The apps that BlackBerry has put out in the past (maps/traffic, travel, news, etc.) have always been very practical and useful. What the apps haven't necessarily been are fun or shiny (at least not as shiny as they could be). In the battle of pretty vs. practical, practical has always won.

I get it though, BlackBerry is a professional platform made for professionals and people that want to get things done (tools not toys). To break away from their comfort zone and really put themselves out there with something fun and funky would be tough and out of character. Releasing BlackBerry apps that are more pretty than practical could potentially take away from the lure/rep of the current BlackBerry apps which are known to be very powerful useful and necessary tools. Fun and funky would fragment the image of the brand.

BMW has M power and Mercedes has AMG division. Their jobs are to make things awesome: more fun, more power, more pretty. TAT can be all that for BlackBerry.

What BlackBerry needs to do is unleash TAT and let them do their own thing (within BlackBerry of course). Brand apps under TAT instead of BlackBerry. Make the apps fun, unique, and exclusive to BlackBerry. Bring TAT concept apps to reality, bring them to the public. We've all seen and drooled over the TAT demos. BlackBerry isn't going to bring fun and funky TAT apps to the public because they're more pretty than practical which isn't BlackBerry. Using a sub-brand like TAT, will allow BlackBerry the freedom to bring that fun, that funky, and that pretty over practical to their users. Having an exclusive apps that are cool and awesome will help bring more people to the brand. Developers are doing a great job right now, but their apps aren't nearly as cool as what TAT has demo'd. Let's get the TAT guys to get out there and make some really cool apps.

Thoughts?
    mediadavid and j21jam6 like this.
    06-20-13 03:17 AM
    +10gajillion

Exclusive contents for the loyals of BlackBerry.

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    06-20-13 03:32 AM
    lol, TAT is big involved in the BlackBerry 10 UI.

what I want to see more - something like the Porsche Design 9900.

Why not make a Ferrari design Z10 and call it F10.

Or a Armani Q10
    Hello Kitty Q5
    Porsche Design A10
    :
    :

TAT should concentrate on the core UI, UX, SDK,...

Posted via CB10
    06-20-13 03:40 AM
    Tat is working on the sdk they can't allocate touch ressources in app development instead they provide the tools to do just that. However, I think they should provide at least a super useful eye candy app for each native app. So far we have scrapbook for the playbook, then clock, the compass, the calculator, print to go for the z10.

This is kinda short in my opinion, they should at least have contacts (remember that 3d contact app they teased), doc sharing (again teased), phone, media player, a super map app and a super weather app

Posted via CB10
    06-20-13 03:42 AM
    I agree, a sub-brand that creates amazing, exclusive and deeply integrated BlackBerry apps would be pretty awesome. For once I would like to see a cool feature/gesture/even gimmick in Facebook or Twitter that is exclusive to BlackBerry, if even only for a while.

If anything, I'd hope that BlackBerry has asked TAT to continually take a look at any design opportunities in the core apps or the OS itself, without fragmenting the established standard of course.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-13 04:14 AM
    I think BlackBerry is up to something. The creator of BBM, Gary Klassen, tweeted recently that he is moving to Sweden to work with TAT. I don't know what this means but it sounds interesting. Anybody have any thoughts on what this move could produce ?

Posted via CB10
    06-20-13 06:05 AM
    I think they have something planned along those lines.
    TAT is mostly busy with the SDK right now and we have to remember that they are a small company of about 30-40 employees. Would love to see BlackBerry include some awesome TAT designs soon!
    06-20-13 06:14 AM
    I think BlackBerry is up to something. The creator of BBM, Gary Klassen, tweeted recently that he is moving to Sweden to work with TAT. I don't know what this means but it sounds interesting. Anybody have any thoughts on what this move could produce ?

Posted via CB10
    TAT is all about cross-platform and embedded devices. BBM is going cross-platform and they want to have BBM on every single device they can run it on which means cross-platform and embedded devices. The extension of BBM Money mainly. You can pay taxi from your BBM..
    06-20-13 06:24 AM
    Yeah we can get fancy stuff later.Right now the OS is nowhere where BB want it to be when the framework is done.You can expect TAT apps in store.But right now I rather they complete the OS.
    06-20-13 06:24 AM
    lol, TAT is big involved in the BlackBerry 10 UI.
    TAT should concentrate on the core UI, UX, SDK,...

Posted via CB10
    i know they're involved in the UI an a few select apps (calculator and compass look aweome). but those are tools. more practical than pretty. there's a splash of flash and pretty in there, but it's nothing crazy. i want something crazy awesome like their contacts app or the that uses the tilt/orientation of the phone as part of the ui.

I think they have something planned along those lines.
    TAT is mostly busy with the SDK right now and we have to remember that they are a small company of about 30-40 employees. Would love to see BlackBerry include some awesome TAT designs soon!
    didn't know that they only had so little employees. but common, not everyone needs to be working on the sdk 24/7. let them have loose a little and let them pursue outside projects. 3M and Google are some of the most innovative companies in the world in terms of new products. they let their employees have time to test and play with their own things, in fact they allocate part of the day or week to that. without this free time, we wouldn't have scotch tape or gmail.
    06-20-13 09:57 AM
    Don't think TAT can bring vine, Netflix, and Instagram.
    06-20-13 11:01 AM
    Don't think TAT can bring vine, Netflix, and Instagram.
    i'm not saying make Vine, Netflix, or Instagram (although they could make an instagram viewer like flipboard).

Check this out...
    (too shiny/fun for BB)

(love this weather app)

there are a ton more.
    06-20-13 11:07 AM