There's another closed thread about finding a Torch and if it's been blacklisted? Does at&t do this? My son lost a brand new iPhone 3GS awhile back and at&t told me to go pound sand. I asked them repeatedly if they could disable the phone, they said not possible.

So what's this I'm hearing about blacklisting a Blackberry? Is this real?
    12-25-10 11:32 PM
    Well BB devices have a unique PIN number that can't be changed (well it could but you'd have to seriously hack the thing to do it). To my knowledge, they can blacklist the PIN to prevent you from getting BB services like push email and BBM on it.
    12-25-10 11:36 PM
    blacklisting IMEI's is something that is usually done in europe, by european carriers. american carriers dont go so far as blacklisting. however, RIM does blacklist Blackberry PIN's. the phone can still be used for calls and SMS, but a BB data plan cannot be used on the stolen phone.

the blacklisting of a phones IMEI would make the phone unable to authenticate on the network. the people who try to use it, wont be able to. your best bet is to make a police report that the phone was stolen, report it to at&t and hope maybe if someone starts to use it on their account, at&t will notify them they know its lost/stolen and will give them a hard time.
    12-25-10 11:49 PM
    blacklisting IMEI's is something that is usually done in europe, by european carriers. american carriers dont go so far as blacklisting. however, RIM does blacklist Blackberry PIN's. the phone can still be used for calls and SMS, but a BB data plan cannot be used on the stolen phone.

the blacklisting of a phones IMEI would make the phone unable to authenticate on the network. the people who try to use it, wont be able to. your best bet is to make a police report that the phone was stolen, report it to at&t and hope maybe if someone starts to use it on their account, at&t will notify them they know its lost/stolen and will give them a hard time.
    Thanks. at&t would not do anything about the lost iPhone. It sucks to lose a phone, but it makes it worse when at&t refused to lift a finger to help. It would be so easy for them to track if a lost/stolen phone gets turned on by using IMEI. I understand why people don't turn in lost phones now. There's no consequence of using it. Other than your conscience.
    12-26-10 12:16 AM
    Totally agree and it sucks even more these days when phones cost tons of money too. Basically an investment thrown out the window.

If I found a phone... I MIGHT play with it... That I could be guilty of but I would DEFINITELY turn it in.

The thought losing my phone and having to get another for hundreds of $$$ is a terrible feeling.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-10 01:55 AM
    you will see alot of people in europe on ebay selling blacklisted phones to overseas customers since they will work here and not there anymore. they arent necessarily stolen anymore, but still shady.
    12-26-10 01:56 AM
    Blacklisting happens if your device is lost, stolen or the bill isn't paid/service is terminated and the PIN was never released.

12-26-10 01:35 PM
    Blacklisting happens if your device is lost, stolen or the bill isn't paid/service is terminated and the PIN was never released.

Not with AT&T which is what the OP asked about.
    12-26-10 01:38 PM
    Well, haven't heard of a way to brick the iphone if lost/stolen. Maybe go to apple?

12-26-10 01:40 PM
    After reading this thread and since I am in the market in buying a Torch on Ebay or Craigslist, I thought I give AT&T a call. They told me to get the IMEI number, call them before buying and they would let me know if it is cleared. I did ask if it was reported stolen or lost will it work? They said no.

12-26-10 07:15 PM
    I did ask if it was reported stolen or lost will it work? They said no.
    the phone may work as they dont get blacklisted, but the PIN probably wont since RIM does blacklist them on lost/stolen phones.
    12-27-10 02:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD