Maybe Blackberry is on schedule to release the best hardware and software. What does it take to develop hardware and software? How would a rushed device be received by the consumer? I would trust the effort of the Blackberry employees.
    01-30-13 11:57 AM
    If Verizon indeed is the exclusive carrier for the white z10, how the **** do you give them an exclusive on it and not get them to release it sooner?

They're not exclusive, but being the biggest its is possible in negotiations VZW could strongarm them to making BlackBerry hold the US release until VZW finds themselves good and ready... Do it this way, or we won't carry your phone kinda thing
    ubizmo likes this.
    01-30-13 11:58 AM
    Bell and Telus Mobility = Verizon and AT&T
    Rogers Wireless = T-Mo and Metro
    Careful with that.

Rogers' 3G/HSPA+ frequencies don't match up with T-Mobile's. Plus with LTE, there's another factor to look at: bandwidth blocks. So Even though AT&T and Verizon have the same bands for LTE right now (700 MHz), phones aren't interoperable because they are in different blocks of the 700 MHz spectrum.
    01-30-13 12:01 PM
    T-Mobile just announced the Z10 pre-order page on FB.
    I cant find it on tmo's direct site.
    Ive checked all morning. Can you post a direct link? Thank You
    01-30-13 12:07 PM
    RIM worked so hard to build a better relationship with Developers. I guess an equal amount of effort should have been put towards the US carriers. I think the US carriers only want to sell iphones and Androids and the **** with everything else. Almost a conspiracy theory going on against Blackberry. An uphill battle just got steeper and tougher.
    01-30-13 12:09 PM
    If I remember correctly he did say during the presentation that carrier testing was still going on in the US which kind of explains the delayed availability...but it also suggest to me as others have said is code for carriers finding ways to nickel and dime for every feature they can, since it was stated handset and plan pricing will be carrier specific.
    01-30-13 12:13 PM
    U.S. wireless carriers AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile will be announcing pre-registration and price plans today. The white version of the Z10 will be exclusive to Verizon and will cost $199 with a two-year contract. AT&T says it will announce pricing and availability in the coming weeks.
    Flatman likes this.
    01-30-13 12:15 PM
    Actually I would be more suspicious if ONE carrier got it and not the others. The fact that none of them did tells me it was a red tape issue by the U.S.
    Or it could be totally RIM's doing. I dont see how you can be so certain its some political red tape regulations with no inside knowledge.

Been on iphone for the past year - was really hoping to get a Z10 and get off the company plan. Another 2 months with this thing?

Also - bought RIM stock at $13 something a while back. Saw it peak the other day at $17. On launch day of their game changing event? Flat at $14. Wonderful.
    01-30-13 12:17 PM
    Each carrier has it's own carrier lab entry period where the carrier tests the device on its own network and sends bugs back to RIM to fix. Some are release gating, some are not. There is no way to control this process other than to get it into the carriers for testing as soon as possible as it typically takes 4-8 weeks for the phone to be certified after that point.
    01-30-13 12:21 PM
    Also - bought RIM stock at $13 something a while back. Saw it peak the other day at $17. On launch day of their game changing event? Flat at $14. Wonderful.
    I don't think that is a great shock, the price has been creeping up prior to launch so any gains today were offset by the slackness of the american carriers and subsequent movement will not really be significant until we see the sales figures.
    01-30-13 12:22 PM
    How is this different from any other phone launch with the exception of Apple? Everyone releases last in the US due to extensive carrier testing, this has always been the case!
    01-30-13 12:23 PM
    They're not exclusive, but being the biggest its is possible in negotiations VZW could strongarm them to making BlackBerry hold the US release until VZW finds themselves good and ready... Do it this way, or we won't carry your phone kinda thing
    This is the most plausible theory I've heard so far. The remaining question is: Why would VZW force the wait? Why aren't they good and ready right now?
    01-30-13 12:29 PM
    Verizon as the largest network, can get an exclusive arraignment to have it first. Sort of how ATT had an exclusive on iPhone for a long time...
    I can go test drive the Z10 in the Verizon store whenever they get it... and pretend I'm going to buy it from them.
    01-30-13 12:34 PM
    (I'm replying to the second part, since you already posted that VZN is in fact the exclusive carrier for the white z10 )

RIM's position with the carriers must be reaaally bad then if it went the way you are suggesting it could have. A strongly positioned company would have said "no, thanks" and taken the exclusive to another carrier. I know T-Mobile and Sprint aren't doing as well and theoretically could have benefited from the exclusive, even they weren't approached?
    01-30-13 12:35 PM
    I cant find it on tmo's direct site.
    Ive checked all morning. Can you post a direct link? Thank You
    BlackBerry 10 Z | New BlackBerry 10 Phone | T-Mobile
    01-30-13 12:36 PM
    I fired off an email (professional but to the point) to Verizon to let them know my displeasure and asked for an explanation. It won't do any good of course but I want them to know I'm not happy about waiting. Maybe all BB fans should do the same just to get their attention.
    01-30-13 12:36 PM
    If i knew who to email and had a well written out template, i would definitely do this. As of right now, I'm so annoyed that anything i write would probably make no sense.
    01-30-13 12:45 PM
    Be very careful buying devices and trying to use them on other carriers. There are going to be 5 variants from what I have been told, various flavors of LTE, but only one that I would feel is really an open markets device and it does not have LTE. I don't have the exact model number of the that one, but will post it when available.
    01-30-13 12:47 PM
    Be very careful buying devices and trying to use them on other carriers. There are going to be 5 variants from what I have been told, various flavors of LTE, but only one that I would feel is really an open markets device and it does not have LTE. I don't have the exact model number of the that one, but will post it when available.
    Given that we know the freqs of the LTE device that will ship in the UK, it does look like the LTE model in Canada will be suitable for the gsm carriers in the US too.
    01-30-13 12:50 PM
    It mostly is. I'll ask you the same question I asked howarmat: What beyond everything they could do, are you expecting them to do after being told no? Invade the USA and hold the carrier CEO's hostage?? Do you seriously think RIM doesn't want the business? gawd.
    Offer 1 of them an exclusive. Offer one of them $10-20-30 more in subsidies, offset by the number of customers they pick up. Just do something. Blaming the carriers alone isn't going to cut it. If they did offer Verizon the white phone exclusively, maybe they should have negotiated an earlier release date too. Maybe they tried and it didn't work, but RIMM seems content to have us wait. Maybe it wasn't important to them? As usual, I think they miscalculated there. RIM picked up the pace on many aspects, but dealing with Verizon and AT&T doesn't seem to be one of them.

As we say down here in the states - Just get it done.
    01-30-13 01:07 PM
    I'm going to guess that inventory isn't the issue at all.

And for those fretting over the stock, at $.95 drop for RIMM (now BB) shouldn't bother anyone that has watched either the volatility of the tech market or RIMM specifically.
    Attached Thumbnails Blame Verizon / ATT, not Blackberry-tapaupload0.jpg  
    01-30-13 01:10 PM
    I shall blame VIVO for not even knowing about a new BlackBerry device. Because I have it in good authority that RIM, I mean, BlackBerry was aware of the news.
    01-30-13 01:12 PM
    on the bright side the rest of the world gets to debug BB10, so you eliminate that level of aggravation for the US...
    Toodeurep likes this.
    01-30-13 01:18 PM
    Perhaps BBRY had their own delay in delivering BB10 phones to US carriers. If, as someone suggested, US carriers have notoriously long testing periods of 4-8 weeks might this not indicate the fault laying with BB seeing as carriers in other countries have approved the device?

This delayed release will have a negative effect on stock price as US market share will continue to erode.

Talk about taking the wind out of your sails (sales?)!

BTW, my thread about contacting Verizon customer service was moved over to the carrier section yesterday. It elicited "face palm" antics from some.
    01-30-13 01:49 PM
    (I'm replying to the second part, since you already posted that VZN is in fact the exclusive carrier for the white z10 )

RIM's position with the carriers must be reaaally bad then if it went the way you are suggesting it could have. A strongly positioned company would have said "no, thanks" and taken the exclusive to another carrier. I know T-Mobile and Sprint aren't doing as well and theoretically could have benefited from the exclusive, even they weren't approached?

Pure speculation on my part, if that. A mighty IF. That's all. Take it with a grain of salt
    01-30-13 01:58 PM
130 ... 23456