Hi Everyone,

I just started using BB Messenger and when chatting with a contact of mine, I noticed that the reply could take a short time. But within that time the contact's status has a 'clock' icon that appears, indicating a 'busy' status. Does this mean that the contact may have switched to a busy status (if that's possible)? Or perhaps the contact is IMing someone else, or on the phone? Just trying to understand the 'busy' status. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Camy
    12-03-08 07:54 PM
    i keep getting that on my bold toooo
    12-03-08 07:56 PM
    If they're on the phone, then they will have those voice waves coming from their smiley thingy. The clock (busy) symbol means that they are using data, aka on the internet.
    12-03-08 08:05 PM
    If they're on the phone, then they will have those voice waves coming from their smiley thingy. The clock (busy) symbol means that they are using data, aka on the internet.
    But this other contact doesn't have internet capability from their BB. So does that mean that the contact is perhaps IMing someone else while in the midst of our conversation? Also, you mentioned the wavy symbol. I know that means unavailable but I just assumed it meant that the BB is not getting a signal. Are u saying that it's also possible the contact may be on the phone? I assumed that's what the 'busy' status was for (in addition to IMing). As you can tell, I'm clueless. But again, any other feedback would be so appreciated.
    Thanks again!
    12-03-08 08:13 PM
    Sorry, I meant that the contact doesn't have the ability to surf the web. anything remotely close is just email and the instant messenger.
    12-03-08 08:17 PM
    Technically, the busy symbol means that they are not "in" the messenger. Like, they could be running the media player or something else. But the sound waves definately means they are on the phone. You can tell when they finally read your msg, cuz the D will change to an R (delivered...and received). Hope this helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-08 09:39 PM
    I tested BBM between 2 BBs and I found the 'clock' icon means the other person has not opened your BBM message that you just sent.

However, there was also another time when I thought the person never read my message, but never received it to begin with. My friend said I may have sent the BBM text while the BB was roaming internationally.

I've also found that you can't assume your friends aren't checking or reading their BBM. I BBM'd with a friend that I haven't tallked to in a while who had the 'clock' icon for weeks. I BBM'd and got a response really quickly. I thought my friend just hadn't opened anybody's conversations for weeks. So don't assume!
    12-04-08 02:37 AM
    I tested BBM between 2 BBs and I found the 'clock' icon means the other person has not opened your BBM message that you just sent.

However, there was also another time when I thought the person never read my message, but never received it to begin with. My friend said I may have sent the BBM text while the BB was roaming internationally.

I've also found that you can't assume your friends aren't checking or reading their BBM. I BBM'd with a friend that I haven't tallked to in a while who had the 'clock' icon for weeks. I BBM'd and got a response really quickly. I thought my friend just hadn't opened anybody's conversations for weeks. So don't assume!
    This^
    Goes along with what I said. "Busy" means they aren't currently in the messsenger, thus, haven't read your message. But sometimes the messenger acts funny (well mine does at least). Also, if you look at your contact list (not the conversation list), "busy" contacts also have their name italicized. And I have two contacts who no longer have their BB, but are still on my contact list cuz I haven't deleted them yet. Their icons are stuck on the "on the phone" symbol. Hmmm weird...

12-04-08 08:22 AM
    Okay, I think I'm getting better at understanding all this. But I'm curious about something. If I choose to just keep my conversation open with the contact and let's say the next day I want to send an IM, and that contact is IMing someone else, would I see the contact's status change to busy? Here's a perfect example........
    We'll chat most of the evening and then we say we'll catch up the next day. I never close my conversations with the contact and every time I start IMing the next day, I never see the status change (it always says the status is available). But every time I send an IM, a moment later that contact's status changes to the clock icon, or sometimes the wavy lines. Does that mean that the status changes because it's in the midst of being received by the contact? Before call waiting became a phone feature, we would all get a busy signal when we would call someone. Is this basically the same thing? But again, I'm not sure if the contact is chatting with someone because that status is always available until I start IMing. Just curious. Hope this all makes sense. Thanks again!
    12-05-08 11:00 AM
    Okay, I think I'm getting better at understanding all this. But I'm curious about something. If I choose to just keep my conversation open with the contact and let's say the next day I want to send an IM, and that contact is IMing someone else, would I see the contact's status change to busy? Here's a perfect example........
    We'll chat most of the evening and then we say we'll catch up the next day. I never close my conversations with the contact and every time I start IMing the next day, I never see the status change (it always says the status is available). But every time I send an IM, a moment later that contact's status changes to the clock icon, or sometimes the wavy lines. Does that mean that the status changes because it's in the midst of being received by the contact? Before call waiting became a phone feature, we would all get a busy signal when we would call someone. Is this basically the same thing? But again, I'm not sure if the contact is chatting with someone because that status is always available until I start IMing. Just curious. Hope this all makes sense. Thanks again!
    As said above they are out of BBM or they have gone idle. I will get that clock when the person I am messaging wtih has not touched their phone in "X" amount of time just like with AOL or AIM you go idle after whatever time you have set its the same thing.
    12-05-08 11:45 AM
    If I had a nickel for everytime someone started a thread about BB messenger status icons....

You do know this site has a search function, right?
    12-05-08 12:14 PM
    If I had a nickel for everytime someone started a thread about BB messenger status icons....

You do know this site has a search function, right?
    Chill. Not everyone uses the search function. If someone wants to post a question that's been asked 1,292 times, then that is there right to do so. This is a message board afterall.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway, TC, I hope we have answered your question. Have a good day

12-05-08 01:16 PM
    I think you more concerned if tht person doesn't want to talk to you or is to busy for you. LOL.

Anyway those symbols on the BBM just acts weird most times. I won't lose any sleep over it.

And yes, use search option you can learn a lot tht way without having people tell you to use it.

12-05-08 01:45 PM
    Chill. Not everyone uses the search function. If someone wants to post a question that's been asked 1,292 times, then that is there right to do so. This is a message board afterall.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway, TC, I hope we have answered your question. Have a good day
    It spams up the board. This question has been answered 512,564,898 times just on this board alone. I don't mean to sound like a crabby killjoy (not trying to be conflictive either), but there's no use in wasting space with a question thats been answered so many times.

Here CamySS, this is a VERY useful little tool: Advanced Search and if you need help on how to use it, click HERE and go to post #10.
    12-05-08 01:51 PM
    Hi, I'm a newbie, so sorry if this is in the wrong forum....but:

my IM status seems to get stuck. The D for delivered does not convert to R although the recipient has def read the msg as he has responded. Also, the busy clock icon stays on my contacts status, even when the msg has been replied to...

Would really appreciate any advice or guidance, thanks..
    02-23-09 04:26 PM
    Ok, Iv'e read thru almost all of the posts regarding the busy icon in messenger and I still haven't found a solution to my prob. I just got the Bold and when I send a message to my friend, the busy icon comes on and it sometimes takes hours before i get a reply. I know she has her phone with her because Iv'e called her to see what was going on. When I had my Curve I never had this problem. Could it be a setting on the Bold that is causing this? Any help would be appreciated.
    05-17-09 09:09 AM
    I keep getting the busy signal on the bb messanger as well! Never had aproblem on my other bb! the people at t-mobile said that means that the people have either changed their messanger or they do not have enough signal, but I believe otherwise because how was myother phone not saying anyone was busy! Thats why I think it is this new bb I have that is the new curve. Pin (26261F2D) Thanks

Camy[/QUOTE]

05-18-09 02:34 PM
    One of my friend on contact list shows a busy icon,I'm sending him an I'm and then he replied it quickly(just about a seconds) and said "I'm driving a car and can't reply your message" how did he do that??anyone can tell me?thanks a lot..

05-21-09 06:14 PM
    One of my friend on contact list shows a busy icon,I'm sending him an I'm and then he replied it quickly(just about a seconds) and said "I'm driving a car and can't reply your message" how did he do that??anyone can tell me?thanks a lot..

Probably AutoText.

I have my phone set to send a similar message like that when I press "ppp."
    05-21-09 06:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD