Sorry if this might be covered in another thread. I'm a Blackberry noob so hopefully this question is valid. I bought my wife a used BB 9900 from Kijiji in Canada. It was a great price and the phone looks great. Well so far Ive unlocked the phone and we are using it with a Rogers prepaid card, that's working fine.

The next step Im thinking about is putting it into a Blackberry plan. I called Bell (which was the original carrier) and asked them about the IMEI number and they said it was active and not stolen. This was my fear. OK now my question, will I have any problem setting up the Bold's PIN with a new sim card. I was doing some reading and it seems the PIN gets registered with BB under a BB account. If this was done by the original owner of the phone am I out of luck setting it up with my account. I can't seem to find any answers to this question. Even on the BB website they give options about selling BB's but only when transfering the original SIM card. I of course want to use a new sim card.

Getting in contact with the seller is a very slim possibility so I'm out in the cold with that option.

Any help would be great,
    Thanks
    Jason
    05-30-12 01:46 PM
    If it is not stolen, there should not be any problem setting it up on a BlackBerry Plan. When you register your BlackBerryID on the phone, it will transfer the PIN to you.
    05-30-12 01:54 PM
    Yep just put your new SIM card in there and start enjoying your BB. The PIN is now yours.

Rock the Berry!
    05-30-12 04:19 PM
    Ok great.
    What is all the fuss I've been reading about used BB's that need to have their PIN released fom the carriers BIS? Or does this not apply here.

I'm gathering by putting in my sim card with bb data plan it will automatically associate the pin to my bb account?
    05-30-12 05:40 PM
    From what I gather people release pins through appworld so the buyer of your berry doesn't get all your paid apps.

I may be completely wrong but that's just how I have deciphered it.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-30-12 07:38 PM
    Ok great.
    What is all the fuss I've been reading about used BB's that need to have their PIN released fom the carriers BIS? Or does this not apply here.

I'm gathering by putting in my sim card with bb data plan it will automatically associate the pin to my bb account?

There is a SMALL chance that you'd have a problem with an unlocked BlackBerry having a PIN registered to a BIS on another carrier, and that user having not closed their BIS account, NOR having activated a new BlackBerry that your PIN will be locked to that BIS account, but a call to a carrier can usually fix that.

for the most part though you shouldn't worry, the PIN is most likely released from Bell's BIS, and free to be added through the set up wizard to Rogers BIS
    05-30-12 07:43 PM
    Sorry if this might be covered in another thread. I'm a Blackberry noob so hopefully this question is valid. I bought my wife a used BB 9900 from Kijiji in Canada. It was a great price and the phone looks great. Well so far Ive unlocked the phone and we are using it with a Rogers prepaid card, that's working fine.

The next step Im thinking about is putting it into a Blackberry plan. I called Bell (which was the original carrier) and asked them about the IMEI number and they said it was active and not stolen. This was my fear. OK now my question, will I have any problem setting up the Bold's PIN with a new sim card. I was doing some reading and it seems the PIN gets registered with BB under a BB account. If this was done by the original owner of the phone am I out of luck setting it up with my account. I can't seem to find any answers to this question. Even on the BB website they give options about selling BB's but only when transfering the original SIM card. I of course want to use a new sim card.

Getting in contact with the seller is a very slim possibility so I'm out in the cold with that option.

Any help would be great,
    Thanks
    Jason
    Buying your wife a BlackBerry! Very nice.
    05-30-12 08:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD