At one point I seem to remember Mr. Chen was interviewed about the possibility of a Blandroid device. His answer was that BB would NOT release a Blandroid until it was at least as secure as BBOS and BB10.

My question: was the PRIV, or now, as secure as BB0S or BB10? Or is Blandroid more secure, perhaps? Or, in reality less secure?

To clear, this question is not to stir the waters.
    09-25-16 02:18 AM
    There is no such OS as 'Blandroid' thanks for trying though.

FWIW, BlackBerry offers little if, any, a reason to choose their Android offering over a more established brand - Samsung.

Posted via Nexus 6p
    Last edited by cribble2k; 09-25-16 at 03:01 AM.
    shaleem likes this.
    09-25-16 02:40 AM
    LOL
    09-25-16 03:17 AM
    Define secure.
    PantherBlitz, shaleem and Carjackd like this.
    09-25-16 05:46 AM
    Even if you ask him what security is, I doubt if he can answer it correctly. You need to define what security is. If you think that security is about phone that will automatically restrict you when you are trying to use some feature of apps on your phone, then blackberry phone is for you.
    09-25-16 06:30 AM
    The jury's out on BBOS.

1) BBOS has less functionality (smaller attack surface) and less focus by hackers.
    2) BBOS already has a number of well-known security exploits which have never been addressed
    3) BBOS hasn't been patched by BlackBerry for several years (and never will be). I know that BBOS phones still use SSL 3.0, which is a huge security risk. They also will not support any newer security standards, so in terms of security you are really relying on more and more of the existing functionality getting crippled rather than enhanced.

Is it more secure than BB10? no it's not, but for similar reasons to BBOS ... i.e. BB10 doesn't expose the same level of functionality as Android does, and it will start falling behind in terms of security standards within the next couple of years.
    09-25-16 06:33 AM
    BlackBerry has stated that their hardened Nougat will achieve security parity with BB10.

But as Usman says, define security.
    09-25-16 06:34 AM
    For me the most secure phone wud b a nokia 1100 with a prepaid sim, having us$ 1 call time.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    09-25-16 06:38 AM
    BlackBerry has stated that their hardened Nougat will achieve security parity with BB10.

Was that an official company announcement or just another of Confucius Chen's random musings?
    09-25-16 06:44 AM
    With a title like that, this point is pure irony.
    09-25-16 07:19 AM
    For me the most secure phone wud b a nokia 1100 with a prepaid sim, having us$ 1 call time.

BBurner...? :-)

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    09-25-16 03:34 PM

Who wants to eat hardened Nougat...? ;-@

And:
    Does the data "leaked" by using Google applications count as "insecure"? If that's the case or assumption, Android can never win. No matter how long that nougat lies and dries in the sun...

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    David Tyler and Ursus Rufus like this.
    09-25-16 03:37 PM

And:
    Does the data "leaked" by using Google applications count as "insecure"? If that's the case or assumption, Android can never win. No matter how long that nougat lies and dries in the sun...

Well put.
    09-25-16 09:21 PM

And:

I believe it will take Google some time and appropriate actions to convince ppl about its ToS and refusal to create a backdoor on Android, if that is actually the case, where the Nexus phones are concerned.
    Apple proved its mettle with the Syed Farook case.
    Bb hardened Android will get acceptance only coz bb has a higher "security rating" in the minds of the veteran bb users.
    The common user will continue to look at Android/ Google with suspicious for some time.
    Only after Google has proven itself in the sense of "not giving in to creating a backdoor" will the ppl start trusting it. Even then they will continue to refer to targeted ads as data theft.
    Who knows by that time a new ecosystem my hav emerged and wud hav rendered all this useless.
    I just so hope for Sailfish / turing, fingers crossed.

Last edited by blackmass; 09-26-16 at 05:50 AM.
    09-26-16 05:39 AM
    I believe it will take Google some time and appropriate actions to convince ppl about its ToS and refusal to create a backdoor on Android, if that is actually the case, where the Nexus phones are concerned.
    Bb hardened Android will get acceptance only coz bb has a higher "security rating" in the minds of the veteran bb users.
    The common user will continue to look at Android/ Google with suspicious for some time.
    Only after Google has proven itself in the sense of "not giving in to creating a backdoor" will the ppl start trusting it. Even then they will continue to refer to targeted ads as data theft.
    Who knows by that time a new ecosystem my hav emerged and wud hav rendered all this useless.

I doubt BlackBerry is worried about a few Tin Foil nut jobs... just not enough of them to really worry about.

The common user is already looking at either Android or iOS... all BlackBerry has to do is show that their Android solution is better than KNOX (for those not so common enterprise users). As BlackBerry is really only going after enterprise users looking for a higher level of security than stock Android or what iOS offers.

Sailfish/Turing, while the Turing Phone Cadenza sounds like a smartphone "wet dream"... so far Sailfish and Turing especially are more about announcements and promises and less about delivery of a finished product. They are still a "start-up" in a market that has pretty much determined there is room for only two mobile OS. Sailfish's only hope is if Google is really slapped on the wrist and force to open Android by the EU and other regulatory agencies..

But while I would not be surprised by fines and requirements being issued... I would be surprised if Google doesn't find a "legal" way to continue to "secure" their platform and hinder Tizen and Sailfish from "borrowing" portions of their mature platform (apps).
    09-26-16 07:56 AM

The common user is already looking at either Android or iOS... all BlackBerry has to do is show that their Android solution is better than KNOX (for those not so common enterprise users). As BlackBerry is really only going after enterprise users looking for a higher level of security than stock Android or what iOS offers.

Sailfish/Turing, while the Turing Phone Cadenza sounds like a smartphone "wet dream"... so far Sailfish and Turing especially are more about announcements and promises and less about delivery of a finished product. They are still a "start-up" in a market that has pretty much determined there is room for only two mobile OS. Sailfish's only hope is if Google is really slapped on the wrist and force to open Android by the EU and other regulatory agencies..

But while I would not be surprised by fines and requirements being issued... I would be surprised if Google doesn't find a "legal" way to continue to "secure" their platform and hinder Tizen and Sailfish from "borrowing" portions of their mature platform (apps).
    This "opening up" of Android is what i am hopeful on. Let them NOT fine Google but OPEN Android. Just imagine the possibilities of a truly open Android. Why, even bb can come up with a passport 2 with an up to date ART.

EDIT - i know this brings up the question of Android development.
    Something i feel like chucking all this and moving to hp Elite x3.

Last edited by blackmass; 09-26-16 at 09:08 AM.
    09-26-16 08:58 AM
    Even if you ask him what security is, I doubt if he can answer it correctly. You need to define what security is. If you think that security is about phone that will automatically restrict you when you are trying to use some feature of apps on your phone, then blackberry phone is for you.
    Well, and I am not an expert, my areas of concern/interest for security would be;

1. Issues based on the communication networks. For example, I have heard GSM is open to threats due to the algorithms involved. And I would assume this extends to wifi and if there is some form of encryption to protect or limit damage.

2. Further to above SMS and MMS.

3. OS issues.

4. Browser, apps and malware . . . . usual suspects in trojans, tricked to download an interesting app, etc. Or spyware

Point #4 is obviously more, although not 100%, dependent upon the user. For example if it is too good to be free, then likely there is an issue. Nonetheless, once in the phone, what is the extent of damage that can be done in BB10 versus Blandroid?

Points 1 through 3, I assume are more hardware, or a combination of hardware and software in tandem. Again, I under the impression the OS is chip based in BB and not able to change, alter or load new code. However, I am not an expert and how does it compare?

Is one OS more susceptible than the other to the above threats. Out of the box . . . Layers of solutions, protection . . .?
    09-26-16 09:25 AM

Thank you.

Is this perception now, or indeed was it ever, valid? Removing perception, is the stock Android on Nexus or Blandroid now hardened, safe or secure as BB. Or really, it was only perception and the two OS' were each a leaky boat in their own ways?
    09-26-16 09:30 AM
    This "opening up" of Android is what i am hopeful on. Let them NOT fine Google but OPEN Android. Just imagine the possibilities of a truly open Android. Why, even bb can come up with a passport 2 with an up to date ART.

EDIT - i know this brings up the question of Android development.
    Something i feel like chucking all this and moving to hp Elite x3.

Much of Android is still open and could be used. BlackBerry could already update their ART if they chose to (and had anyone left to do it). But that would cost BlackBerry too much in development cost to recode and remap BB10 to do this.... it isn't just some minor "plug-in" to BB10.

The real issue isn't Android, but the Google Services that open the user experience up to many of the best apps. Not because Google prevents developers from building "generic" Android or Linux Apps... but because Google makes their Services a sort of protection for those developers. Open, free and unsecured....are the last things that most developers really want in today's market. I doubt anyone is going to force Google to open their Services and the Google Play Store.... Developers are free to do what they want, they are the ones that don't want to support minor forked OS... BB10, Kindle OS, Amazon App Store, Tizen, Sailfish.... or a totally different OS like Windows.
    09-26-16 09:35 AM
    Well, and I am not an expert, my areas of concern/interest for security would be;

1. Issues based on the communication networks. For example, I have heard GSM is open to threats due to the algorithms involved. And I would assume this extends to wifi and if there is some form of encryption to protect or limit damage.

2. Further to above SMS and MMS.

3. OS issues.

4. Browser, apps and malware . . . . usual suspects in trojans, tricked to download an interesting app, etc. Or spyware

Point #4 is obviously more, although not 100%, dependent upon the user. For example if it is too good to be free, then likely there is an issue. Nonetheless, once in the phone, what is the extent of damage that can be done in BB10 versus Blandroid?

Points 1 through 3, I assume are more hardware, or a combination of hardware and software in tandem. Again, I under the impression the OS is chip based in BB and not able to change, alter or load new code. However, I am not an expert and how does it compare?

Is one OS more susceptible than the other to the above threats. Out of the box . . . Layers of solutions, protection . . .?
    Your 1 and 2 concerns are the same for all OSs. your voice/SMS/MMS/any kind of internet traffic go through the same cables/air/satelites as any other OS. There is nothing you can do about it.

about 3 and 4 it's a little bit tricky. Android may have more exploits, but most would require you to install apps from other sources than Google Play store. Even in the rare case some exploit app does get into google play store, it is usually for a very short time and usually Google removes them fast and change their automated verification process to detect such apps in the future.
    09-26-16 09:42 AM
    Your 1 and 2 concerns are the same for all OSs. your voice/SMS/MMS/any kind of internet traffic go through the same cables/air/satelites as any other OS. There is nothing you can do about it.

about 3 and 4 it's a little bit tricky. Android may have more exploits, but most would require you to install apps from other sources than Google Play store. Even in the rare case some exploit app does get into google play store, it is usually for a very short time and usually Google removes them fast and change their automated verification process to detect such apps in the future.
    Bingo!

The other hurdle is OS updates. So far only iOS has this nailed. The others (Android, BB10 & Windows) are at the mercy of the carriers and/or manufacturers. Security (vulnerability patching) can't improve from those vectors until things change.
    09-26-16 09:52 AM

And the odds of #3 and #4 being in apps that aren't labeled something like "Candy Crusher Free for Telegram Guide" from some Chinese dev?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-26-16 09:54 AM
    Thank you.

Is this perception now, or indeed was it ever, valid? Removing perception, is the stock Android on Nexus or Blandroid now hardened, safe or secure as BB. Or really, it was only perception and the two OS' were each a leaky boat in their own ways?
    Perception, as v know is as tricky a word as statistics is a subject.

Apple just announced a security flaw in iOS 10. Prior to this some security experts were of the opinion that iPhone 6 plus was the most secure phone.
    So security can b relative to time.
    As u point out in 1 & 2, the moment v use a connection v r being exposed to a threat. A rational analysis wud first demand a qualitative approach. This in terms that a "shady" / important person is at a higher risk of that threat being exploited than a "non-shady" person is.
    About the validity of the Nexus / iOs being unsecured. Even though i am no security expert, i feel any Os matures with time. So such feelings as Android 'steeling data' might hav been valid to some extent when it was running G / H / I, now, i hav read, with N it is said to b as secure as Bb10 (on bb Android N). Still, as i hav posted above it may take some more, maybe O - P - Q, for this to fully sink in.
    About Nexus devices / bb Android being secure, the ceo of this new Canadian security company Copperhead, says that the Nexus r as secure as the Priv. He also sells the Copperhead Os that can b installed on a Nexus, and security levels can b 'adjusted' using an onscreen slider switch. I assume that with security settings at full level, the phone wud b as useful as a nokia 1100.

https://copperhead.co/android/

Last edited by blackmass; 09-26-16 at 10:38 AM.
    09-26-16 10:27 AM
    Well, i just want the updated ART for the apps. Jolla can develop their own mobile services with funding from Huawei.

09-26-16 10:45 AM
    Haha, your posts are good-natured. I hope that the WhatsApp servers will allow you to post after Dec. 31 ..
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    09-26-16 10:56 AM
58 123