Hey, guys:

I'm sorry if this has been posted before.

I'm a (possible) brand new Blackberry user, and I have no desire to get a data plan. Everywhere I go, open Wifi is available to me.

I've heard several different stories about not being able to use built-in applications if I don't have Rim's data plan, and that worries me. Can I use applications like the browser (for surfing and downloading) and the IM client through wifi alone, and if not, can I use third-party equivalents through wifi? I don't mind downloading third-party stuff if it all works the same.

Again, sorry if this has been posted -- I have no idea where to look for the answers, and I'm kinda lost right now. I know I like the Blackberry devices and OS, and I just want to make sure I'll be able to do everything strictly through wifi if I get one.

Is there absolutely ANYTHING that I will never be able to do without a data plan?

Thanks, everyone.
    12-14-10 03:24 PM
    You NEED BIS or BES service.

( I can just see it now--NO ONE BUYS A DATA PLAN, because "there are third party solutions" to not using RIM's data services. LOL!!!)
    12-14-10 03:46 PM
    Most apps, instant messenger services, email, internet browsing requires a Blackberry specific data plan.
    12-14-10 03:49 PM
    It sounds like the best thing for you is to get a non-smartphone and an Ipod touch since you'll be around wifi all day.
    12-14-10 03:50 PM
    In short yes you can.

The browser will work with wifi, there are 3rd party browsers too which either run on wifi or tcp settings (tcp settings use would reguire a generic data plan to pay for use)

Some apps will work via wifi and some won't. There should be a list in the wifi forums.

As you probably know you won't get any bbm or other blackberry features but what you want to is is certainly doable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-10 04:13 PM
    It also depends on who your carrier is. You cannot use any smartphone (BlackBerry or other) on AT&T or VZW without a data plan for that particular smartphone.
    12-14-10 04:20 PM
    In my opinion u are lkosing a lot out of the device without a blackberry data plan

12-14-10 05:02 PM
    In short yes you can.

The browser will work with wifi, there are 3rd party browsers too which either run on wifi or tcp settings (tcp settings use would reguire a generic data plan to pay for use)

Some apps will work via wifi and some won't. There should be a list in the wifi forums.

As you probably know you won't get any bbm or other blackberry features but what you want to is is certainly doable.

Without BIS you can't use any core internet-capable apps, including browser. Anything requiring a service book is out.

12-14-10 06:40 PM
    In short yes you can.

Incorrect. Without BB data service, you cannot provision a Blackberry and activate the browser or any other service book controlled apps/features... in some cases, even WIFI is a service book provisioned function via the HRT list.

Without BIS you can't use any core internet-capable apps, including browser. Anything requiring a service book is out.

Correct.
    12-14-10 06:48 PM
    Incorrect. Without BB data service, you cannot provision a Blackberry and activate the browser or any other service book controlled apps/features... in some cases, even WIFI is a service book provisioned function via the HRT list.

Correct.
    Yup. Wifi TCP/IP Browser [BrowserConfig], and WiFi TCP/IP Transport [WPTCP].

12-14-10 07:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD