So Business Week calls the BlackBerry Classic a 'last-ditch effort'.

I read articles like this about BlackBerry every week or so. Have they been following the same company I have? Have they paid any attention to Chen's plans for the future? I don't own any BB stock but even so, the inaccurate reporting is irritating.

There will be another BB phone after this one, and probably more to follow. This is no 'last-ditch effort'.

Of course, they end with a comparison of how many phones Chen hopes to sell vs. how many Apple sells. I'm not sure that's relevant.

Anyway, I look forward to a time where the business world figures out that BB is now much more than just a phone vendor. Or at least, that they're trying to make something more of themselves.

I'm not holding my breath, though.
    12-17-14 05:08 PM
    First of all, he needs a good shave.
    12-17-14 05:29 PM
    Phishing headlines, unintelligent reporters and trendy media bias; more the norm than exception nowadays.
    Blue787, Zirak and EhBen like this.
    12-17-14 05:29 PM
    I think the article draws some valid points as well.

It is still unclear whether BlackBerry will stay in the hardware business if it starts being successful in the software and service business

From my understanding, BlackBerry has not yet generated any positive income from its bb10 phones.

Also, John Chen has not made it clear whether BlackBerry is going to stay in the hardware business in the future, when he was asked in an interview.

I have no doubt that BlackBerry will be around, but I do have my doubts for BlackBerry 's hardware division.

Even though I own a Q10, Z10, and a Z30, I agree that physical keyboard BlackBerry phones will be a niche devices for a near future, not because keyboard BlackBerry phones are any inferior but people have negative stereotypes with BlackBerry phones. And many people put apps and games before communication functions in a phone nowadays.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z10
    12-17-14 05:44 PM
    Hardware isn't going anywhere. It's a huge part of the enterprise massive push. The classic is the transition device for the 60 million legacy users still out there in the corporate and government sectors. BlackBerry has finally assembled the bridge to transition. BES10 and BES12 coupled with the Classic and Passport. Now Enterprise can start the long awaited transition.

Posted via CB10
    srzjumper and LuvULongTime like this.
    12-17-14 05:51 PM
    Nearly all BB10 devices have been cited at one time as the one that will make or break Blackberry's future in smartphones; but, the history of BB10 pretty much shows that Blackberry will release device after device regardless of how those devices sell.
    12-17-14 05:56 PM
    I dislike the authors of these articles.

They always feel that comparing BlackBerry to apple and android is necessary.

We all know that the BlackBerry products can't be compared to apple and android because they are consumer based.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 06:27 PM
    Hardware isn't going anywhere. It's a huge part of the enterprise massive push. The classic is the transition device for the 60 million legacy users still out there in the corporate and government sectors. BlackBerry has finally assembled the bridge to transition. BES10 and BES12 coupled with the Classic and Passport. Now Enterprise can start the long awaited transition.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly! Don't people recall how Chen stated the 4 pillars of BlackBerry's business plan? Handsets are one of those pillars even though it's the weakest, currently. You cannot read opinionated articles and come to conclusions about what is going to happen with BlackBerry. The company is finally moving in the right direction and it's going to be interesting watching everything unfold!

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 06:32 PM
    Exactly! Don't people recall how Chen stated the 4 pillars of BlackBerry's business plan? Handsets are one of those pillars even though it's the weakest, currently. You cannot read opinionated articles and come to conclusions about what is going to happen with BlackBerry. The company is finally moving in the right direction and it's going to be interesting watching everything unfold!

Posted via CB10
    Yep, that's precisely it! Chen has a vision that's greater than the handsets themselves. It remains to be seen if this vision will be a successful one or not. Still, holding to the pre-Chen strategy would have probably resulted in BlackBerry being extinct already. This new strategy has some merit, and the 'journalists' seem to ignore that and keep comparing BlackBerry handset sales to Apple and general Android numbers. BlackBerry has repeatedly said that they're not playing for the mass-market, but for the business niche. There's no point in comparing them to Apple.
    12-17-14 07:26 PM
    Yep, that's precisely it! Chen has a vision that's greater than the handsets themselves. It remains to be seen if this vision will be a successful one or not. Still, holding to the pre-Chen strategy would have probably resulted in BlackBerry being extinct already. This new strategy has some merit, and the 'journalists' seem to ignore that and keep comparing BlackBerry handset sales to Apple and general Android numbers. BlackBerry has repeatedly said that they're not playing for the mass-market, but for the business niche. There's no point in comparing them to Apple.
    Hmm, didn't Apple just join up with IBM to take on the Enterprise world?
    Ain't IPhones a large chunk of BYOD?

Seems we do have to compare and worry about Apple.

BlackBerry hates America!
    12-17-14 10:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree. BlackBerry needs to sell hardware and there will always be a market, small as it may be, for PKB phones. The cost may go up to get one, but I think there will be BlackBerrys around for quite some time yet.
    12-17-14 10:52 PM
    I think the article draws some valid points as well.

It is still unclear whether BlackBerry will stay in the hardware business if it starts being successful in the software and service business

From my understanding, BlackBerry has not yet generated any positive income from its bb10 phones.

Also, John Chen has not made it clear whether BlackBerry is going to stay in the hardware business in the future, when he was asked in an interview.

I have no doubt that BlackBerry will be around, but I do have my doubts for BlackBerry 's hardware division.

Even though I own a Q10, Z10, and a Z30, I agree that physical keyboard BlackBerry phones will be a niche devices for a near future, not because keyboard BlackBerry phones are any inferior but people have negative stereotypes with BlackBerry phones. And many people put apps and games before communication functions in a phone nowadays.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z10
    Well, I don't want to pee on your writings but BlackBerry is making money on hardware. It was noted in Chen's update to investors, three weeks ago.

Chen's strategy is simply. Build on strength and that means physical keyboards. TBH, Chen should just farm out the all touch devices to Fox Comm as there is so little difference among competitors . Went by a phone kiosk tonight and it reminded me of how bland the current offerings are. Apple store was empty as well.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 11:57 PM
    Yeah.... releasing tech from a bygone era is such a great idea..... What's next? Sony gonna start selling cassette tape Walkmans again? Maybe Microsoft will release a new version of MS-DOS and call it "The Classic" for all those nostalgia types out there still who still like that blinky cursor.

"The Classic" is basically BlackBerry throwing in the towel as a tech company and saying their greatest innovation was 10 years ago, and they've got nothing better.
    12-18-14 12:26 AM
    Yeah.... releasing tech from a bygone era is such a great idea..... What's next? Sony gonna start selling cassette tape Walkmans again? Maybe Microsoft will release a new version of MS-DOS and call it "The Classic" for all those nostalgia types out there still who still like that blinky cursor.

"The Classic" is basically BlackBerry throwing in the towel as a tech company and saying their greatest innovation was 10 years ago, and they've got nothing better.
    Hmm no... it's more comparable to going back to mouse and keyboard vs tablet full touch and touch keyboard....

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 12:53 AM
    Hmm, didn't Apple just join up with IBM to take on the Enterprise world?
    Ain't IPhones a large chunk of BYOD?

Seems we do have to compare and worry about Apple.

BlackBerry hates America!
    iPhone make up a large chunk of BYOD not because it's good for business, it's good for content consumption and people think that with BYOD they finally will have that entertainment device that can be used for work, while corporations need a work device that can be used for entertainment. Last I heard, things don't work very well there.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3442
    12-18-14 05:15 AM

As noted above, with the exception of BlackBerry, the smartphone market is as dull as dishwater. It is shocking to walk by a phone kiosk and realize there isn't a shred of difference among the 30 varieties of phones. Just deadbeat OEMs hocking one bland product after another.

Good on BlackBerry for doing the obvious and providing product support for PKB lovers. Having spent nearly 2 years with an all touch, I'm ready to go back. I'm not going for the classic though, it's the passport that has my attention. Now there is an innovative product. The feel is great and I love the fact that when you pull it from the box, it feels ready to go. You don't have to load it up with apps to make it functional.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 05:50 AM
    , the smartphone market is as dull as dishwater. It is shocking to walk by a phone kiosk and realize there isn't a shred of difference among the 30 varieties of phones.
    Good point. If Apple or Android provide a QUALITY physical keyboard phone with efficient features like BB, I would definitely consider them.
    12-18-14 07:43 AM
    I think the Classic is a last ditch effort to convert legacy BBOS Users to BB10 devices. If enterprises and individuals upgrading from legacy OS devices don't buy any of the current crop of BB10 phones with their next purchase, then they ain't ever coming.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 11:38 AM
    There is a large contingent in the US with a vested interest in preventing BlackBerry from regaining it's footing. From stock short sellers to advocates (paid directly or indirectly) for competitive products, their attacks have been relentless and insidiously successful, particularly in the US market. There has been, and there will continue to be, a constant barrage of half-truths and misinformation design to minimize any BlackBerry accomplishment and taint the brand. Unfortunately BlackBerry made themselves vulnerable to this by past mistakes. To succeed BlackBerry has to offer products compelling enough to rise above this bile. I think that they are on the right track. I have stopped being surprised by the constant one-sided, biased, misrepresentations emanating from the US media, and am now surprised when I see a thoughtful, analytical and balanced piece.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 11:39 AM
    Everything BB does is a last-ditch by some news outlet.
    The Z10 was, the Z30 was, the Passport was and now the Classic.
    12-18-14 11:41 AM
    Media have been using the term last resort /effort for all BlackBerry 10 handsets released till date. It started from z10 and now it's continued till classic..

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    12-18-14 11:55 AM
    for all of us who have been paying attention ever since the Z10 came every phone after that has been a last ditch effort and we keep on chugging along!
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    12-18-14 11:59 AM
    Maybe BlackBerry should use this as an opportunity to re-brand themselves from BlackBerry to Last-Ditch Technology.

You know, get rid of that tarnished image.
    last_attempt and spike12 like this.
    12-18-14 12:05 PM
    You'd wonder how they were reporting on Apple a decade ago.

Tech reporters are useless, tech analysis on business journals are even more so. The only downside is, there may still be those following their verdict. Not that anyone with knowledge would or should...
    12-18-14 12:09 PM
    The BlackBerry Bold 9900 released in 2011 was a "last ditch effort" and yet here we are about to enter 2015. Why is okay for Apple to be in the personal computer market with only 7% market-share but smartphone vendors are complete failures unless they have half the market?
    12-18-14 12:17 PM
59 123