I have just bought & paired a bluetooth speakerphone for my car. Works beautifully. I turn off the bluetooth when I leave my car, all ok. My question is, when I'm out of my car, should I disconnect bluetooth via options menu on the BB, or is it ok to just leave it connected at all times. I've been leaving it on all the time, and everything seems ok. Wondering if it eats up battery life, or if there are any other issues I should be aware of. Advice from all of you more "seasoned" users would be very much appreciated. Thanks - Mary Grace
    12-17-09 06:18 AM
    Yes it's hard of the battery, if you are having battery life issues I would turn off the bluetooth radio while outside the car. There's a quick and easy way to do that with the new 5.0 OS, click on the upper right hand corner that displays the signal strength and status to access Manage Connections, and then click on BlueTooth to uncheck it and turn off that radio. If your battery seems to be lasting good enough for you, then don't worry about it.
    12-17-09 10:03 AM
    Leaving Bluetooth enabled when it's not in use won't significantly affect your battery life. Be sure you don't leave it in Discoverable mode. If you do, it can be seen by other Bluetooth users within range. That's an unnecessary security vulnerability.

EDIT: pkcable and I cross-posted. Since he has a Storm and I do not, his opinion re the battery life should carry more weight.
    Last edited by JeffH; 12-17-09 at 10:05 AM. Reason: commenting on pkcable's post
    12-17-09 10:04 AM
    I leave my bluetooth enabled always so it automatically pairs with my car, and I have never had a problem with battery life. The difference by turning it off is negligible. The storm only stays visible in discovery mode for a couple of minutes to pair with a device, so that shouldn't be an issue either. You should be just fine leaving your bluetooth always on. The only issue I could see is if you are a serious power user, and you need to squeeze an extra 10 minutes of battery life into your day.
    12-17-09 10:26 AM
    Thank you all for taking time to answer my question, and for the useful information. Have a great holiday everyone!
    Great hat PK!
    12-17-09 01:56 PM
    Thanks PK for taking time to answer my questions, and for the useful information. Have a great holiday! Great hat!
    12-17-09 02:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD