The perception that BlackBerry users are "uncool" is widespread today. And there's good reason for that. But in reality, the BlackBerry is becoming the phone for independent thinkers and non-conformists, which is a whole lot "cooler" than using an iPhone like everyone else.

Posted October 16, 2012 to BlackBerry | 23 Comments .
    During the past few years, I've covered Research In Motion (RIM) and BlackBerry on CIO.com very closely. I am a BlackBerry user, by choice, but I've also been carrying an Android phone for a couple of years�I carry two phones almost everywhere I go, because my BlackBerry alone just doesn't cut it anymore.
    Due to my BlackBerry-focus, I've become a bit of a defender of the (BlackBerry) people. But "BlackBerry fanboi" I am not; I always try to be unbiased in my coverage, and I don't pull punches when punches are what RIM�or any company, for that matter�deserves.

On the flip side, I'm not swayed by popular opinion, and I continue to use a BlackBerry because it is superior to any other device I've ever used for messaging, thanks to its keyboard, inbox features and notification system. (Again, I carry another phone, too, because BlackBerry is also inferior in many ways.) So a story published yesterday on NYTimes.com, entitled, "The BlackBerry as Black Sheep," (or if you check the post's URL, "BlackBerry Becomes a Source of Shame for Users," or the title tag "Quick, Hide the BlackBerry, It�s Too Uncool") is particularly amusing to me.
    From the article:
    "The BlackBerry was once proudly carried by the high-powered and the elite, but those who still hold one today say the device has become a magnet for mockery and derision from those with iPhones and the latest Android phones."
    Truth be told, this is completely accurate. Lots of folks do make fun of other people for using BlackBerrys. That's a fact. Another fact: Anyone who mocks or makes fun of someone based on their smartphone has some serious growing up to do.
    This post really isn't meant to defend RIM or its BlackBerry devices. I'm more than a little frustrated with RIM right now, and I'm sick of waiting for it to release its BlackBerry 10 devices, which have already been delayed more than a reasonable number of times. I'm one of the BlackBerry faithful, and I'm losing faith.
    But feeling shame about using a BlackBerry? Come on. If you don't want to use a BlackBerry, don't. Buy a new phone. Then you and your friends can all have the same phones and make fun of each other for not having the "coolest" cases or accessories.
    One section of the New York Times post is particularly telling:
    "Victoria Gossage, a 28-year-old hedge fund marketer, said she recently attended a work retreat at Piping Rock Club, an upscale country club in Locust Valley, N.Y., and asked the concierge for a phone charger. �First he said, �Sure.� Then he saw my phone and � in this disgusted tone � said, �Oh no, no, not for that.� �
    This passage is telling for two reasons: 1) It associates the My-phone-is-better-than-yours attitude with the type of people who frequent "upscale country clubs," i.e., the status-conscious elite who pay for access to exclusive social clubs and then look down on others who can't afford to or choose not to join. And 2), BlackBerrys have standard charging ports, so they can be powered up using the same chargers as any other devices with standard ports. Are Piping Rock Club members only allowed to charge iPhones, with proprietary ports? That must be a fun place to hang out.
    Back to the headline of this blog post: When is it "cooler" to use a BlackBerry than, say, a shiny new iPhone 5 or trendy Samsung Galaxy S III? Well, when you're secure enough in yourself to choose the device, or devices, that best suits your needs, without concern for what anybody else thinks.
    If that device is a BlackBerry than you're cooler than all your iPhone-toting friends who purchased their devices because Apple marketing convinced them it was cool. In reality, choosing a device based on what everybody is buying is decidedly "uncool."
    Has RIM fallen behind other smartphone makers in some areas? Absolutely. But do people who choose to go against the grain and use the device they want deserve scorn? Absolutely not.
    But haters are going to hate. (I'm looking at you, Brodkin.):

Source:Why Using a BlackBerry Can Still Be 'Cool' (Seriously) | CIO Blogs
    also podcast from PBS themediatwits that features Al Sacco & The Atlantic's Zvika Krieger defending BB at around 22:30 MediaShift . Mediatwits #60: Newsweek Kills Print; Circa Rethinks Mobile News; BlackBerry Fans Persist | PBS
    snickdog likes this.
    10-21-12 11:17 PM
    Because regardless of your social status in the world, we still living in the high school environment. We want to be like, to be popular, we human are an insecure bunch. We are self conscious of how we come across in front of our peers. Any snickering and whispering has us checking and rechecking ourselves what we did wrong. Whether it's the phone we use, the clothing we wear, the cars we drive, the house we own or rent, the parents we have, the spouse or mates we share our live with, our children accomplishment, our job title, our physical appeal. It's all about being well perceive by our social circle. It's all about look at me!! The 3 year old that try to get the attention and approval since way back then.
    houshinto#IM likes this.
    10-22-12 09:46 AM
    Wait, what... This is from CIO Blogs?!? What is that guy... 14? 15?

I believe I was 13 the last time I made a purchasing decision based on whether something was 'cool'. And most other people are the same way. You buy your phone based on its features, usability and user experience. And the iPhone wins big time there.
    10-22-12 10:00 AM

I believe I was 13 the last time I made a purchasing decision based on whether something was 'cool'. And most other people are the same way. You buy your phone based on its features, usability and user experience. And the iPhone wins big time there.
    I buy MY phone based on how it fills MY requirements. And the Blackberry wins big time there! It depends on what you do with your phone and where you use it. But don't imply that the iPhone is universally better for every person. It is doing great, and the UI allowing the technically incompetent (2 Year olds and grannies included) to use a smartphone has served them well, but some people don't want that and need something not iOS.
    10-22-12 10:13 AM
    You buy your phone based on its features, usability and user experience. And the iPhone wins big time there.
    Forgot price... iPhone loses big time there...
    10-22-12 01:56 PM

I do not know the percentages. But I definitely have friends who have bought phones on an impulse, without knowing specifics about features, because their other friends were buying the same phones. Call it cool or not, people are not always rational. If we were advertising would not work.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-22-12 03:26 PM

I wish that were true but I think a majority of people buy certain gadgets for the "coolness factor" nowadays. This could be a false assumption, but I think it's fair to say that most people also don't keep up on current tech news or blogs.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-22-12 03:35 PM
    On top of the efficiency and effectiveness of the phone, I like BlackBerries because people don't have it anymore. I don't know if it's because I'm stubborn, or just have a very secure self esteem. I embrace the culture that looks down on me for using a BlackBerry. I think that itself makes BlackBerry people VERY cool. Let's be honest, like the article says, if you have owned a BlackBerry for the last year, you have gone under ridicule and if you're still sticking with it, you would have to have some pretty healthy self-esteem to go through that. I would say it's pretty cool.
    bigbmc26, MikeyJSydney and sugbo like this.
    10-22-12 03:39 PM
    When I came back to BlackBerry (about 5 months ago) my then girlfriend made so much fun of me for going back to it. I had an Android when we started dating and got to hear "you went back in technology","it doesn't even have a touchscreen","Why couldn't you get something cool? Just an upgrade to your old Android","BlackBerry's are dead". Lets just say this judgement of others was one of the reasons we are no longer together. To each their own and I love the BlackBerry.
    10-22-12 03:44 PM

Good for you Barry! But I don't think you can speak for "most other people" especially when most contradict your statements. Value these days is measured less empirically and moreso by perception, be it yours or others. Funny thing is that perception can be easily manipulated through clever marketing, which some companies really excel at.

Bandwagoners
    Keeping up with the Jones...
    Hipsters

All examples of the being "cool" (not inferior) philosophy. So yeah, glad you've "grown up" but sadly a lot of society has yet to.

Good article all the same OP!
    10-22-12 03:52 PM
    I buy MY phone based on how it fills MY requirements. And the Blackberry wins big time there! It depends on what you do with your phone and where you use it. But don't imply that the iPhone is universally better for every person. It is doing great, and the UI allowing the technically incompetent (2 Year olds and grannies included) to use a smartphone has served them well, but some people don't want that and need something not iOS.
    this so much! My mom was ready to upgrade from her flip phone to a smartphone and I suggested the iPhone. Its simple, not a bunch of menus, and has one button. She's doing great with it. I didnt even consider Android or Blackberry because they have too many options and settings (things that I LOVE).

I still don't understand how a phone that practically everyone has or can easily get is considered cool. But whatever.
    10-22-12 04:09 PM
    When I came back to BlackBerry (about 5 months ago) my then girlfriend made so much fun of me for going back to it. I had an Android when we started dating and got to hear "you went back in technology","it doesn't even have a touchscreen","Why couldn't you get something cool? Just an upgrade to your old Android","BlackBerry's are dead". Lets just say this judgement of others was one of the reasons we are no longer together. To each their own and I love the BlackBerry.
    good for you, no one likes a hater

Sent from my BOLD or maybe my soon to be BB10 PlayBook
    10-22-12 04:21 PM
    The difference between you and Al is that he isn't hiding behind an orange golf ball when he blogs.
    10-22-12 11:32 PM
    Oh my. Wow.
    10-22-12 11:43 PM
    Fine. Better for the vast majority, then.

And yes, one of the of the best things about the iPhone is how the user experience scales. It's intuitive enough, so that it can be used even by people who dont have a lot of experience with technology, as you pointed out, but is also attractive to power users who want pretty obscure functions like FTP or SSH...
    10-22-12 11:44 PM
    Forgot price... iPhone loses big time there...
    Not really. It's priced in the same neighborhood as other premium phones: Galaxy S3/Note2 or HTC One X and the Lumia series when they came out.

Now can you get a cheaper cellphone? No doubt. But you don't compare the price of a Mercedes with how much a Kia costs. You compare the Mercedes with other cars in the same segment: BMW, Audi or Cadillac.
    10-22-12 11:49 PM
    On top of the efficiency and effectiveness of the phone, I like BlackBerries because people don't have it anymore. I don't know if it's because I'm stubborn, or just have a very secure self esteem. I embrace the culture that looks down on me for using a BlackBerry. I think that itself makes BlackBerry people VERY cool. Let's be honest, like the article says, if you have owned a BlackBerry for the last year, you have gone under ridicule and if you're still sticking with it, you would have to have some pretty healthy self-esteem to go through that. I would say it's pretty cool.
    This..i like!!! .. Here in Australia..BlackBerry's are non-existant (close to anyway) but i think its kinda cool that i own a smartphone that not many other people use.. i quite like that i can turn on the wifi from the home screen..not have to swipe there and here..i like that i can lock the screen by either the lock button or simply pressing a on the keyboard..i like that i can customise my sound profiles..sure it would be nice to have skype and 3D maps (data costs would skyrocket though if not within wifi) but not essential for ME..so yea i guess BlackBerry is kinda perfect..no it IS perfect for ME..and i dont give a rats a** what anyone else thinks of me when i pull out and slide my awesome torch..

ps those carriers are making a hella lot of cash from iphones and androids with the data charges (literally everyone that has switched to iphone from my friends have had at least one bill worth in to the hundreds (so just watch your usage iphoners and droid peeps) - gotta love the classic BlackBerry data compression
    sugbo likes this.
    10-23-12 03:11 AM