is it possible to buy it and then get it unlocked so i can use it with sprint?
    11-15-08 11:51 AM
    No Because I may be wrong but the Verizon is CDMA but the Vodaphone Model is GSM so if you want a Unlocked Storm, go with the Vodaphone.

LONG LIVE BB
    11-15-08 11:56 AM
    No Because I may be wrong but the Verizon is CDMA but the Vodaphone Model is GSM so if you want a Unlocked Storm, go with the Vodaphone.

LONG LIVE BB
    could you tell me what CDMA and GSM means and what is vodaphone?
    thanks!
    11-15-08 12:00 PM
    The technology is different as far as antennas and frequencies. AT&T , T-Mobile are GSM and Verizon and Sprint are CDMA. GSM can be unlocked and use Sim cards.
    Vodafone is just another phone company over seas.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by damage76; 11-15-08 at 12:39 PM.
    11-15-08 12:37 PM
    No unlock needed for CDMA side of the Storm. You would just need Sprint to add the ESN to their network, which they haven't done in the past.

11-15-08 03:00 PM
    why wont sprint do it?
    11-15-08 09:21 PM
    K I just read all the previous posts and they've just written it really confusingly. So let me try and clear this up:

CDMA and GSM are different attena/wave frequencies. Basically different networks. AT&T and Tmobile are GSM. Sprint and Verizon are CDMA.

GSM Blackberries use SIM cards to attach to the network. CDMA Blackberries basically have a "built in" SIM card...so you can't switch it out.

SO with GSM Blackberries you can unlock it from the carrier, take out the SIM and put in a SIM from another carrier. With CDMA you can't do this because the way they lock phones to their network is different.

Sprint won't add the ESN of the Storm to their network because they want you to buy one of THEIR phones. They don't make any money off you buying a Storm from VZW and using it on their network. GSM carriers don't really like it when you do it either but the way their technology works they can't really prevent it. Because of how CDMA works they can.

SO- if you want a Storm NOT on VZW you'd need to get a GSM Storm from Vodaphone (a European carrier) and unlock it, and use it on AT&T or Tmobile.

Basically: no you can't have a Storm on Sprint until they release it or you're a very convincing person and can convince them to add the ESN.

11-16-08 12:02 AM
    Damn. Sprint already got me for hundreds up front, and over the term of my contract thousands. They SHOULD allow me to use any phone I want. What the h311. I'm already paying for the service. Rant over. My .02 submitted.
    11-16-08 12:47 AM
    Well you can call and ask them if they would add the ESN...doesn't hurt to ask. If yes, you are all set and just need to buy the phone as the storm is both frenquences...

if no, you are screwed...
    11-16-08 01:03 AM
    why wont sprint do it?
    here's the best thing you can do if you really want it bad!you can get the cheapest Nextel phone you can find, I've seen 7100i on eBay for like 30 bucks and tell sprint you want to switch over to Nextel on your blackberry Nextel get your insurance on it let it kick in take it in to the service center tell them you lost your sim card and make sure you get the black Sim card then get your storm from vadophone and bam you have your storm!you may have to buy a Sim and you definitely want to cancel insurance after you have storm because they aren't going to cover your storm!but if you want it that bad this way will work!
    11-16-08 01:42 AM
    Why is Sprint always the last to get the cool phones?

They release their RAZR after it is no longer cool to have one.

AT&T gets the iphone and BB Bold

Verizon gets the Storm

Sprint gets the Curve months after everyone else
    11-16-08 06:57 AM
    Why is Sprint always the last to get the cool phones?

They release their RAZR after it is no longer cool to have one.

AT&T gets the iphone and BB Bold

Verizon gets the Storm

Sprint gets the Curve months after everyone else
    This is actually very ironic, vzw only got the curve a week or 2 before sprint, the razrs were the same, heck sprint even had the katana , the storm is the first not on the market release for vzw of anything that's not 6 months late or a knock off of an existing ham phone, that's just the nature of the network and cdma...

11-16-08 07:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD