Hello,
    I bought a used 8330 off ebay, and tried doing a memory wipe in Security Setting panel, and everything is wiped clean but the phone still retains the old phone number from the previous owner. When I try to activate the phone, I get an error that activation failed, and its leading me to suspect that it is trying to activate the phone on the old number that is stored in memory.

I already paid a $39 activation fee, which apparently is non-refundable if the activation fails. My provider says they cannot guarantee that the activation will be successful. They say sometimes Blackberry's have difficulty activating, and since I didn't buy through them. But I am wondering if its just a simple solution of clearing this old phone number from memory to get a successful activation.

Any ideas?
    01-08-10 07:05 PM
    If you called your provider about it to walk you through programming and activation, then the programming is not being done correctly.
    01-08-10 07:09 PM
    Wiping the phone will not remove the old phone number. You may have to get in touch with the seller and make sure they cleared their account and freed up the IMEI (sp) number.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.
    01-08-10 07:09 PM
    you are correct. but with cdma it's the ESN or MEID number. Same difference though.
    01-08-10 07:10 PM
    not to mention, some phones cant be easily activated across carriers. is the 8330 you bought branded by the same carrier you have?

theres no reason your phone wouldnt activate. and there are really only two reasons it would fail. first, as mentioned above, the seller never released the PIN off their account. second, what i said, is the phone belongs to another carrier and your carrier cannot activate a device that isnt theirs as the ESN isnt in their database.
    01-08-10 08:11 PM
    You guys are fast.

Well, it was advertised as a Verizon phone, and my carrier requires Verizon, so it seems by process of elimination that the seller has not yet cleared the PIN/ESN from their account.

I have sent a message to the seller and am awaiting a response.

Thank you for the help thus far.
    01-08-10 08:26 PM
    I've successfully added the MEID to my account, it shows up online, did a battery pull, sprint network shows up (its a sprint 9630), but the previous owners number is still in the phone. When I call a number the "my number" box is wrong, where can change that setting? E-chat had me go to options>mobile network>menu>update profile>... but I get "provisioning status, your profile is being updated" for a bit, then eventually it turns to "profile could not be updated" Could this be because it's not trying to register with my correct phone number? E-chat said everything was set-up correctly, that it should be working now, and that I'd have to call tech support for help. Anyone have any ideas?
    01-08-10 09:22 PM
    Hello,
    I bought a used 8330 off ebay, and tried doing a memory wipe in Security Setting panel, and everything is wiped clean but the phone still retains the old phone number from the previous owner. When I try to activate the phone, I get an error that activation failed, and its leading me to suspect that it is trying to activate the phone on the old number that is stored in memory.

I already paid a $39 activation fee, which apparently is non-refundable if the activation fails. My provider says they cannot guarantee that the activation will be successful. They say sometimes Blackberry's have difficulty activating, and since I didn't buy through them. But I am wondering if its just a simple solution of clearing this old phone number from memory to get a successful activation.

Any ideas?
    you need a clean IMEI number for BIS activation.
    01-08-10 11:47 PM
    you need a clean IMEI number for BIS activation.
    he's already been told that in the thread. and its a clean MEID/ESN for a CDMA device.
    01-09-10 12:13 AM
    The seller spoke with Verizon and the rep said that the PIN was in fact released and should be able to be activated with a new service. I spoke with a rep at my carrier, and she mentioned another possibility of the problem originating with Blackbbery's BIS. She wasn't sure, but I thought I'd run this by you all to see what you think. If the BIS web account has not been closed for this Blackberry, could it be the cause for the activation failures?

Many thanks.
    01-13-10 08:03 PM
    he's already been told that in the thread. and its a clean MEID/ESN for a CDMA device.
    apologies completely missed on that.
    01-13-10 11:23 PM
    The seller spoke with Verizon and the rep said that the PIN was in fact released and should be able to be activated with a new service. I spoke with a rep at my carrier, and she mentioned another possibility of the problem originating with Blackbbery's BIS. She wasn't sure, but I thought I'd run this by you all to see what you think. If the BIS web account has not been closed for this Blackberry, could it be the cause for the activation failures?

Many thanks.
    Most definitely that could be the cause. The seller needs to deactivate this phone from THEIR BIS account, and you need to activate it on YOUR BIS account (on a computer, not the phone).
    01-14-10 07:26 AM
    Ok, we finally figured out the solution to this mess. All I had to do was go into the Blackberry phone settings by pressing "##000000", [Send];

The settings I had to change were the following;

1. Mobile Directory Number (my cell phone number)
    2. IMSI_S
    3. Home SID
    4. Blackberry Registration ID

After saving, the device resets itself. I was then able to immediately receive and make phone calls.
    01-14-10 01:16 PM
    Congratulations and thank you for reporting back with your successful technique.
    01-14-10 01:44 PM
    Wiping the phone will not remove the old phone number. You may have to get in touch with the seller and make sure they cleared their account and freed up the IMEI (sp) number.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.
    am having the same problem do i have to contact my seller or i can jusy do it by my self ???
    01-14-10 09:24 PM
    i bout a blackberry tour from ebay its unlocked its from verision but my sim is t mobil the phone works fine with calls and masseges but wen i got blackberry service the internet doesnt work i called my carrier they said we cait hep u now a going to sell my phone someone help.
    01-14-10 09:31 PM
    To the original thread, I thought CDMA phones can only be activated OTA 1 time. After that it requires to be manually programmed. As for the previous post, should start a new thread and not hijack other threads.
    01-14-10 10:34 PM
    when buying off ebay no matter what kind of device smartphone or cell phone
    would be good to ask questions of the seller before placing a bid. If you ask if it has a clean esn and he doesn't understand that, then don't bid. I had a friend wanting a phone off ebay and the guy was selling it cause his wife was leaving the carrier due to work.........but he neglected to say the contract wasn't over. He wasn't planning to pay ETF and wanted the person to take over it on their account but he didn't say that in the description. She was calling me and asking me a lot of questions and I helped her. I am glad she didn't decide to bid on that phone.
    01-14-10 11:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD