I'm in the market for a new bb phone my torch 9800 is on its last legs I still have a year to go before my carrier lets me upgrade so I'm going the craigs list route to save a few $. I'm in Canada on the bell network what I want to know is what's an easy way to determine if the berry I'm purchasing will work on my network.
    12-28-11 03:47 AM
    I'd make sure it was on the network I pay for every month. For you, if the phone says Bell, it should work as long as it's not reported stolen or anything. If you have doubts about whether a phone will work, get the IMEI/ESN # from it and call Bell customer support and check before you buy it.
    skibnik likes this.
    12-28-11 10:15 AM
    I'd make sure it was on the network I pay for every month. For you, if the phone says Bell, it should work as long as it's not reported stolen or anything. If you have doubts about whether a phone will work, get the IMEI/ESN # from it and call Bell customer support and check before you buy it.
    Thanks great idea only one problem I'm a complete noob when it comes to navigating the advanced menus how would I do this+ My main concern was somebody trying to palm off a phone that doesn't work on my network wind comes to mind how do I check what signal the phone uses?
    12-28-11 01:30 PM
    You could always try and arrange to meet the seller at a Bell store you can see right then and there if:

a)It'll work on Bell's network
    b)If the phone is legit and not stolen property

As far as I know, Bell supports all of the new OS7 Phones except for the 9930 which is fine cause that's the same as the 9900.
    12-28-11 01:57 PM
    Thanks great idea only one problem I'm a complete noob when it comes to navigating the advanced menus how would I do this+ My main concern was somebody trying to palm off a phone that doesn't work on my network wind comes to mind how do I check what signal the phone uses?
    IMEI numbers are under the battery. Take it out and call from your activated phone and ask CS if it'll work on your account.

As for the signal - that's the carrier. In the US, Verizon uses CDMA while AT&T uses GSM. I'm not up to speed on my Canadian carriers, so perhaps a fellow poster could tell you which carrier uses which radio or you could always just do a web search.
    skibnik likes this.
    12-28-11 02:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD