Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Buying BB Bold 9900 off kijiji

Hey guys,

I am about to buy "brand new, unlocked, never used, sealed" bold 9900 off kijiji. I have read through couple of forums about buying from KJ and CL, but still have couple of questions. Its going to be my first BB phone so I am confused. Some say that if its sealed than its safe to buy. But how can it be both unlocked and sealed, I thought you have to input an unlock code for that? Secondly, How can I check that PIN is not blocked? What other advices can you guys give me?

Thank you in advance
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund

You should be able to get the IMEI number of the phone before hand, and run it through and IMEI search to make sure it's not been stolen (and thus blocked). Also, be sure the phone powers on when you go to look at it.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    CrackBerry Genius

Hey asv1988,

Same. If its local go and collect it and make sure every thing works ok. If it is sealed and they say it works and it is all above board then they won't mind you opening it to test everything is in order.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thank you RickRoller, but how can I run IMEI through?
    Last edited by asv1988; 01-29-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,042 Global Posts

There is no way I would purchase a 9900 used. Even if it is unopened, my understanding is that you cannot warranty it without being the original purchaser. Not trying to deter you from buying it, but is something you should know prior to purchasing.
    CrackBerry Addict

I bought mine from ebay, and it has never failed me. However, it wasn't brand new as it didn't have the plastic cover on the screen, and the battery door was a bit scratched on the edges. If you have a chance to see it before buying, examine it well and turn it on.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    PIN
    322D4970

You can get a SquareTrade warranty though.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

So does this mean, even if the device is brand new and still has the warranty, that I won't be able to use that warranty if the device bricks(by the way how likely is that?).
    ALso, if I get it from Rogers, for 550+tax, will I be able to get a new one if mine bricks based on bold 9900 warranty?
    Do white ones brick less or it doesn't really matter which one to get?(I just thought because white was released just recently, it may have been fixed, or at least bricks less)?

I am just afraid that if I get one from kijiji and it bricks(loooooots of people report having bricked bb 9900) that I will be left with a very expensive piece of s**t?

Any Ideas will be welcome))))
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts

Well I don't know how you can buy a sealed unlocked BB with the North American Bands. As far as I know all these phones go through one carrier or another. The only way to unlock it is to open the box and physically unlock the phone.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,244 Global Posts

It can be unbranded unlocked Blackberry device..
    Or just a new one that was opened once to unlock it... anyway if it's a brand new sealed Blackberry device then you can always unlock it by yourself by using Blackberry unlocking web services online.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    514 Global Posts

If the handset is unlocked and sealed then it obviously means that the handset is a debranded handset come straight from blackberry themselves but this guy is selling it on.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

I posted a similar thread on getting a BB through methods like this a while ago; it proved useful with a lot of good tips from the community. Not sure if it'll directly help, but you can check it out at: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...y-tips-675740/

All I can really add besides that is that judging the person's character is crucial. You can usually determine this off of subtle details like the way messages/information appear or were delivered + any previous selling history (if there is).

I went through an arguably riskier route for my purchase (ebay), but looking carefully at these factors left me with an honest deal.
    Cheers,
    - cm
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

So my final, i guess, question is, if I buy bold 9900 from kijiji and it will still have original warranty, is there any way I would be able to exchange it for a new one from RIM if it bricks/nukes? Does it really matter on whose name the warranty is, or it doesn't matter as long as phone has that warranty?

Thanks in advance