So go back to the iPhone then, if it is so superior to the Bold
    11-20-08 10:00 PM
    Tools>adanced settings. GPS on LAT LONG readings all 0's OUT SIDE not under any roofing or radio shadowing.

SPENCE
    K4KEP
    AMATEUR RADIO ALWAYS WAS WIRELESS
    02-28-10 02:38 PM
    My GPS works fine and my phone puts me 2 houses away. If I use life in pocket also 2 houses away. If I use Google maps without Life in Pocket I am in my neighbours house behind me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-10 06:22 PM
    Anyone else having this problem? It doesn't work at all indoors. And I mean even if I'm right next to the window. Works a little better outdoors. I've tried it with Google Maps, BB Maps, and Live Search.
    The iPhone 3G's GPS worked fine for me.
    I hope there's a fix because right now, this is no better than having no GPS at all.

Give it a read.

You really want a South facing window with line of sight to the horizon if you're inside. An adjacent skyscraper that blocks your view also blocks you GPS's view.

My Bold 9000 works fine inside near South facing windows in my house. I normally use Garmin Mobile for Blackberry as it also has Google Local Search. I normally have a location fix in under 30 seconds with OS 5

Last edited by Spazmogen; 02-28-10 at 07:26 PM.
    02-28-10 07:19 PM
    Whether its an airliner, a bomber, a car, or a BB Bold... All of them need "LINE OF SIGHT" with a number of satilites to triangulate a position.

03-02-10 08:41 PM
    What OS are you running. I found with my bold 5.0.0.464 had horrible GPS problems, but i just installed 5.0.0.509 and it's MUCH BETTER. I get GPS locks inside my house.
    03-02-10 10:15 PM
    hahha. That's not close at all!

I did some more experimenting. Outdoors, Google Maps says "accurate within 9 meters" or "4 meters." As SOON as I'm on the warm side of the door, it says "accurate within 800 meters." I'm assuming 800 meters is gotten through triangulation.

I went to the AT&T store. The display model was the same.

That sounds right. I'd still prefer that though. I can't use Poynt or Live Search's location-aware features at all. At least triangulation would get me in the same neighborhood.
    PS. 4 Meters is about as close as u can get....

Is your Location Aiding Turned On? That will use the cell towers to give u at least some GPS info...

3 Meters is "Public" GPS Lock... so an extra meter isnt that bad if ur trying to find ur own kitchen...

and yes... i use my GPS to find me....

Is your Location Aiding turned on? That way ur phone uses the cell towers to get at least some GPS info
    Last edited by sourkevin; 03-02-10 at 11:52 PM.
    03-02-10 11:49 PM
    GPS signals in any concrete jungle are often more problematic because of signals bouncing off of all the buildings. The can result in lower accuracy and longer lock times..

My Bold, however, works great just about everywhere I have tried it. I can get a quick lock inside my house, and inside most buildings. And it is extremely accurate as well.

Maybe your device has some hardware issues? Good luck!
    03-03-10 10:47 AM
    Price31 is right. The BOLD is slower to get a fix on sats then the 8310 was/is. Don't know what causes it but it almost renders amAze useless and makes BBMaps pointless.
    Man, not me. My Bold gets a fix at least as fast and sometimes much faster than my 8310. And the GPS is not what makes amAze useless, the programmers took care of that just fine on their own. Bar none the worst excuse for a GPS navi app my phone has ever seen.
    03-03-10 09:03 PM
    My GPS works great, maybe you Bold doesn't like you cause you trash talk her.

03-04-10 08:25 AM
    I'm sitting inside a hotel lobby right now and gmaps is working flawlessly. Maybe you just don't know how to work your phone.

03-04-10 05:09 PM
    I'm in and out of nyc about twice a week and it works fine. It could be your device. Sometimes electronics just fail. Give the warranty people a call.

03-05-10 07:11 AM
    I don't know about NYC....but here in Boston my Bold's GPS locks on me faster than my gf's iphone 3GS. I also consistently get locks indoors in places (in the periphery) where she can't even get a lock.

Don't even get me started on call quality between the two!!! We swapped phones for a while and agreed, each is better at certain things.
    03-05-10 11:06 AM
    The gps is ok but not the greatest. I have never got indoor location but it works ok outside or on a bus.

I sometime have to wait ages when outside for a lock though, weather dependant. The network triangulation doesn't seem to work as accurately as my fiancee's HTC Hero. At home I can get within 1000metres, where as she can get within 200.

03-05-10 11:16 AM
    my gps is pretty bad. when I get lost driving, I usually find my way before the gps can pick up the signal. i think iphone gps is a lot better

i live in vancouver too, so it's a large city that should have good connections
    03-05-10 06:45 PM
    I travel all over the states of Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana and have never had a problem with my Bold GPS. G-Maps same thing!
    03-06-10 08:17 AM
    Last week in Sacramento I was at an IT meeting where the iPhone users couldn't get a lock and my Bold actually did (though it failed the next time I tried... And we were indoors so I'm not surprised or upset). I don't think Apple GPS hardware is any better. As a lot of people have said in this thread, the iPhone just falls back on cell triangulation whereas BlackBerry just plain tells you when it can get a lock. Apps like Google Maps and BerryWeather can build-in that behavior and give you approximate location when GPS is unavailable, but otherwise the phone won't behave like it knows where it is.

03-06-10 08:36 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD