and local "Used" sites and there is a ton out there.
I do not, however, want to end up buying a phone that ends up not working with my Rogers (Canada) plan.
So I guess the question is whether ebay sellers (and others) who advertise "unlocked" or "open" Blackberries really have units that I can simply slip a SIM card into and start using it? I have noticed also that some sellers do not include many accessories or software, which raises a red flag for me.
Any advice or link to a thread where this has been discussed would be most appreciated.
ML07-15-08 08:54 AM
- Reed McLayRetired ModeratorWelcome to CrackBerry.
Buying a phone from eBay has it challenges, but the feedback system does work for you.
The well established seller can be counted on to supply exactly what they describe. Their ongoing reputation depends on it.
A less well established seller gives you more grounds for pause, but you will still have payment protection if you use PayPal. If there are any disputes over the merchandise, they will hold back payment until you are satisfied.
Buying from other sources offers less protection. A lot of the BlackBerrys listed on Craigs list are legitimate, but there are likely to be stolen and otherwise misrepresented devices. There is not protection once you hand over the cash.
This will help, BlackBerrys advise on buying used.
Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ07-15-08 09:03 AM
- I bought mine off of eBay and I just made sure I bought brand new in box BB. In your case just get a NIB (New In Box) unlocked one and you should be safe. Oh yeah make sure the person has a good rating and check some of the reviews people have left the person.
Good Luck07-15-08 10:30 AM
- Bought my first 8310 on ebay just check the seller out good feedback, rating, and contact the seller and ask some questions. Make sure it is NIB unlocked phone and the necessary items that suppose to come with. I did not the Desktop Manager CD but the seller told me upfront. Really good prices out there.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com07-15-08 04:12 PM
- My 8300 stopped working, purchased 12/07 and when I took it to ATT Corporate store they called Warranty Division and apparently after some discussion they deemed it due to moisture damage. I live at the NJ Shore and the little inside piece was not bright white. I was offered a new phone at bust out retail since I am not eligible for a upgrade.
Where do I buy a Blackberry cheaper and will it have e-mail capability?
Thanks, it takes a bad situation to find a good forum....07-15-08 04:20 PM
- Reed McLayRetired ModeratorI am seeing "Buy it Now" new 8310 for $349. Not much a of deal there.
Odds are good individual 8310 will show up with some use and at lower prices.
BlackBerry Curve 8310 - AT&T/T-Mobile Unlocked - eBay (item 290246008852 end time Jul-15-08 14:59:30 PDT)
$200 is the current bid, but that is likely to change over the next 15 min.
It sold for $200.
Last edited by Stoner; 07-15-08 at 05:10 PM.07-15-08 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD