I have been all over the net and I need an answer to what is probably a simple question to most.

I've just finally got my phone up and working after a nightmare of error msgs. Anyway, I'm trying to get Facebook working now and I keep seeing that I can get a version 1.7 but only if I have the Browsing Service. WHAT IS THIS "BROWSING SERVICE"?? I have MediaNet and something that simply says "Browser" but I don't know what "Browsing Service" means... PLEASE SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!

What do I need for v1.7?
    01-03-10 01:16 AM
    do yo have a blackberry data plan?
    01-03-10 01:35 AM
    Yes I do...
    01-03-10 01:53 AM
    with at&t...
    01-03-10 01:56 AM
    Make sure your data service is turned on, and your signal indicator is in caps (EDGE instead of edge)
    01-03-10 02:09 AM
    how do i do that? Isn't it right that if I didn't have a "data service" I wouldn't be able to do the "net" on my phone? Everything is working fine except for Facebook. EDGE is in caps...
    01-03-10 08:11 AM
    You can download it on BB App world.
    01-03-10 08:53 AM
    how do i do that? Isn't it right that if I didn't have a "data service" I wouldn't be able to do the "net" on my phone? Everything is working fine except for Facebook. EDGE is in caps...
    Not necessarily.

You might be able to access the internet with only a generic data plan. But in order to access BlackBerry data features, you must have a BlackBerry specific data plan.

As noted above, try downloading and installing Facebook through App World.

If that doesn't work, call your carrier and have them check to be sure that you have the correct data plan.
    01-03-10 09:10 AM
    Okay...I have BB App World now. I also got a cool theme!
    But, I keep getting the message "Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support Facebook"!!!! What the crap!!?
    Why is this so aggravating!?
    I still don't know what this means.. "Access to Browsing Service. If you don’t have access to Browsing Service, download Facebook for BlackBerry smartphones v1.6 "
    01-04-10 07:54 AM
    What OS version is on your device?
    01-04-10 10:47 AM
    Maybe she just has the old wap service. Sounds like service books is whats needed. ??
    01-04-10 03:11 PM
    i'm having EXACTLY the same problem. i had to wipe my tour a couple of days ago (long story) and ever since FB hasn't been working properly. i had "leave messages on server" unchecked but it wasn't deleting the notifications in my email inbox. SOOOO i deleted FB with the intent to reinstall, however now i'm getting the same message as the OP.

Help? Please?
    01-04-10 08:55 PM
    okay...well, a few months ago I really messed up my phone & had a gray/white screen with a "jvm error 512" something or another and and option to reset, which I did about 80 times to no avail. Of course, At&t store was no help and said I needed to reinstall OS. So, I raced to office, loaded the 1st one I found and the phone was all different.

Fast forward to this past weekend..(when I learned that I was supposed to search by my carrier for my OS). I tried installing 3 different OS before I got one to work.
    I now have 4.5.0.182 (Platform 2.7.0.10)

I have hard-booted this machine about 17 times, in the last hour. I deleted the new theme because I read somewhere this error msg "Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support Facebook" means a memory issue. I have PLENTY of memory on this phone, all ringtones, photos, etc goes to my media card.

1. I would love for someone to define "Browsing Service". Is this an app? It's in caps in the instructions from FB so, that has to "mean" something.
    2. I would love to find out why my phone thinks it can't handle FB app??

I have tried installing FB via the pc connection, via the browser on my phone (just says "browser" - didn't use the Media Net one.)

Why am I having so much trouble?? Should I wipe it yet AGAIN? OR SHOULD I TOSS THIS PHONE THREW A WINDOW AND GO GET AN IPHONE! I loved this phone before it went berserk!
    01-04-10 10:40 PM
    Okay!! I fixed it! I still don't know what "Browsing Service" is but I turned the power off tonight & took out the SIM card, the media card & the battery...waited about 15 minutes and put it all back together, downloaded v1.7 FB through BB App World and BAM! woo hoo!!!!
    ***Dancing around the living room***
    01-05-10 08:39 PM
    I had the same problem with loading these apps before, but recently the Activex app loader on blackberry.com started working with my 8703e, whereas before it say my phone isn't supported. Now if I could only get it to work with ANY app on the appstore, and not have to use BBSAK or mcp ever again.
    07-16-10 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD