I have recently moved from a regular cell phone to an iPhone 3Gs. I do like the phone very much, but strongly dislike the battery life.

I need a smartphone, and am curious how the battery life of a Bold compares with the iPhone. If it is substantially better than I will consider exchanging before my 30 days return/exchange period is up. I do not require a touch-screen. Of course I have looked at the specs but I also like to hear the experience of others.

Would the Curve have a similar battery life?

Considering all that is going on "under the hood" for both the iPhone and Blackberry, I suspect that the battery life is similar, but perhaps I am wrong. I am not ready to jump the Apple ship yet, but am willing to consider it.

Thanks for your input!
    06-26-09 09:12 AM
    I have recently moved from a regular cell phone to an iPhone 3Gs. I do like the phone very much, but strongly dislike the battery life.

I need a smartphone, and am curious how the battery life of a Bold compares with the iPhone. If it is substantially better than I will consider exchanging before my 30 days return/exchange period is up. I do not require a touch-screen. Of course I have looked at the specs but I also like to hear the experience of others.

Would the Curve have a similar battery life?

Considering all that is going on "under the hood" for both the iPhone and Blackberry, I suspect that the battery life is similar, but perhaps I am wrong. I am not ready to jump the Apple ship yet, but am willing to consider it.

Thanks for your input!
    Owned a 3G and now have the bold, would say bold is better by a whisker. But all smartphones are the same, mini computers eat battery, if you want battery life get a bold with a second battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-09 09:32 AM
    Not only this, but with a Bold you can buy an extended battery that will give you quite a bit more life than with the iPhone.
    06-26-09 09:47 AM
    Thanks for your thoughts, I had not considered the ability to have an additional battery. I have also heard that there are charging "cases" available for the iPhone that greatly extends the battery life as well. All good things to consider, for sure. Of course, there is also the question as to whether the charging case would decrease the overall life of the iPhone battery, but that is a question for Apple.

I agree that smartphones these days really are micro-computers, and all that we expect them to do cannot help but to drain batteries.
    06-26-09 10:38 AM
    I have a Storm and am on it all day constantly. My battery life is good and you can change enough settings on it to extend the life. I also have a spare battery which is charged that I keep in my backpack just in case I can't get to a charger. Say I'm on a plane for 4-5 hours watching movies or listening to music the whole time, it's nice to be able to just pop in a new battery and keep going. Something NO iphone can do period. Bad design in my opinion. Going into it knowing that the iphone has poor battery life and not give the user the option to replace the dead battery with a new one is an oversight. Oh well.
    06-26-09 10:52 AM
    I owned and iphone 3g, and compared to my bold, both have their weaknesses. Bold has better usage when it comes to actual usage, but terrible standby times. The iPhone isn't has good at handling usage, but standby times are much better. If you're a heavy user, Bold is the winner. If you're not a heavy user, then probably iPhone. That was the case with 3G, don't know about 3GS though.

Btw while some don't like the idea that iphones have no removal battery, I prefer it. The build quality is much better because everything is nonremovable. I've seen so many dropped iphones or even ran over by a car that still worked.
    06-26-09 10:58 AM
    I owned and iphone 3g, and compared to my bold, both have their weaknesses. Bold has better usage when it comes to actual usage, but terrible standby times. The iPhone isn't has good at handling usage, but standby times are much better. If you're a heavy user, Bold is the winner. If you're not a heavy user, then probably iPhone. That was the case with 3G, don't know about 3GS though.

Btw while some don't like the idea that iphones have no removal battery, I prefer it. The build quality is much better because everything is nonremovable. I've seen so many dropped iphones or even ran over by a car that still worked.
    I have the Seido Innocase II on my Storm and have droped it and never had any issues with the case flying apart or the battery popping out or the screen cracking. I have seen many iphone's however with cracked screens & shattered glass, just from dropping it off a desk in class. My GF has an iphone and with her phone it is constant problems. She is always booted off the internet over and over again, not too mention the extremely poor service half the time I dont even bother to call her cause she can't hear me anyways, the very first day we bought the phone the screen went black for a day and a half, we cant do updates on it because for whatever reason I cant access the itunes store from my laptop and the "geniuses" at the store cant figure it out either so we have to make an appointment to get anything updated on it, battery life is horrid on her phone, no customization on it (themeing), no multitasking, you cant even take a picture with a flash.
    Personally from my experience having used both phones alot I would not even think about switching to the iphone let alone At&t's service. I'm sure hundreds of thousands of people disagree with everything I am saying and hop on the iphone ban waggon but its a personal choice of what you value as a priority. Good luck with the iphone if you choose to get it I hope you have better luck than my girl has with hers....
    06-26-09 11:12 AM
    No way.

The Bolds battery is better by a whisker you say?

I don't think so.

My iPhone lasts me barely to 8:00 PM.

My Bold can survive about a day and a half.

And I'm a pretty heavy user.

Bolds battery wins hands down.
    06-26-09 11:13 AM
    Let's see. When I first got my Bold, I could listen to music all day (literally eight hours), surf the web for about half an hour during lunch, shoot off a few emails, a few text messages, and use AT&T Navigator to direct me to the nearest GameStop. So, usage from about nine in the morning to eight in the evening, I was at about fifty percent battery life.

Ever since I upgraded to OS 4.6.0.282, which gives you the option to turn off 3G, that has gone up to about 60 percent battery life at the end of the day.
    06-26-09 07:45 PM
    Really depends on the apps you keep running.
    06-26-09 07:55 PM
    My 3GS battery life is pretty comparable to the Bold. The 3G was lacking but the new one def last a lot longer. I'm sorry but there are a bunch of other features besides battery life that's going to make me switch from either device. Battery life to me isn't that far up on the priority list especially being near a computer all day or in the car, I can plug my phone up everywhere I am. But hey, that's just me.
    06-26-09 08:05 PM
    I had the iphone 3g and my bold last A LOT longer than that did so that's just my opinion. I also just bought the 1650 mah extended battery from seidio because its more power and the same size!

06-26-09 09:19 PM
    I had the iphone 3g and my bold last A LOT longer than that did so that's just my opinion. I also just bought the 1650 mah extended battery from seidio because its more power and the same size!
    That's Apple for ya. Battery life what they want, even if non-optimal. Can't replace the battery, even if another solution exists. Only solution? Pay Apple more money to upgrade to the new phone.

Steve Jobs will be running a brand new record for taking an innovative, dominating product and running it out of business in record time.
    07-10-09 04:15 PM
    That's Apple for ya. Battery life what they want, even if non-optimal. Can't replace the battery, even if another solution exists. Only solution? Pay Apple more money to upgrade to the new phone.

Steve Jobs will be running a brand new record for taking an innovative, dominating product and running it out of business in record time.
    The iPhone is going out of business anytime soon. And there are solutions. This one comes to mind-
    INCASE INTRODUCES POWER SLIDER CASE FOR IPHONE 3G
    07-10-09 07:09 PM
    The iPhone will become a minority player. Sad but true. Apple screwed up this time by not allowing third party developers to provide fixes. Now OS3.0 burns the battery like a Los Angeles wild fire.

Thanks for the link but carrying an external battery with you is a total joke. That case is not available any more and none of the cases apparently are. The only thing avaialble are these awkward battery extenders. The non-replaceable battery in the iPhone has now become a running joke...
    07-10-09 07:24 PM
    The simplest answer is, the "on paper" specs notwithstanding,
    actual battery life is dependent on how the individual uses
    the device.
    07-10-09 07:26 PM
    If you left both an iPhone on and then a Bold on, and left them on a table, battery life would be less on the iPhone, and thats without even using it.

The reason why the iPhone' drains so quickly is because it has a dedicated graphics chip that also requires power, as well as a touch screen..
    07-10-09 07:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD