Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    288986cf
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Bold 9900 WiFi strength

I seem to be having a problem with my blackberry's wifi reciever (dont know how the thing is actually called), at home, 20 feet away from my router the signal goes down to 1 bar and in most of the cases it drops whereas my wifes 9810 shows 4 bars. I dont really think its my router, because every single other device has a way stronger signal like my ipad, my ipod, my laptop, my tv, etc., plus the strength is just as bad on every single other network i connect to. Nor a blackberry thing since, like i said, my wife gets 4 out of 5 bars and so does my old 9780! I dont think its a OS thing either because ive had the same issue over two 7.0 versions and this current 7.1 one.

I just want some kind if confirmation or adivce on wether to return the "faulty" device, in case its faulty, if im doing something wrong, which i do not believe, or if the handheld is actually supposed to be that way (crappy).

Thanks in advance.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    PIN
    28a72417

Id say the wifi antenna within the phone is messed. return it as a faulty device and get a new one
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by my240sx88 View Post
    Id say the wifi antenna within the phone is messed. return it as a faulty device and get a new one
    Same here, my router is upstairs and I get full wi fi signal all over the house.
    Bold 9900 on Vodafone UK running BL Ultimate Hybrid RC22 over Claro Argentina .1098 Base and .sfi

If I've helped or amused you feel free to use the Liked or Thanked buttons
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,989 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin is a small and pointy object...so it's really not for little ones.

I don't think it is faulty because I have a high end wireless router. My old Bold 9700 picks up the signal really well while the Bold 9900 cant get a strong signal even when I am close to the router. RIM really dropped the ball on choosing the right parts for the phone.

Also, during the first week I had to exchange my Bold 9900 several times for different reasons. All the phones including the current one have bad wifi reception.

Sent from BlackBerry Bold 9900 website
    Pearl™ 8130 > Bold™ 9700 (Unlocked) > Bold™ 9900 (Unlocked)
    One step forward, two steps backwards; the Research in (slow) Motion.
    WWW: My Site | Geek Community
    Find my posts useful? Please let me know by clicking Thanks
    CrackBerry Addict

I agree, it's the 9900. I don't even get 20ft out of mine. However my 9700 & 9980 will keep the signal 30-40ft. Additionally, the 9900 looses the connection when it has 4+ bars and when I try to re-connect, I get the error "Invalid WiFi Association". 2-3 trys later, it'll connect. It's the device as it has happened on all OSs I've installed. Because of this, I turn off the WiFi before streaming media.
    CrackBerry Newbie

ive heard that its 9900s fault
    i really miss my old 9780

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    288986cf
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by starchit View Post
    I agree, it's the 9900. I don't even get 20ft out of mine. However my 9700 & 9980 will keep the signal 30-40ft. Additionally, the 9900 looses the connection when it has 4+ bars and when I try to re-connect, I get the error "Invalid WiFi Association". 2-3 trys later, it'll connect. It's the device as it has happened on all OSs I've installed. Because of this, I turn off the WiFi before streaming media.
    Dude, what the ? You have a porsche and two other blackberries?
    Sir, I am jealous. No joke.

Anyway, back on topic. More replies would really be appreciated. Just to confirm the phone itself is crappy.

@first two guys, any settings you wouldnt mind sharing with us?
    CrackBerry Abuser

^If I had to guess, I'd say from "9980" he meant "9780"
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,036 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not gonna happen

97xx wifi range > 99xx wifi range. Thats a fact...
  10. FBA
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts

9900 WiFi radio sucks - worst sensitivity of any WiFi device I have ever used...

Every one of our 9900 WiFi radios just plain suck. Bluetooth isn't any better. It seems they made serious compromises on all the radios on the 9900. I'm not impressed.
    Z10
    Steve - Besadmin
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    288986cf
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Has RIM even addressed the issue? No information regarding this seemingly huge fault from their part?
    CrackBerry Master

I don't notice any difference between the 9900 and 9780/9700. Mind you I've got the router set to b/g...not n as that screws up my PlayBook.
    CrackBerry User

I got no other than 9900 to test but my kitchen is about 8 meters away from my Virgin router (UK) and I can not make wi-fi calls from kitchen as I am loosing my wi-fi network
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,028 Global Posts

I had decent WiFi with my 9900 and just a few days ago, it wasn't good for more than 20 feet. Until this huge issue, I loved my 9900, now it is effectively useless at work where my cellular signal is spotty (I work in a college). I will take it to Rogers and see what they do... probably send it out for repair and not fix anything.
    BlackBerry Z10 (10.2.1.3175), BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB Wi-Fi (2.1.0.1753), Microsoft Surface 2 (Windows 8.1 RT Update 1)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    PIN
    28a72417

Well it looks like my 9900 falls into this category too.......I read a thread talking about wifi issues a few weeks back and my 9900 was fine......not a week later my Bold was having the same problem. Ive been a fan of BB ever since the 8310 fell into my hands. I'm really disappointed with this issue and expected more from BB and their "flagship device"
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,028 Global Posts

Well it looks like my 9900 falls into this category too.......I read a thread talking about wifi issues a few weeks back and my 9900 was fine......not a week later my Bold was having the same problem. Ive been a fan of BB ever since the 8310 fell into my hands. I'm really disappointed with this issue and expected more from BB and their "flagship device"
    I wonder if this is a hardware problem or some corrupt "Wi-Fi" file? I know that cellular radio strength can vary based on OS... but this?
    BlackBerry Z10 (10.2.1.3175), BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB Wi-Fi (2.1.0.1753), Microsoft Surface 2 (Windows 8.1 RT Update 1)
    CrackBerry User

I've heard about 9700s with the same fault. I think it is certainly an antenna issue within certain models. Not much we can do about it, as far as I'm aware
    David
    CrackBerry User

I suspect the Antenna sensitivity
    David
    CrackBerry User

Default bold 9900 wifi strength

I bought my 9900 when it came out in November. Wifi strength has been great until 2 days ago. Signal is strong on all other devices (laptops, iphones, ipods). 9900 used to pick up wifi when I was a block from my house and was connected by the time I pulled in my garage. Now I can't even go on my deck or front porch without disconnecting from wifi. I am going to go to AT&T and see if they will replace the device. Also, just turned on wifi on 2 year old Torch 9800 that I just deactivated and it is getting 4 wifi bars where my 9900 gets 1.
    Last edited by erose75; 07-02-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Global Posts
    36,832 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!

Folks, I'm having the same issues here regarding wifi connection. Every other device I have connects fine with a strong signal, and stays connected. This includes my 9810, playbook, ipod, laptop...

Now on the 9900, I'm lucky to get 1-2 bars if that. Constantly drops and then fails to find the router. But if I stand right beside the router, I get full signal. I'm at a loss. I need the wifi at home because I don't have unlimited data. Not to mention what it does to my battery life - with the constant connecting and reconnecting

I can't get it replaced because it was bought used, so I don't know what to do. There has to be a solution for this???
    CrackBerry Addict

I know this thread is almost 6 months old but wanted to post that my WiFi strength problem was fixed!! Installing ATT's .694 did the trick for me.

Sent from my Bold Dakota
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts

are you sure the problems fixed? im dowloading now, hope it works *fingers crossed*

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,028 Global Posts

This is unbelievable! I had a 9900 that developed this problem six months ago.... then sent it in and go a new one that worked fine until today... same problem! Wi-Fi just doesn't last on the 9900! I'm done with this phone.... 2 phones with the same failure?! I can barely get 20 feet out of it.