I have a wireless router on a far side of my house, and the signal is not that strong to carry calls for my wi-fi capable phones when we go to another side of the house. How do you go about boosting or 'repeating' the signal so that the connectivity is not jeopardized by distance? Is it possible simply to install another wireless router elsewhere in the home? Any suggestions?
    02-02-08 03:23 PM
    First off, what brand and model is the router? If it is a linksys, please look on the bottom and tell me what version it is also.
    02-02-08 03:33 PM
    Linksys 54G v.6

I hear that there's a way to flash the firmware and then boost the power on later versions (v.8), but I haven't come across anything for the v.6

I do have another linksys router I think I can put in another area of the house, but I don't know how to make it so that moving around the house would be seamless, or whether there would be conflicts with the routers...so any help and guidance would be much appreciated. That way, kids could actually use the phones in their rooms instead of congregating all on one side of the house.
    02-02-08 04:46 PM
    I have installed a Linksys WRE54G Range Extender to fill in some signal shadows and extend the connection range. Works great, positioned about 30 meters away from the router.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-08 05:41 PM
    Yeah, my suggestion was going to be to flash a third party firmware on it. I just looked at a couple of the more popular ones but it doesn't look like you have a model that is compatible. Stoner has a good suggestion. I also know that they make after market antennas which you could try.
    02-03-08 01:04 AM
    Personally, I would go get a better router. The WRT54GS works great for UMA out of the box. It has the Speedbooster technology but also has better range than the basic WRT54G. Additionally, if the built in extra range isn't good enough you can flash it with dd-wrt and boost the power (yes, that model is compatible.)

I have a WRT54G v1.0 and flashed it with dd-wrt and increased the power from 28mW to 80mW. UMA works great all over my house, garage, driveway, backyard, etc.
    02-03-08 09:03 AM
    I have installed a Linksys WRE54G Range Extender to fill in some signal shadows and extend the connection range. Works great, positioned about 30 meters away from the router.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I didn't think the range extenders worked with UMA.
    02-03-08 09:04 AM
    Another awesome feature of third party firmware like DD-WRT is that if for some reason you need to allocate more bandwidth to UMA you can do it with QoS.
    02-03-08 12:31 PM
    I didn't think the range extenders worked with UMA.

You may be correct. I am only using my Browser.
    02-03-08 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD