my sister needs a new phone and i decided that i'll get her a blackberry as a gift. the only problem is i cant decide on which one to buy, she doesn't need anything fancy or the latest and greatest. something that is user friendly, i'm leaning towards the pearl. another question is where can i get one for cheap?
    05-27-09 05:47 AM
    If you are a new client to any phone company you usually get a rebate. shop around because the pearl is pretty popular and since its not brand spanking new maybe cheaper than the newest model. You should also look into the BB flip-phone she may like that as well. Good luck and I hope your sister enjoys her new life!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 05:54 AM
    actually her contract isn't up for another year or so, i was thinking about buying it from a third party. thanks for the help!
    05-27-09 06:01 AM
    The Curve series, 83 and 8900, it's sexy..

05-27-09 06:32 AM
    Keep in mind some carriers now require Smartphones to have data plans.

You may want to check on that as it would be unfortuante to give her a gift thatends up rasing her monthly bill
    05-27-09 09:04 AM
    I'd recommend the curve. I was going to get a pearl, and had a friend (another girl ) talk me into the curve. I love it. The full keyboard is really worth having a little bit of a wider phone. That being said, I've seen the pearl flip and that's a nice looking phone, too, but I love my full keyboard more.

What a nice brother you are.
    05-27-09 12:08 PM
    Try the 8900 or the pearl flip.
    05-27-09 01:01 PM
    Forget the pearl, I would get her a curve....common and becoming cheaper by the day

05-27-09 01:14 PM
    Everybody is entitled to an opinion. IMHO, the Pearl is the sweet spot. Slim, thin and fully capable.

If she is on T-Mobile too, consider an 8120 Pearl. Even if she does not subscribe to BIS, it will use uma for voice and SMS text.

Check eBay for deals on lightly used models.
    05-27-09 01:33 PM
    Unless your sister actually said she wants a blackberry, I wouldn't get her one...

05-27-09 02:08 PM
    Since you're getting it for her as a gift, I'm going to assume she doesn't know you're getting it for her. Get her a blackberry! LOL

Anyway, I would suggest the Pearl also
    05-27-09 02:16 PM
    I vote for the 8120 Pearl as well. She can use WiFi if she doesn't want the data package. It has everything she would use and she could download apps she doesn't have. It's slim and fits nicely in your hand. It's the perfect starter BB, imo.

I have one now I'm selling if you're interested. I thought about keeping it as a backup (getting a Curve) in case my children decide to try putting it in the toilet again.
    05-27-09 02:19 PM
    my sister needs a new phone and i decided that i'll get her a blackberry as a gift. the only problem is i cant decide on which one to buy, she doesn't need anything fancy or the latest and greatest. something that is user friendly, i'm leaning towards the pearl. another question is where can i get one for cheap?

I suggest taking her to her carrier's store,with and see which phones or PDA she seems to like.

#1 rule
    in gift giving, do NOT give a gift, that is going to cost the giftee any money after the fact, especialy if they have to change their current costs to make the device work as it should. So if she does not have a phone with a data plan now, make sure she can handle it or wants the extra cost later, or that it's going to cost the same or less if things have to be changed to get the same level of service their getting now. But of course if you'll be footing the bill for the data plan go for it! BTW my Bday is in the 31st of May.... *cough* 8900

#2 rule in gift giving, never give electronics if you have no idea if they will even want or need the brand you are picking out, just because you have it.

Unless this is a "surprise gift", better to find out what she actually likes as far as a cell phone, even if it will be a late Bday gift.
    05-27-09 02:35 PM
    I think this is a very sweet gesture, & I completely understand wanting to convert all your friends & fam to bb's. But dude that's gona be an expensive gift! Its going to run you about $360 a year to pay for the data package that she didn't ask for.

05-28-09 02:18 AM
    decided on the 8900, thanks. plus we got the hook up on the data plan
    05-28-09 04:55 AM
    decided on the 8900, thanks. plus we got the hook up on the data plan
    What exactly do you mean by "hook up on the data plan" ??

05-28-09 08:58 AM
    I was wondering that myself...
    05-28-09 11:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD