So the gsm variants of the 83XX, 81xx, and 88xx blackberrys just got some OS love.. does this mean (or will this mean) that newer blackberrys like the 8900 and bold are going to get new leaks subsequently?
    06-30-09 06:03 PM
    Don't hold your breath.
    06-30-09 06:07 PM
    Don't hold your breath.
    Had my hopes up ... usually that happens sometimes
    06-30-09 06:14 PM
    Odds are good it will happen. BlackBerry OS software is under continous development.

You have the next generation of OS trials, v5.0, to look forward too. Enjoy, it's like Christmas every month when that happens.
    06-30-09 08:15 PM
    I think leaks have been plugged. At least for the storm. Can't speak for other devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-09 09:31 PM
    Odds are good it will happen. BlackBerry OS software is under continous development.

You have the next generation of OS trials, v5.0, to look forward too. Enjoy, it's like Christmas every month when that happens.
    Please tell me you know something we dont... every day i am disliking my storm more and more.... really only liked it because it was fun playing with leaks...
    06-30-09 09:37 PM
    Please tell me you know something we dont... every day i am disliking my storm more and more.... really only liked it because it was fun playing with leaks...
    I actually like it overall... but playing with leaks does make it a lot more enjoyable!

06-30-09 09:40 PM
    Nobody knows anything about when leaks will happen. If they say they are going to happen they are talking out of their a$$

06-30-09 09:44 PM
    Nobody knows anything about when leaks will happen. If they say they are going to happen they are talking out of their a$$

more of wishful thinking than actually expecting anything
    06-30-09 09:47 PM

leaks will happen. people always say they will not happen and they do. i may be talking out of my a$$ but they still happen all the time.
    06-30-09 10:17 PM
    They do happen. Sometimes it's like Christmas 4 times a month, and sometimes its only once a month. I think July will see only one update, but it's gonna be a big one.. rooting for BBM 5.0 .. that's really all I want!
    07-01-09 12:11 AM
    its carrier testing that causes the leaks now. RIM's testers don't normally leak there stuff, id imagine there's something unique in it that will tip off rim to the leaker. Thats why all of the leaks are carrier based. Storm got new FW for all the carriers recently so there not gona have as many leaks.
    07-01-09 12:26 AM
    Aye!!!

That's great to see older bb models get OS upgrades.
    More important, is when will the official bb OS 5.0 for newer models
    be available.

Highly anticipating the new designed bbm
    07-01-09 10:10 AM
    As others, waiting for the next 5.0 release.
    07-01-09 10:11 AM
    For confirmation, I am not party to any advanced knowledge. The observation I made is based on past history.

The Storm is no different from previous BlackBerry models, except for the touch screen code. It is a fully functional BlackBerry.
    07-01-09 10:25 AM
    What is the OS leak for the 88xx?

07-01-09 10:45 AM
    In the normal course of events, OS software is tested for approval by carriers. When the carrier is satisfied the OS can be supported by them, they will accept it.

Leaks occur when the carriers testers are prepared to violate the terms of their employment contracts. That does not happen often, particularly with well established OS builds like v4.5xx on the 8*** models.
    07-01-09 11:32 AM
    Seems like you really know your stuff, now I have this question: Why is it that only the smaller, international 'unknown' carriers release OSes or leaks faster then big time carriers like T-Mo, Rogers etc?
    Surely one would think that bigger wireless providers would have larger testing teams and better affiliations with RIM?

Last edited by raji.t; 07-01-09 at 01:05 PM.
    07-01-09 12:40 PM
    The only thing I can tell you is be patient. It WILL happen. There always new improvements being made to the OS.

OS leaks are something you have to be patient about. We just have to wait and see what the future holds.
    07-01-09 12:45 PM
    That's an interesting question. Probably the same reason that other carriers were selling the BOLD last summer utilizing an OS that a lot of CB members on BOLDs were using prior to the official Nov 04 release date on at&t- regardless of the documented issues with the device or no matter how bad(compared to the actual at&t OS release) the OS was "at that" time.

07-01-09 12:57 PM
    Seems like you really know your stuff, now I have this question: Why is it that only the smaller, international 'unknown' carriers release OSes or leaks faster then big time carriers like T-Mo, Rogers etc?
    Surely one would think that bigger wireless providers would have larger testing teams and better affiliations with RIM?

Thank you, I have a lifetime of experience dealing with cranky computers and the software that makes them happy again.

The fact is, the first carrier to accept v4.5xx was Rogers. I took delivery of the one of the first 8120 so equipped.

After a couple months, most of the major carriers had signed on to v4.5xx, but later sub-versions that had passed their acceptance criteria.

When the dust settled, Rogers upgraded my early release to v4.5.0.81, the Gold standard.

Of course, I was well beyond that sub-version on my dedicated test bed, an 8320 Curve.

07-01-09 01:22 PM
    Hmm, that would make sense since RIM is in Canada and Canadian operators would receive software updates and the actual devices prior to anyone else..
    Although I'm still not cleared up as to why smaller carriers get OSes quicker then the larger ones? .250 for the 8900 was released by TIM Italy a couple weeks before Rogers released it.. does that indicate that perhaps Rogers has more rigorous testing procedures, or they simply do not have the time for it?
    07-01-09 01:29 PM
    So there .. the 9500 just got .151 ... now I'm getting excited

07-02-09 12:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD