First you need to set up the wifi router and have the Wifi Router Name on the top of the screen.

Wifi symbol now can be two kind: Grey or Solid White

Grey : means you can browse the internet in browser.
    Open the bookmark
    Choose Wifi Hot Spot Login (in Wi-Fi Services Folder)
    It will give you a message: Your Blackberry device is now connected to the internet.

BUT you cannot do Push email, MSN Messenger, BB Messenger
    to access this, you would need A Solid White Wifi

How to get a Solid White Wifi?

You would need a sim card with Blackberry Plan in it
    Connect into the Mobile Network (under Manage Connection Menu)
    You will get an Email from Blackberry (Subject: Registration)
    The message " Your handheld has been registered with the wireless network"
    This means you are on Blackberry.net
    Wifi symbol now turns solid white
    Now you can turn off the Mobile Network (under Manage Connection Menu), the handset will be able to accomplish all blackberry functions (BB Messenger, Push Email, Browsing, MSN Messenger via wifi network without any SIM connection)

Hope this might be useful for those of you finding wifi is a problem with your new Blackberry bold
    11-16-08 07:18 AM
    I don't have an issue GETTING my wifi symbol to turn white, I have a problem with it STAYING white.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-08 07:36 AM
    I can't surf the internet when wifi turns grey.

11-16-08 08:11 AM
    This happened to me on various firmware. I am now using 190 and it happened once or twice. What I did is reset the router and then rescanned with the bold. This helped.
    11-16-08 08:15 AM
    I found that when it's grey it is switched on thru the Bold when it's white it's connected to the router and thats the ONLY time you can surf the net thru the router.
    11-16-08 08:45 AM
    Yup. Can't do anything unless it's white.

11-16-08 09:12 AM
    Grey = WiFi on but not connected.

White = WiFi on and connected.
    11-16-08 10:20 AM
    Grey = WiFi on but not connected.

White = WiFi on and connected.
    When my wifi icon goes gray, my routers name is still displayed on top of the home screen, so I think its still connected. Its just not active. At least that is my assumption.

I just cant figure out why it doesnt stay active. Never an issue on my iphone.
    11-16-08 04:59 PM
    Maybe you should check reception with other devices?
    11-16-08 05:21 PM
    I can still browse, do msn, ym, bb mes., everything with Gray WiFi. Weird huh?

11-16-08 07:29 PM
    I think the white WiFi means that you have an active connection to the Blackberry server through the WiFi. Similar to EDGE vs edge, or the 3G with the BB symbol next to it. I haven't played with it all that much, but I have noticed that if my WiFi icon is grey, all my browsing, Viigo, etc is all done via the cellular network, not over the WiFi connection. Now, I have not configured my browser to Hotspot Browser. I have an unlimited BIS plan, so I don't worry about it. I just keep it on Internet Browser all the time. That might be why I can't surf on the grey WiFi, I'm not sure.
    11-17-08 09:45 AM
    as per the last post his first sentence is all the white wifi logo means. mine is never white (god knows why not) but i can surf over wifi no problemo.

and again to the last poster you answered your own question. that's exactly why you can't surf all the time. your browser has to be set to 'hotspot' and it will allow you to continue to surf.
    11-17-08 10:18 AM
    Well, surfing isn't the issue, it's just that I can't surf on the WiFi when it's grey. I'm sure it's just the hotspot browser config issue. I just didn't want to give the impression that I've tried it and it didn't work. I'm really just lazy.
    11-17-08 10:30 AM
    Well, surfing isn't the issue, it's just that I can't surf on the WiFi when it's grey. I'm sure it's just the hotspot browser config issue. I just didn't want to give the impression that I've tried it and it didn't work. I'm really just lazy.
    sorry that is what i ment to say. to surf over wifi all the time then yes it should be set to hotspot, but if you are happy over 3G/2G connection with your browser set to IE then it's all good. :-)
    11-17-08 10:46 AM
    Pardon my stupidity, what's the difference between wifi and hotspot?

11-17-08 10:53 AM
    wifi icon never changes color from gray to white, even when there is active wifi connection with the device (I assume the wifi connection is active coz I can surf the net via bb hotspot browser).

I'v been trying to figure out what's goin on for a couple of weeks now, but no luck yet.

Can someone pls explain what's goin on & why does the wifi logo does not change color???
    03-16-09 02:01 PM
    wifi icon never changes color from gray to white, even when there is active wifi connection with the device (I assume the wifi connection is active coz I can surf the net via bb hotspot browser).

I'v been trying to figure out what's goin on for a couple of weeks now, but no luck yet.

Can someone pls explain what's goin on & why does the wifi logo does not change color???
    Do you have a BB data plan?
    From my understanding, if you do not have a plan; the wifi symbol will always be grey. If you do however have one, then it will be a solid white and when you check your connections, you will get a green check mark instead of a white horizontal line.
    03-16-09 02:48 PM
    Do you have a BB data plan?
    From my understanding, if you do not have a plan; the wifi symbol will always be grey. If you do however have one, then it will be a solid white and when you check your connections, you will get a green check mark instead of a white horizontal line.
    I do have a data plan, but do not have a UMA connection to the Carrier. It's pretty strange, even though the device wifi is connected with the router & I am surfing, the color is still gray.
    03-16-09 03:37 PM
    From my experience:

Grey WiFi icon = sometimes the net can be connected
    White WiFi icon = fully functional net + BIS (never appears when non-BIS SIM card is inserted).
    03-16-09 03:47 PM
    I believe the OP is mistaken.

On my Rogers Bold the only time I can browse on WiFi is if the symbol is white.

If it's gray and I open my browser I'll see 3G in the top right corner. If WiFi is white then I get that same WiFi symbol in the corner of my browser.

I'm with everyone else who says White = On and connected. Gray = On but no Wireless available.
    03-16-09 03:58 PM
    OK, can someone explain the difference between gray and white?

Mine is white and black like WI in white and Fi in black...

Sorry if this is a stupid question but i am still learning
    03-16-09 04:21 PM
    I believe the OP is mistaken.

On my Rogers Bold the only time I can browse on WiFi is if the symbol is white.

If it's gray and I open my browser I'll see 3G in the top right corner. If WiFi is white then I get that same WiFi symbol in the corner of my browser.

I'm with everyone else who says White = On and connected. Gray = On but no Wireless available.
    I agree, however there must be something to do with signal strength as well.
    I have a wireless setup in my house, yet I still alternate b/w grey and white.
    03-16-09 04:34 PM
    OK I guess the white and blck is the grey you guys are talking about. However i followed the steps to get the solid white WIFI but it won t turn all white.

I am connected to my home WIFI though as i can see the name next to the AT&T . However the WIFI sign is still grey .

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance
    03-16-09 04:46 PM
    Try removing your SIM card and switch the phone on and connect it to WiFi. The icon will never go white even though the connection is established and the browser is usable (no BIS function, however).
    03-16-09 05:00 PM
    I did that it connects to my home WIFI. However, it still stays grey.

Is there anything else i can try to get the WIFI in all white?
    03-16-09 07:06 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD