Hello everyone, I have a question for you blackberry users. Is it possible to browse the internet on your handset with a poor signal? The reason i'm asking this is because I live way out in the boondocks, hours away from winnipeg, the only city that offers 3G/EVDO/etc in my province. I want a blackberry/smartphone very badly, but i'm wondering if I should even bother.

It dosen't have to be fast, just usable. Maybe someone could even give me an estimate as to how fast it would take to load a webpage with 2-5 bars of regular non 3G/EVDO connection.

Edit: I realize most of you are residents of US, but I thought I would add that I would be going through MTS and the best connection in my area according to their coverage maps is "digital 1X". Also, if full HTML browsing is not usuable due to extremely slow speeds, would I be able to achieve a decent speed by turning off HTML browsing?

Thanks.
    Last edited by AaronG555; 06-15-09 at 10:50 PM.
    06-15-09 10:39 PM
    I am able to use my BB with a 1X, and only 2 bars. Who is your wireless carrier?
    06-16-09 09:54 AM
    You can browse fine with 2-5 bars of service. Non 3G will be a tad slower, but not a huge difference. As for how fast a web page will load, that depends on many other factors, including which web site, how much data, java scripting, etc.
    06-16-09 10:16 AM
    My father frequently has business trips to an area called "Thompson" up in Northern Manitoba. Lovely weather i hear up there .. -30? bring it on
    i kid.

But you shouldn't experience too much of a problem with getting browsing done. So long as you have at least 50% of the bars on your future phone, then it will be just fine. Also, if you have a wifi network at home, then you should consider getting a phone that has wifi capabilities built in.

Also, another question, I know MTS is a major carrier in Manitoba, but does Rogers exist there or no?
    06-16-09 10:54 AM
    Thanks a lot guys.

And to the guys above, yes rogers does exist (and yes it gets damn cold around here :P) but their reliability in my area (around Russell, MB) is very spotty. Also, Rogers are known for trying to suck money out of their customers anyway they can. So I thought MTS would be the better option.

Blackberry storm here I come
    06-16-09 04:39 PM
    Thanks a lot guys.

And to the guys above, yes rogers does exist (and yes it gets damn cold around here :P) but their reliability in my area (around Russell, MB) is very spotty. Also, Rogers are known for trying to suck money out of their customers anyway they can. So I thought MTS would be the better option.

Blackberry storm here I come
    I couldn't agree more. It took me 3 years to finally get a reasonable (not the best) retention plan with them.
    Good luck with the Storm! Hopefully it will work well for you. And, in case service coverage isn't that good, you can always get a cell phone antenna booster to amplify reception.
    06-16-09 06:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD