I hope RIM get's creative with not only their marketing but their incentives as well. We already have the trade up program where we get up to 100$ toward a new OS7 device. But Samsung recently started doing the same thing and offers up to 300$. I hope they give away playbooks to those who buy the new phones on contract or something!? I'm not sure how much sense a trade in program for BB10 would be in light of their current trade in efforts. But for those who don't yet have a Playbook, they bought up all their surplus inventory, who knows what they plan do do with them, convert them to 4G LTE versions? Any thoughts?

For RIM it seems like they'll be addressing the existing "BlackBerry People" first. If they can convert some of their tens of millions of subscribers within the first year, the future for BlackBerry will be bright.

Soundoff in the comments, any other cool incentive ideas? Maybe that is why 16GB Playbooks are harder to come by these days, maybe they've got a plan.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-13-12 04:29 PM
    "Soundoff in the comments"? Lol, you realize this isn't an article you just wrote here, right?

I am actually very curious as well as to what sort of trade in programs there will be for existing BlackBerry Users. I would imagine a subsidy program the same as they have now. I would also expect them to not have a trade in program for the playbook. I suppose shipping all BB10 devices with a code to redeem a free 16 gb playbook would make sense, although I would expect a discounted tab, not a free one.
    08-13-12 04:45 PM
    If the Blackberry 10 ships with an autofocus camera, skype & netflix RIM will not need to subsidize the phone with a Playbook....
    ...The same applies with the Playbook - if it lacks ANY of the above it will be game over.
    08-13-12 04:58 PM
    For this to work it would need to be anything other than the 16GB Playbook.

That is a device that RIM slashed the price on, wrote down the inventory of and subsequently ceased producing.

Giving that device away is sort of saying "Buy our new state of the art device and take this clunker as a token of our appreciation"
    _StephenBB81 likes this.
    08-13-12 05:09 PM
    I don't think of the Playbook as a subsidy I see it as creating a growing, and loyal BB10 userbase. It's about doing what other's seem to neglect. There's a reason they wrote off all those tablets and even a good chunk of BB OS7 devices. They plan on seeding them to enterprise users, this is where the "subsidy" would play best imo. Mobilizing the prosumers of the world. If they have a Playbook tablet and if they are pleased with BB10 it keeps the users from buying the competition because they have a sufficient device already, assuming the BB10 is sufficient in the first place. Which will be measured by things aforementioned, like Autofocus, Netflix Skype etc. Then again netflix only has about 30 million users, in the grand scheme of things it will not break BB10 nor would Skype really with a bigger better offering like Apple's Facetime ala BB10. Apps won't really make or break them. Just like they didnt let apps kill the Playbook. Yes they are added selling points but not almighty especially outside of America where the real $$ is to be made.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-13-12 05:16 PM
    I like the term BlackBerry People. I like the OP's suggestion why not RIM needs to do something to get 10 started besides hoping people will view their current situation like apple in the 90's.
    James Nieves likes this.
    08-13-12 05:23 PM
    If the Blackberry 10 ships with an autofocus camera, skype & netflix RIM will not need to subsidize the phone with a Playbook....
    ...The same applies with the Playbook - if it lacks ANY of the above it will be game over.
    Getting old.... You could have an autofocus camera, skype & netflix and people will come out with a whole list of other "must have" apps.... what about instagram.... Kindle etc... could go on forever..... for many these are are just as important as those wilshing skype netflix etc.... if this ts the criteria people wish juidge a Playbook on.... why not just buy an IPad and be done with it instead of the constant "whining" it does not have______....

I have no use for Netflix... "c@ppy service in Canada"... Skype on my laptop... once a year maybe... and oh... here is a novel idea... how about using a proper comera for photgraphy..... sorry for venting but it is getting tedious seeing these posts over and over again.....
    axeman1000 likes this.
    08-13-12 05:57 PM
    Sorry but I'm with amazinglygraceless on this one,

Giving away Free PlayBooks would be bad, The PlayBook still isn't seen a must have product for BlackBerry users, I think it is great many do, and those that do probably already own one!.

IF RIM wants creative marketing that is REALLY of value.
    RIM needs to do deals with the carriers, as well as their own deals

Buy a BlackBerry 10 Smartphone and receive $30/app world credit, Buy within the first 30 days and double your app world Credit!

With the carriers have carriers add App world discounts an Bill through Carrier options based on term length, encouraging people to sign up for 2 & 3 year terms with more and more talk about the long term savings of buying off contract RIM helps the carriers keep people on contract and get used to carrier billing

WHY this would be the best move for RIM is THEY NEED Developers, and they need lots of them. They NEED the good developers to make $10,000 a year or they are on the hook for the difference. by basically giving people free money for App world it drives the developers to get apps on the market, every new BlackBerry owner will be shopping for Apps with their free money, and if the Apps are there, they'll enjoy the experience and KEEP shopping after the free money runs out.

Also why this is smarter for RIM is because they make a higher margin on Apps than any other product they would be selling to consumers, even though they'll be offering $30 it will only cost them Approximately $21 which is going into dev Hands which later will make them money
    It is their best public relations and consumer appreciation promo that share holders could get behind
    08-13-12 06:30 PM
    Buy a BlackBerry 10 Smartphone and receive $30/app world credit, Buy within the first 30 days and double your app world Credit!
    Apple currently has a sale like this for Back to School - buy a mac and get $100 in iTunes credit, or the new iPad and $50 iTunes. It's a fantastic way to still get all your money up front while making the consumer feel like they just got a deal. They're going to spend money in the app store eventually, now they're committed and will probably spend their credit earlier than they would, and since they're used to buying things in the marketplace they'll continue even when their credit runs out and they're paying with real money. It habituates the user into buying new doodads.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-13-12 06:43 PM
    I don't know... I think it could work.

Granted, AS IT IS, the 16GB PlayBook isn't much, but a 16GB BB10 PlayBook would be something else entirely. And there is no costs to it, it's just updating the software on the devices and going for it.

And they could even say "Take advantage now! Only valid while supplies last!"

Most people would take it as "oh crap, they are selling like hotcakes, I better hurry".

The logic behind offering credit for apps is sound. I'd just go ahead and do both. ><
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-13-12 at 08:38 PM.
    James Nieves likes this.
    08-13-12 08:35 PM

Giving away Free PlayBooks would be bad, The PlayBook still isn't seen a must have product for BlackBerry users, I think it is great many do, and those that do probably already own one!.

With the carriers have carriers add App world discounts an Bill through Carrier options based on term length, encouraging people to sign up for 2 & 3 year terms with more and more talk about the long term savings of buying off contract RIM helps the carriers keep people on contract and get used to carrier billing

WHY this would be the best move for RIM is THEY NEED Developers, and they need lots of them. They NEED the good developers to make $10,000 a year or they are on the hook for the difference. by basically giving people free money for App world it drives the developers to get apps on the market, every new BlackBerry owner will be shopping for Apps with their free money, and if the Apps are there, they'll enjoy the experience and KEEP shopping after the free money runs out.

Also why this is smarter for RIM is because they make a higher margin on Apps than any other product they would be selling to consumers, even though they'll be offering $30 it will only cost them Approximately $21 which is going into dev Hands which later will make them money
    It is their best public relations and consumer appreciation promo that share holders could get behind
    I don't know why you're apologizing for your opinion but anyway...

Carriers don't care about a healthy app ecosystem, while carrier billing is an incentive, and I agree with your thoughts on principal I think the reality that we're headed toward neglects what's the competition is already doing. They are already giving away tablets with phones, and making people sign two contracts, which locks people in similar to how Sprint and ZTE have done recently. With the "Shared data" plans rolling out, I feel that pushing more devices, and keeping buyers away from the competition will help the growth and health of the BB10 platform beyond just it's launch. Chincy little credits may wow the average consumer at first purchase, but BlackBerry has shown that people are very receptive to hardware, something they can hold. The BB10 platform is about everyone. Putting web developers, android, air and Objective C programmers on a more even playing field. The more devices in consumers hands the more they can bill the carriers. Overall while I agree, I disagree.
    BlackBerry can't just copy everyone else they need "dramatic examples to shake people outta apathy" and the consumer is generally very apathetic toward RIM/BlackBerry products. Maybe not giving away Playbooks, but Music Gateways or other accessories. SOMETHING drastic, because it's do or die for them, and they know it.
    I also think regional promotions and specials would help bolster support as well. Maybe not with the purchase of a BB10 phone, but perhaps start giving away Playbooks once BB10 is rolled out, developers may be more inclined to port/bring new applications once they have the OS IN THEIR HANDS, thanks to the hardware.
    08-13-12 08:44 PM
    Yes...because giving away free tablets with every new BB10 phone won't cause RIM to lose any money or anything...They need to MAKE money not LOSE it. Maybe preorder incentives? Like reveive an OEM accessory of their choosing, or something special for commiting early. Can't wait!!
    08-13-12 09:13 PM

This is exactly what i was thinking. Also the PlayBook is basically a bigger BB10, they will be running the same OS. Not many people will need a tablet.

When people get on BB10 or in fact any new platform, the first thing they need to do is to get the apps they used on other platforms. This might be a factor for people who are hesitant to jump ship, the need to spend more money to get the apps they already use on other platforms might deter them a bit.

By offering free app world gift credits, the users who are thinking of jumping to BB10 can know that they can get the apps they want for free, making the jump easier. For existing BB users, they can get the apps that they have been using on their current BBOS devices using the credits, without the need to spend more money to get them.

Also, a great point by deRusett was the need for good developers to earn $10,000. Since RIM has to top up to that amount if they don't, may as well give credits to BB10 buyers. If buyers use their free credit on appworld to get apps, the amount will be accumulated as part of the returns for developers anyway.

This will also drive up revenue for developers, and in turn hopefully motivate more developers to get on board to create awesome apps.
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 08-13-12 at 10:57 PM.
    08-13-12 10:53 PM
    Rim does not have the budget to give away free playbooks unfortunately and im sure by the time bb10 comes out the 16 gig models will be long gone, but ya im sure they can think of some other kind of cool marketing strategy that involves giving stuff away.
    08-13-12 11:30 PM
    Yes...because giving away free tablets with every new BB10 phone won't cause RIM to lose any money or anything...They need to MAKE money not LOSE it. Maybe preorder incentives? Like reveive an OEM accessory of their choosing, or something special for commiting early. Can't wait!!
    Wouldn't giving away free accessories lose more money as well, some accessories can be really expensive and rim already does add things like phone holsters with phones and that has not helped much.
    08-13-12 11:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD