I was wondering if it is even possible for bb10 to have a trackpad and return the green and red buttons? I'm no software or os expert so I'm sincerely asking if it would be possible.

I remember a while ago someone posted up a topic about how blackberry should have kept the pad and buttons. The person was kinda flamed (I even said it was stupid) for wanted to keep an outdated style for a phone especially at a time when blackberry was trying to modernize and compete the apple and samsung. Now that bb10 sales haven't been what we expected, I am starting to think that the trackpad and buttons probably weren't a bad idea for the following reasons.

1) Business users like the pad (myself included). Easy to highlight, copy, past and navigate. You can still do all this stuff with the new phones but it isn't easy, fast and self explanatory - especially for non phone tech savy people.

2) Many traditional blackberry users like it. Yes this probably includes old people who still holster their berries. I've come across a few people who have gotten the q10 then traded it back for an old bold 9900. When asked why, they say they didn't like all the swiping. They love the keyboard and the touch screen but they want the pad back. If they have to learn a bunch new stuff they will just switch to droid or apple. I'm starting to think the keyboard and the pad go hand in hand for a lot of users. If blackberry wanted to keep their traditional blackberry users, they should have given them a similar phone but with the new slick bb10 os.

What I would like to see is essentially a q10 but a taller device with the track pad and buttons added. Even if this wasn't a consumer phone sold in stores, I believe it would be popular with government and businesses. Lets call it the qp10 (p for pad).

Your thoughts.
    09-26-13 01:08 PM
    Buttons, I say no.
    Some sort of trackpad simulation on the touch screen would be nice, my biggest complaint with the Z10 is trying to select text.
    fanisk likes this.
    09-26-13 01:12 PM
    Not even one button?
    09-26-13 01:16 PM
    Buttons, I say no.
    Some sort of trackpad simulation on the touch screen would be nice, my biggest complaint with the Z10 is trying to select text.
    Gotta admit, it's gotten much better since the first version of 10.0

I agree though, an on-screen trackpad would be a nice option
    09-26-13 01:18 PM
    No. The days of trying to graft a desktop input on a mobile device are over. We somehow managed with just a trackwheel originally and touch with keyboard shortcuts is much more efficient anyway. The legacy users some how made the shift from trackwheels to trackballs and pads so they can make the shift again as well.
    09-26-13 01:24 PM
    Not even one button?
    Two problems:

1) More buttons mean more hardware to fail. It may not seem like much but the more physical controls there are, the more things can go wrong with the device

2) Worse, OS-specific controls add to the cost and complexity of the device itself.
    09-26-13 01:28 PM
    Buttons, I say no.
    It's quite easy....for some there may be a bit of a learning curve at first
    09-26-13 01:30 PM
    Thunderbuck - so adding it in wouldn't be an easy, simple thing to do on bb10?
    09-26-13 01:31 PM
    The big problem is the warehouses of inventory they need to sell off - your idea will not be adopted because the Z30 is going to be it for hardware.
    09-26-13 01:33 PM
    I'm for the REAL track pad and the BB button, but not the "red and green" buttons. Every time I pick up my old 9900 that BB button/trackpad combo is a great reminder of quick actions, menu access, app access (via placement in that menu), battery level, text/object manipulation and overall productivity. (I'd even take one or two of the side app keys back, loved setting them as I chose)

Love my Z10, have yet to SIM up my Q10 (had it about 30 days - won it from BlackBerry) but not ashamed to say out loud in front of all of CrackBerry - I miss the TRACKPAD!

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    09-26-13 01:42 PM
    We may see a virtual trackpad at some point. It's easy enough to implement.
    georg4BB likes this.
    09-26-13 03:43 PM
    Grab a 9900 before you can't and cherish it
    09-26-13 03:48 PM
    Grab a 9900 before you can't and cherish it
    Words of wisdom, haha
    09-26-13 05:51 PM
    I like the space between the keyboard and the screen on the Q5. Be a nice spot for the return of the buttons and trackpad. I would miss the buttons more than the trackpad.
    09-26-13 05:58 PM
    Hopefully Chen will know that blackberry has a huge following among professionals that like efficiency.
    The keyboard is why. Period. Because it's more efficient. Which is why light lap top are also preferred over tablets
    that can be expanded to tablets plus keyboard.
    Touch screen is here to stay and is awesome but it adds to the keyboard not replaces.
    So BB needs to add the track pad and two buttons to the Q10 and it will rock the phone world with great sales because
    all the old bold and curve users will update to that phone and that momentum will generate buzz and others will wonder why
    this new phone is so popular and try it and then realize that keyboardless phones are just less efficient just like tablets are
    less efficient and are glorified e readers. And of course adding three buttons isn't hard technically speaking so whoever says it's
    hard knows nothing about computers and whomever thinks keyboards are things of the past should also wonder why tablets aren't
    on people's desk. Because typing is still more efficient than touch screen typing (and more pleasant)
    iamagod likes this.
    12-01-13 10:29 PM
    It makes perfect sense to me...They should bring it back...you can still have a great BB10 experience with those...It's stupid to not listen to your die hard business customers and that's exactly what BlackBerry and Mr Heins did.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 11:04 PM
    Buttons, I say no.
    I prefer touch screens and selecting text took a little practice for me too. The interface is very sensitive.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 11:16 PM
    It's called the 9720 there is the virtual track pad app that is available. It should be a option to integrate it for more things. The text selection after 10.2 is fine now.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.1.1055 - C0006E212
    12-01-13 11:25 PM
    It's called the 9720 there is the virtual track pad app that is available. It should be a option to integrate it for more things. The text selection after 10.2 is fine now.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.1.1055 - C0006E212
    It's also called cheap and nasty.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 01:57 AM
    It's also called cheap and nasty.

Posted via CB10
    Haha no disputing that.

CB10 - Z10(Z30 inbound) -10.2.1.1055 - C0006E212
    12-03-13 07:50 AM
    I actually don't miss it anymore. At first for sure but now after all these months I got over it.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 07:52 AM
    Hopefully Chen will know that blackberry has a huge following among professionals that like efficiency.
    The keyboard is why. Period. Because it's more efficient. Which is why light lap top are also preferred over tablets
    that can be expanded to tablets plus keyboard.
    Touch screen is here to stay and is awesome but it adds to the keyboard not replaces.
    So BB needs to add the track pad and two buttons to the Q10 and it will rock the phone world with great sales because
    all the old bold and curve users will update to that phone and that momentum will generate buzz and others will wonder why
    this new phone is so popular and try it and then realize that keyboardless phones are just less efficient just like tablets are
    less efficient and are glorified e readers. And of course adding three buttons isn't hard technically speaking so whoever says it's
    hard knows nothing about computers and whomever thinks keyboards are things of the past should also wonder why tablets aren't
    on people's desk. Because typing is still more efficient than touch screen typing (and more pleasant)
    OP, you and Flip Flip have hit the nail on the head. I feel exactly the same way. Theres absolutely no denying for a diehard bberry user that the trackpad and home row of keys were VITAL for the efficiency of the phone. Not to mention all the keyboard shortcuts that were/are missing.

Seriously all BB needed to do was update the specs, and build quality and write a qnx based trackpad-centric os. All 4 home row keys would be the best, but just the call buttons is acceptable. You don't know how many people I meet that Hate hanging up the phone on bb10.

TH missed the ball bigtime. Hope Chen is smart enough.

A 3.5" screen with a keyboard 9900 style or 4.2" slider, both with trackpad/home row of keys would be the ultimate prosumer devices.

I think lots of people would switch back, esp if android apps work seamlessly. Theres really no denying a BlackBerry with a trackpad is easier to use than an iPhone, esp with the new iOS7

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    12-10-13 02:50 AM
    To be honest, most power users of BlackBerry phones don't even come on CB. This site has such a skewed sample of BlackBerry users. Most executives, celebs, realtors, lawyers, etc that use BlackBerry for its efficiency don't come here but if u asked them they would agree with the OP to the fullest.

People who frequent this are more or less tech enthusiasts who like playing around with devices and using new technologies. For this crowd BB10 is perfect. But they are a small minority, as most of these types of people use android or iphone.

BlackBerry and TH made a mistake trying to cater to this crowd. They don't represent the majority of BlackBerry users. I even question the judgment of some of the writers, including CK, if they really gave a thumbs up to BB10 in that state when they first saw demos of the phone in action.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 03:03 AM
    BB10 in its current state is almost perfect for full touchscreen devices, but whenever i watch people who are using a legacy device i get the impression they can navigate with the trackpad much faster. I can imagine, the missing trackpad on the Q10 is a problem for many people.
    12-10-13 03:15 AM
    I use to think we needed it back but I'm so use to not having it
    I miss the click of the track pad
    Some websites really need it lol
    12-10-13 03:19 AM
31 12