Status Symbol? Lets see? I had a guy come into one of my locations today. He was driving a newish Mustang (2006 maybe?) Came in with a Nextel BB 7510. Asks a sales rep if we rolad for Boost Mobile. No Data Plan or anything through Boost. Just pay as you go. But then upgraded to a plan of $60.00 a month for 600 minutes.

So in this instance? Yes, its a Status Symbol. Now most days, I see the Nextel 7100. And this is the Business/Contractor's phone. Email with direct connect. On the Sprint and VZW side of things, I see more everyday users with the Pearl and now the Curve. They are getting younger and younger as well. Parents bringing their kids in for a BB. With this group? The questions I get are the same: Ringtones, YouTube, Pics and Myspace. I dont think that 1 of these younger customers have every read their manual.

So in conclusion? Yes, BBs have become a status symbol. Remember the pics of Paris Hilton and her Berry, or John Mayer? Im sure all Paris is worried about is when someone SMS's her about where to meet and making sure the Night Vision gets her good side (sheesh, inside voice...use the inside voice).

<jumping off my soapbox>
    06-28-08 03:36 PM
    Status symbol? Haha I've seen this 10 year old looking girl with a pearl at six flags the other day.
    Yeah, but maybe it's a status symbol to be able to get your 10 year old girl a Pearl. ("oh, yes, we need to get Joey a Bold for Christmas this year, before he goes back to prep school").
    06-28-08 04:10 PM
    Mine was a present from my wife. I had no idea how much I could do with a BB, but my 14 Y/O son knew right away what I had. He keeps trying to borrow it - no way! He's the kid who washed his IPod Shuffle, lol.

Seriously, more people using means more software more hardware - more options for all of us much faster. Not that faster is a great thing with contracts forcing us to sometimes pay full price for the newest..

NorthFace, the most functional, best looking, highest priced cold weather clothes and outer wear. Very important for a Californian living in Colorado.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 06-28-08 at 07:19 PM.
    06-28-08 07:13 PM
    I have a Blackberry because it works for me personally and in my business. I really don't care about the so called status symbol.
    06-28-08 08:35 PM
    I have a Blackberry because it works for me personally and in my business. I really don't care about the so called status symbol.
    Pre-bloody-cisely! Unless you've got a diamond encrusted cell made of titanium gold alloy or something bizarre like that then STFU and keep using your phone for what is was made for. ;-)
    06-28-08 08:38 PM
    whatever phone someone uses is, to them, the best device ever made
    blackberry is a practicallity status symbol
    when i see someone with a blackberry i think
    "hey this person could have bought a more expensive or more flashy phone but they obviously wanted something that works flawlessly every single time"
    06-28-08 09:08 PM
    I'll be honest. Being in the fashion industry, I initially got my BB because I didn't want to be the only person at a shoot or somewhere with a flip phone. And I had a few clients laugh at me when I was taking down numbers into a regular phone! lol.. So YES I did get it because they were "IN" but once I actually got it, I realized how GREAT they were and now I'm completely enamored and will never use another kind of phone.
    06-29-08 02:57 AM
    hhhhhaahahaha... thought you knew!!

..... and stuff!
    Now I know! And stuff!!

Too many miller lites..

06-29-08 03:21 AM
    the only phones I would consider to be status symbols would be ones that are over $1000 like Nokia 8800's, or Vertu's that start at around $4000
    06-29-08 05:06 AM
    Yes, they used to be very much a business product. Now even the teenagers I teach (Senior High School) think they are sexy. Especially the Pearl. Gary

06-29-08 06:27 AM
    Status symbol! Yeah, sure only when I am on vacation in Portugal...... BB are not common there at all even though 3 out of 5 have a cell phone. If i am texting away i get looks more like I'm from outher space or something.
    06-29-08 12:56 PM
    I want to revise my position on this issue. After reading many postings here indicating people don't get data plans with their BB I guess the bloody things are still a huge status symbol.

How can people have a BB without a data plan?
    06-29-08 03:12 PM
    I want to revise my position on this issue. After reading many postings here indicating people don't get data plans with their BB I guess the bloody things are still a huge status symbol.

Lol Wow, I didn't think people used them without data either... I must say I'm slightly surprised at how wrong some people took my question though... From the looks of it though I would say that the general consensus is that they aren't status symbols anymore... that's all I really wanted to know
    06-29-08 03:38 PM
    I have a turtle and he has a bb. Or, maybe that's a blueberry? Regardless, he is kewler than all of you!

Lol

07-01-08 01:42 AM
    So you mean to tell me that I'm now considered "hip" and "stylish" cause I have a BB pearl?

Awesome!
    07-01-08 01:45 AM
    So you mean to tell me that I'm now considered "hip" and "stylish" cause I have a BB pearl?

Awesome!
    You didn't know? OMG! You can like, get into parties and stuff. It's so hot!

*barf*

07-01-08 01:49 AM
    Lol yeah I love whippin out my curve and txtin on it and making sure I'm SEEN. Lol. Seriously I do think BB's are status symbols somewhat. I didn't even buy mine for the email capabilities I almost got a sidekick. I'm so glad I didn't.

Yes I'm definitely a BB spotter but here in Cleveland I don't see too many ppl with BB's. Or maybe I'm not looking hard enuff lol. But I fight the urge to go up to a guy I see with a bb and start askin about it and getting all excited that he has one lol.

Yes I'm weird like that lol

Kaz where r u baby

07-03-08 12:33 PM
    this is a funny thread! :P

I've been thinking about it and YES, I've changed my mind the blackberry IS a status symbol of sorts.

I guess my shallow side is saying that because .....hey..I have the same phone as Madonna or...Jay-Z or Paris Hilton(gag, bad example). The rich and famous (and the amazing P-R people) drive our trends.

So, I'm more influenced in terms of tech trends by the hollywood scene than I am by the latest and greatest coming out of Techworld Magazine.
    Last edited by Baroness110902; 07-03-08 at 12:49 PM. Reason: P-R=Page Ranking? Who knew....
    07-03-08 12:48 PM
    Blackberry used to mean you had a corporate job. These days it means very little. Most idiots have an iPhone (which is all about the cool factor.) If you go to Europe, there are tons of cool phones. Most of these are much cooler and functional than the Blackberry. I got rid of my Treo, needed to move to something on Verizon and the BB was the only practical choice.
    07-03-08 12:50 PM
    I replaced my RAZR with Pearl as a show of status. I fell in love with the BB because of it's functionality. I stand proud to be able to say I have the best smartphone on the market. What a waste of great equipment watching a teenager with no idea of the power they have--they only know it's cool. I now also have a corporate 8830 BES---how did our forefathers found a country without a BB?
    07-03-08 10:30 PM

What!?!?! BB and no data plan? As Spock would say "this is highly illogical."
    07-03-08 10:36 PM
    Reading through this thread, I definately had to add my 2 cents. Even though it shouldnt be It is a status symbol but i think that it is becoming less and less of one. In my situation I'm what my 8 year old brother calls a "techno geek" LoL so Yes I max out the usage of all my technology. My BB, My HP Pavillion, My Touch Screen HP camera, etc. and of course I optomize my usage with accessories and yes all of these things kinda make me feel cooler and of somewhat higher importance or "status" but in all actuality I'm a PART TIME DISHWASHER at SHONEY's and I get there by way of MARTA (public transportaion aka Da Bus LoL) My economic status is by far not among the highest in this country So with that said it shouldnt be looked at as a status symbol but if you wanna think im rich and/ or important, be my guess . . . and Who had BB's with no data plan? thats like buying a TV and not getting Digi Cable or Satelite LoL
    07-03-08 11:38 PM
    Make that a High Definition (HD) TV
    07-03-08 11:39 PM
    Its funny that people want to be "seen" with their BBs. Before I owned one (and even now) I didnt care much if a person had a BB...that didnt make him/her seem super imp. Its just a matter of being connected by all possible avenues (internet/email/phone/text). But again, its a hugely personal thing. Of course now when I see a BB user I know that the person has a few extra neurons to be using one

In short though, I dont think BBs are a status symbol anymore. They're way too common.
    07-03-08 11:48 PM
    I never really saw it as a status symbol...I am a gadget geek somewhat and for me the device itself and the capabilities is what drives me....I have seen folks with them that haven't a clue as to what to do with them
    I know right. I have some friends' that have BB Curves and they don't know how to do half the stuff I know how to do on it. Lol. All they know how to do is call and text, lol.
    07-04-08 12:17 AM
106 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD