I'm a newbie owner of a 7290. I don't get on the Internet, check emails or do anything except make rare phone calls (heresy!). What I wanted was a phone with a few games, eBook capable, and the ability to use a fairly simple document editor with basic italics, bold, underline, justification, size, etc. (just like this posting editor) when I travel several times a year. IOW a tiny computer that also serves as a phone. (Blasphemy!)

First problem - I've tried installing several times, uninstalled, reinstalled, clean installed, etc. (I'm a 25+ yr experienced computer user) the operating and desktop software manager. It does fine for backup/restore, application loader, sync, but the Media Manager can't find the phone. I followed the directions from RIM exactly while on the phone with them to do the installation. Why does the software find the phone for the other utilities but not for Media Manger? What do I need to do to be able to see and transfer things to the phone in file format? The Desktop Manager is the same way, it won't find the phone.

Second problem - I don't want to pay $99.99 for eDesk and all it's bells and whistles when all I want is a simple (preferably free) basic editor. Any suggestions on what and where to find one?

Thanks,
    drkenrich
    12-16-07 05:23 PM
    Well, with as much computer experience as you have, I would think that the name 'Roxio' would have tipped you off to that program's integrity

All kidding aside, I had the same problem. For me, however, it would do a RunDLL error every time I clicked on 'options' menu. Since the device can be set as mass storage, with a flash card installed, I don't really need that software anyway. Just drag and drop.
    12-16-07 05:31 PM
    May i ask drkenrich,did you download the newest desktop manager software?,if you did,the reason the DMS may not be able to reconize your blackberry is because your model is a older model that does not have any multimedia funtions(music player,video player,and with some models,a camera)MM functions have arrived for the blackberry with the 88xx series,83xx series,and the 81xx series,so untill you upgrade you will not be able to use the roxio media manager.
    12-16-07 05:55 PM
    Well, with as much computer experience as you have, I would think that the name 'Roxio' would have tipped you off to that program's integrity
    Thanks for the laugh, first thing in the morning.
    I needed that (already)
    12-17-07 07:48 AM
    You cant get Media on a 7290! You must upgrade!
    12-17-07 07:51 AM
    Thanks to Berry White and Castlerock611 for letting me know a color screen doesn't mean media capability. If the 7290 doesn't have it, I can see why it doesn't work. Can I upgrade this unit or do I have to go to a new model phone?

For Strontium:

All kidding aside, I had the same problem. For me, however, it would do a RunDLL error every time I clicked on 'options' menu. Since the device can be set as mass storage, with a flash card installed, I don't really need that software anyway. Just drag and drop.
    Even though I have the proper drivers installed and the computer makes that nice "humming" sound when the BlackBerry is plugged in or unplugged, I can't seem to find it as a device. The Device Manager does show it is properly installed. How do I set it up to see it? What I need to do is be able to transfer documents and edit address data.

BTW, I've used both the newest Desktop Manager 4.3 and the older 4.2 with the same results.

LAST STEP - does anyone know of a simple, free text editor I can use on this unit and where to get it?

Thanks to all.

Dr. Ken Rich
    12-17-07 03:28 PM
    Thanks to Berry White and Castlerock611 for letting me know a color screen doesn't mean media capability. If the 7290 doesn't have it, I can see why it doesn't work. Can I upgrade this unit or do I have to go to a new model phone?

For Strontium:

Even though I have the proper drivers installed and the computer makes that nice "humming" sound when the BlackBerry is plugged in or unplugged, I can't seem to find it as a device. The Device Manager does show it is properly installed. How do I set it up to see it? What I need to do is be able to transfer documents and edit address data.

BTW, I've used both the newest Desktop Manager 4.3 and the older 4.2 with the same results.

LAST STEP - does anyone know of a simple, free text editor I can use on this unit and where to get it?

Thanks to all.

Dr. Ken Rich
    Just a quick question. How are you connecting, to the PC? Does it use a serial cable or USB? There is an option, in Desktop Manager to tell it what kind of port to use to look for the phone.

I would imagine that the phone itself has syncing capability, right? If so, you should at least be able to have it show as 'connected' through Desktop Manager, I would think.

I just looked the phone up and it doesn't say anything about syncing with PC, but that it uses USB cable for something.

Okay, a quick google on the subject says it can be synced with Outlook. So, you might need to downgrade the software version of DTM to 4.0.

Not sure.
    12-17-07 04:49 PM
    I dont know how long u have had your 7290
    12-17-07 06:50 PM
    for media you need to get a newer 8xxx series BB.
    12-17-07 06:53 PM
    Here's the long and the short of it:

Media capable devices are the 8xxx series. Any 7xxx devices will not be recognized by media manager. You cannot load files on to the 7xxx devices.

You're only option is to upgrade to the 8xxx series...i suggest the 81xx, 83xx or 88xx for the media card expanability. (the 87xx doesn't have that option)
    12-17-07 06:54 PM
    Here's the long and the short of it:

Media capable devices are the 8xxx series. Any 7xxx devices will not be recognized by media manager. You cannot load files on to the 7xxx devices.

You're only option is to upgrade to the 8xxx series...i suggest the 81xx, 83xx or 88xx for the media card expanability. (the 87xx doesn't have that option)
    Was afraid of that
    12-17-07 07:55 PM
    Thanks for all the information. I decided to follow your suggestions and upgrade.

First I sat down and thought out what I really needed and wanted to do with the unit. That's to have phone capability, QWERTY and large screen, text editing capability, e-mail and some Internet (not critical). Everything else is extra. Then I checked prices and comparable models. My final selection was an AT&T 8525. I've purchased but not received it yet. I look forward to using it.

Thanks,
    Dr. Ken Rich
    12-31-07 01:53 PM
    after all that you bought a TyTn?!?!?

BAH!

-db

you'll be back...mark my words...have fun with winmo...
    12-31-07 02:41 PM
    Hopefully you'll enjoy your new Blackberry.
    12-31-07 02:47 PM
    If the media manager will not see the Blackberry 7290 phone and people are posting that you have to upgrade to the 81xxx series for media, then why are there posts for wallpaper for the 7290 that you can download for your 7290 phone?
    How do you install this wallpaper that is supposed to work for your 7290 to your 7290??
    03-08-08 10:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD