I have a Curve 8330 that is tied to a corporate BES server.

With IT's blessing, I just upgraded my Curve 8330 from OS 4.3 to 4.5. Under 4.3, bluetooth was enabled by default upon startup (either soft or battery pull). So, basically I could turn on the phone and all my BT devices would be linked automatically - I didn't have to go into any menus or do anything special to turn on bluetooth.

However ever since installing 4.5, bluetooth is NOT automatically enabled at startup - it is disabled. In fact, the only way to get BT working is to go into the BT menu and enable it - and here's the worst part - before it will finally turn on, I have to enter my BES password!!

Once I do all that, BT turns on. After I shut the phone though, I have to do it all over again in order to get bluetooth working.

Does anyone know if this is a known 4.5 issue?? IT didn't seem to know about the issue, so I can't say this is definitely due to an IT bluetooth policy (besides, again BT worked fine for me under 4.3).

This is very frustrating!! Driving down the road and before you can take your call you have to go deep into menus and type passwords......crazy.
    03-21-09 08:54 PM
    It sounds like a poorly implemented IT Policy restricting Bluetooth use has been pushed to your phone. Bluetooth is often considered a security risk. My employer recently started disabling the Bluetooth on all our laptops for that reason.

You obviously are on good terms with your IT dept. Pursue it further with them.
    03-21-09 09:15 PM
    It sounds like a poorly implemented IT Policy restricting Bluetooth use has been pushed to your phone. Bluetooth is often considered a security risk. My employer recently started disabling the Bluetooth on all our laptops for that reason.

You obviously are on good terms with your IT dept. Pursue it further with them.
    Hey there Jeff!!!! Question for you- if discoverable is turned off, wouldn't that greatly minimize any security risks? I mean, what harm can be done if you cant be found? In the OP's case, (which he may want to present to his IT) he'd only need to be discovered when adding new BT devices, and if he now has everything setup the way he needs, he may be able to get them to alter the policy a bit that would allow his BT to remain on.

Just a thought....
    03-22-09 06:11 AM
    Hey there Jeff!!!! Question for you- if discoverable is turned off, wouldn't that greatly minimize any security risks? I mean, what harm can be done if you cant be found? In the OP's case, (which he may want to present to his IT) he'd only need to be discovered when adding new BT devices, and if he now has everything setup the way he needs, he may be able to get them to alter the policy a bit that would allow his BT to remain on.

Just a thought....
    Scandalex, Yes, you are exactly right. Bluetooth should always be not discoverable, except for the couple of minutes needed for initial pairing. Nobody can hack what they can't see.

At least our IT Policy still permits Bluetooth Headsets for BlackBerry devices. And probably will for the foreseeable future, since we have another rule that requires us to use handsfree headsets if we talk while driving.
    03-22-09 09:05 AM
    Well, all the IT guys (who didn't actually look at my phone) contend that everything "looks good" from the server end. They recommended that I call Verizon - I am pretty doubtfull if anything good could be come of that, but who knows.
    03-23-09 06:45 PM
    Well, all the IT guys (who didn't actually look at my phone) contend that everything "looks good" from the server end. They recommended that I call Verizon - I am pretty doubtfull if anything good could be come of that, but who knows.
    Are they suggesting you call verizon for an exchange or are they blaming Verizon for your BT issues?
    03-23-09 07:01 PM
    One of our enterprise users is also experiencing this issue. I don't believe that it is policy related, as other users are have identical BT devices and OS versions on thier BB handset.

We have escalated this to our implementation vendor for soem advice, so if I hear back, I'll let you know.
    03-26-09 07:53 PM
    We're seeing the same issue here - with each device that has been upgraded to the 4.5 OS. The bluetooth is disabled after each startup. Seeing this with 8830's and 8330's.
    04-07-09 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD