05-27-09 06:46 AM
- I just purchased my blackberry Bold about a week ago, but I have been having huge problems with my wifi and app store.
The wifi seems to go very slow and theres almost no point in using it. Does anyone have any information or tips that could help speed it up?
Also my Bold says I can't use the app store, or any other app for that matter, whenever I try to use it. Can anyone tell me if the app store is only available over the monthly service, or is there a way to use it over just wifi?
I refuse to pay the monthly service, so the wifi is a necessity.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.05-26-09 05:23 PM
- I think you have to have the data plan to take advantage of wifi. It's not just a freebie. I know it's tough but you'll have to scarifice something to get that data plan. Forget about the extra CDs, DVDs, cigarettes, booze, car accessories or whatever you spend your extra cash on. Get the data plan. It's worth it and as mandony said, get the full benefit. You won't regret it.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com05-26-09 07:24 PM
- Well the thing is I don't buy CDs, DVDs, music, and so on. Theres only two things I really spend money on, that is my gym membership, which is 30 a month, and my car payment, both of which are monthly. I really have no way of getting the service, even though I really want it I don't want to give up the gym.05-26-09 10:29 PM
- You really have good financial discipline.
However BB's service is pretty expensive, especially on ATT. I'd suggest you to get an WM or SB instead. You won't have so many restrictions on wifi on these platforms. iPhone is probably OK too but it is much more expensive.05-26-09 10:34 PM
- There are plenty of users here on the forums that use WiFi only. The data plan does not need to be used. I do have to agree with the feelings of some of the others in wondering why to purchase a smartphone if all of the features are not to be used.
Not my problem, though, as it shouldn't be anyone else's. You bought the phone for a reason and that is your decision.
As for the WiFi being slow, it could have something to do with the router, or the browser settings on the phone itself.
First, make sure you have a WiFi network listed at the top of the screen, as you may be on cellular data, which will be a bigger pain than the $30 a month for the data plan when the bill comes in. AT&T is not afraid to hit you for hundreds of dollars if they need to for data costs, assuming you use that much.
Go to Options-->Advanced-->Browser and change the default browser to the hotspot browser, then see if that helps the speed problems.05-27-09 03:11 AM
- All the PDA functions work without data, and the Bold is the best PDA I've ever seen. It's great for media too, as long as you don't have a bunh of DRM files that require a media sync program. You can download and install apps over WiFi without using the phone's standard radio at all, which means no data usage. AT&T can actualy turn off data access for your phone entirely. Lot's of apps (including the web browser) work great on WiFi only, and shutting them all down when you're not near a WiFi hotspot will do wonders for your memory usage and battery life. The speed of the Bold will blow any Windows Mobile phone out of the water.
I say go for it. If you find the dta too addictive, you can always step up to a data plan once you're making more money.05-27-09 05:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD