08-18-08 09:15 PM
- Status Symbol? Lets see? I had a guy come into one of my locations today. He was driving a newish Mustang (2006 maybe?) Came in with a Nextel BB 7510. Asks a sales rep if we rolad for Boost Mobile. No Data Plan or anything through Boost. Just pay as you go. But then upgraded to a plan of $60.00 a month for 600 minutes.
So in this instance? Yes, its a Status Symbol. Now most days, I see the Nextel 7100. And this is the Business/Contractor's phone. Email with direct connect. On the Sprint and VZW side of things, I see more everyday users with the Pearl and now the Curve. They are getting younger and younger as well. Parents bringing their kids in for a BB. With this group? The questions I get are the same: Ringtones, YouTube, Pics and Myspace. I dont think that 1 of these younger customers have every read their manual.
So in conclusion? Yes, BBs have become a status symbol. Remember the pics of Paris Hilton and her Berry, or John Mayer? Im sure all Paris is worried about is when someone SMS's her about where to meet and making sure the Night Vision gets her good side (sheesh, inside voice...use the inside voice).
<jumping off my soapbox>06-28-08 03:36 PM
- 06-28-08 04:10 PM
- Mine was a present from my wife. I had no idea how much I could do with a BB, but my 14 Y/O son knew right away what I had. He keeps trying to borrow it - no way! He's the kid who washed his IPod Shuffle, lol.
Seriously, more people using means more software more hardware - more options for all of us much faster. Not that faster is a great thing with contracts forcing us to sometimes pay full price for the newest..
NorthFace, the most functional, best looking, highest priced cold weather clothes and outer wear. Very important for a Californian living in Colorado.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
Last edited by exelant; 06-28-08 at 07:19 PM.06-28-08 07:13 PM
- 06-28-08 08:38 PM
- whatever phone someone uses is, to them, the best device ever made
blackberry is a practicallity status symbol
when i see someone with a blackberry i think
"hey this person could have bought a more expensive or more flashy phone but they obviously wanted something that works flawlessly every single time"06-28-08 09:08 PM
- I'll be honest. Being in the fashion industry, I initially got my BB because I didn't want to be the only person at a shoot or somewhere with a flip phone. And I had a few clients laugh at me when I was taking down numbers into a regular phone! lol.. So YES I did get it because they were "IN" but once I actually got it, I realized how GREAT they were and now I'm completely enamored and will never use another kind of phone.06-29-08 02:57 AM
- 06-29-08 03:38 PM
- 07-01-08 01:49 AM
- Lol yeah I love whippin out my curve and txtin on it and making sure I'm SEEN. Lol. Seriously I do think BB's are status symbols somewhat. I didn't even buy mine for the email capabilities I almost got a sidekick. I'm so glad I didn't.
Yes I'm definitely a BB spotter but here in Cleveland I don't see too many ppl with BB's. Or maybe I'm not looking hard enuff lol. But I fight the urge to go up to a guy I see with a bb and start askin about it and getting all excited that he has one lol.
Yes I'm weird like that lol
Kaz where r u baby
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com07-03-08 12:33 PM
- this is a funny thread! :P
I've been thinking about it and YES, I've changed my mind the blackberry IS a status symbol of sorts.
I guess my shallow side is saying that because .....hey..I have the same phone as Madonna or...Jay-Z or Paris Hilton(gag, bad example). The rich and famous (and the amazing P-R people) drive our trends.
So, I'm more influenced in terms of tech trends by the hollywood scene than I am by the latest and greatest coming out of Techworld Magazine.
Last edited by Baroness110902; 07-03-08 at 12:49 PM. Reason: P-R=Page Ranking? Who knew....07-03-08 12:48 PM
- Blackberry used to mean you had a corporate job. These days it means very little. Most idiots have an iPhone (which is all about the cool factor.) If you go to Europe, there are tons of cool phones. Most of these are much cooler and functional than the Blackberry. I got rid of my Treo, needed to move to something on Verizon and the BB was the only practical choice.07-03-08 12:50 PM
- I replaced my RAZR with Pearl as a show of status. I fell in love with the BB because of it's functionality. I stand proud to be able to say I have the best smartphone on the market. What a waste of great equipment watching a teenager with no idea of the power they have--they only know it's cool. I now also have a corporate 8830 BES---how did our forefathers found a country without a BB?07-03-08 10:30 PM
What!?!?! BB and no data plan? As Spock would say "this is highly illogical."07-03-08 10:36 PM
- Reading through this thread, I definately had to add my 2 cents. Even though it shouldnt be It is a status symbol but i think that it is becoming less and less of one. In my situation I'm what my 8 year old brother calls a "techno geek" LoL so Yes I max out the usage of all my technology. My BB, My HP Pavillion, My Touch Screen HP camera, etc. and of course I optomize my usage with accessories and yes all of these things kinda make me feel cooler and of somewhat higher importance or "status" but in all actuality I'm a PART TIME DISHWASHER at SHONEY's and I get there by way of MARTA (public transportaion aka Da Bus LoL) My economic status is by far not among the highest in this country So with that said it shouldnt be looked at as a status symbol but if you wanna think im rich and/ or important, be my guess . . . and Who had BB's with no data plan? thats like buying a TV and not getting Digi Cable or Satelite LoL07-03-08 11:38 PM
- Its funny that people want to be "seen" with their BBs. Before I owned one (and even now) I didnt care much if a person had a BB...that didnt make him/her seem super imp. Its just a matter of being connected by all possible avenues (internet/email/phone/text). But again, its a hugely personal thing. Of course now when I see a BB user I know that the person has a few extra neurons to be using one
In short though, I dont think BBs are a status symbol anymore. They're way too common.07-03-08 11:48 PM
- 07-04-08 12:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD