Hi, my bold cannot detect ad-hoc (with shared internet LAN), I did this because I wanna my bold to connect to internet through my computer's internet connection.

I did the same thing on my MAC, IT works perfectly. But any wifi set up using windows, bold cannot detect it?

Any ideas?
    09-02-08 01:43 PM
    Sounds like an issue with the Windows machine then.
    09-02-08 01:50 PM
    No, I don't think so. Because I borrowed my friend's iphone and it can detect both wifi. (the one set up using MAC and the one set up using windows)

I don't understand why bold can only detect wifi set up by mac.
    09-02-08 02:12 PM
    Hi Guys,

I have the same problem. I have a Windows laptop, and I set up an adhoc wifi connection so I can have mobile internet around the house. My iPhone can detect the wifi without any problems but my Bold can't!

Appreciate the help here. I saw a similar topic in the official BB forums but there was no answer provided there.

Thanks a lot in advance!

appledeuce
    09-20-09 12:42 AM
    I'm confused as to what you are saying. Do you have a wireless router that your laptop connects to, or is the laptop using a wired connection?

If you have a Wireless Router, the BB or iPhone should connect to it NOT your laptop. If your laptop is wired to the router and wants to share the connection via wireless then you need to turn on sharing at the laptop. Maybe the Mac does that by default? (Dangerous, but possible)
    09-20-09 10:39 AM
    I'm confused as to what you are saying. Do you have a wireless router that your laptop connects to, or is the laptop using a wired connection?

If you have a Wireless Router, the BB or iPhone should connect to it NOT your laptop. If your laptop is wired to the router and wants to share the connection via wireless then you need to turn on sharing at the laptop. Maybe the Mac does that by default? (Dangerous, but possible)
    Hi Amigadude,

First of all, thanks for taking time to respond.

My laptop is connected to cable internet, and by creating an ad-hoc connection, you actually can share wi-fi access to wireless devices WITHOUT a router. in short, my laptop also serves as the router.

Now, my iPhone has no problems detecting the wifi signal from my laptop and I'm able to connect to the internet on the iPhone. However, my BB Bold can't detect the wifi signal at all.

Again, appreciate any help you guys can provide.

appledeuce
    09-21-09 12:28 AM
    I'm having the same trouble so came here to resolve it... still looking.
    01-06-10 06:17 PM
    sounds like no solutions...
    02-18-10 10:47 PM
    So I found this response in another forum:

"You can connect to a Wi-Fi router providing infrastructure service. Most all SOHO wi-Fi routers provide this mode of access.

Ad Hoc mode had a period where it got a bad reputation, mainly from Windows equipped laptops connecting to each other, with wild abandon. In the buisness context Ad Hoc is (by my experience, YMMV) not very important so IMO Rim decided the security risk of supporting Ad Hoc mode and increasing the exposure of their buisnes customers wasn't worth it. Other, less security concious vendors may decide diferently. When you buy a Blackberry you have to accept where there is a choic of security over convenience, Rim will almost always choose security".

Rather inconvenient, but makes sense.
    05-12-10 02:29 PM
    You might want to read this doc from RIM. They say ad-hoc is not allowed, period:

Security features of a Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry device
    07-08-10 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD