Of course the BlackBerry OS (BB10 and BBOS) is dead. We all knew that, but as far as handset sales this misleads people's thinking since their new devices run Android and are counted into that figure.

What I'd really like to see is a breakdown by brand.
    It's not dead! Blackberry is fully committed!
    Q10Bold likes this.
    02-15-17 11:09 AM
    Very sad times but Blackberry just kept churning out pkb devices at a time when the mass market didn't want them, then the DTEK50 came out, silly name, no marketing. Disaster. Hope the Mercury is advertised well.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-17 11:10 AM
    Very sad times but Blackberry just kept churning out pkb devices at a time when the mass market didn't want them, then the DTEK50 came out, silly name, no marketing. Disaster. Hope the Mercury is advertised well.

Posted via CB10
    Oh yeh, another pkb device. Nonetheless I see nothing surprising about any of this.
    02-15-17 11:13 AM
    BlackBerry has officially joined Palm in the smartphone market. TCL bought the Palm brand two years ago while webOS went to LG which now uses it in refrigerators. I guess TCL learned their lesson from buying the iconic Palm brand and doing absolutely nothing with it so they are just licensing the BlackBerry brand.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    02-15-17 11:20 AM
    I doubt that anyone is really surprised by this. The Dtek line is not included but I don't think the numbers would change even if they were included. Carriers are not even carrying their phones and I suspect most people get their phones from. Carriers.
    Not sure what toake about BlackBerry anymore. They seem very confused and unfocused. Their brand has gone stale. It's pathetic.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    02-15-17 11:39 AM
    Haha, BlackBerry only lost 0.2%. Windows 0.8%

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz and G_Unit MVP like this.
    02-15-17 12:28 PM
    Lol at the smashed BlackBerry picture.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-17 01:00 PM
    Not overly surprising for any of us here at CB. But it's definitely a sad sight considering where we were when this community was just starting to boom . There's a chance that BlackBerry can now be a recognized android vendor via TCL . Let's just hope it goes well
    02-15-17 01:25 PM
    We have to start referring to the new Mercury as a BlackBerry Mobile device .
    02-15-17 01:40 PM
    Not overly surprising for any of us here at CB. But it's definitely a sad sight considering where we were when this community was just starting to boom . There's a chance that BlackBerry can now be a recognized android vendor via TCL . Let's just hope it goes well
    Not much of a chance....

1) TCL is the vendor (going forward, designer, manufacturer, distributor, marketer.....), not BlackBerry.

2) I doubt TCL is going to put the money into the BlackBerry brand that would be required to make it recognizable as a positive product for consumers. TCL in the long run is more interested in their own Brand... they use brands like RCA, Thomson, Alcatel, Palm and BlackBerry to get their foot in the door, but they don't really care about investing in them or making them better (especially not a licensed brand they don't fully own). The fact that anyone still reports on the once great BlackBerry is proof the "BRAND" has some value left in it, and TCL will use it.... up. It's the TCL Bowl, and the TCL Chinese Theater (no longer Grauman's)... TCL is the Brand they put money into Back in 2007 TCL had announced that within five years all their mobile devices would be under the newly acquired Alcatel brand - but here it is 2017 and there were more TCL phones released last year then Alcatel branded ones.

But I could be wrong... have to wait and see how things develop over time.
    Q10Bold and DrBoomBotz like this.
    02-15-17 01:52 PM
    Well, it goes official..

BlackBerry global smartphone market share is 0.0%, Gartner says - Business Insider

Good job, John Chen, finally you did it.
    Official...well no. The report is written from a biased standpoint as well as ignoring the fact that BlackBerry off loaded its phone system. It also ignores the fact that Blackberry stopped making OS 10 phone a while ago and has been only selling old new stock. The numbers really point to sales based on old stock, not bad at all since they made the change over well over a year ago.
    Just another moron with a puff piece writing about something he knows little about and cares even less.
    02-15-17 02:17 PM
    Mathematically speaking there isn't much relevance beyond Android and iOS and its already been that way for years.
    02-15-17 02:38 PM
    They don't break out sales... but based on the last numbers even the DTEK aren't selling all that well. Not surprising based on the marketing and availability of the DTEKs

Does make you wonder what TCL sees in the brand, and what they plan to do to change things. Getting Carrier support will be a big positive....
    I've read somewhere about someone saying something about BlackBerry hitting their target sales with the DTEKs. How on earth is that possible, I've no idea. I'll get a link if I find the quote.

I'm on the same page here, wondering what TCL sees in BlackBerry. However, TCL is not a small company so I guess they've done their homework regarding this partnership. Maybe they think they can do much better if they're the ones manufacturing and marketing the devices. The way I see it, they're already doing 100 times better than BlackBerry even before they sell their first BB. The way they're playing the anticipation and teasing game with the Merc and all. We will definitely see a better pricing and less manufacturing problems. We've already seen a much better pricing with the DTEK60. I think $500 for it is quite good within the sea of high range android phones out there.

We will see how it goes, but no matter what, I'll bet all my money that TCL will do much better with the BlackBerry name than BlackBerry themselves.

PS. I've used a lot of "Much Better" and "Better" in this post.
    02-15-17 02:41 PM

We will see how it goes, but no matter what, I'll bet all my money that TCL will do much better with the BlackBerry name than BlackBerry themselves.
    You may be right. They've already done a better job in the build up to MWC. More importantly, they have major advantages in costs, supply chain, distribution. So it will be interesting to watch what they do this year.
    Sairos likes this.
    02-15-17 02:46 PM
    Mathematically speaking there isn't much relevance beyond Android and iOS and its already been that way for years.
    Still a lot of money to be made if you can do it the right way. Small piece of a huge pie can go a long way.

Off topic a little, the chart made me think of this...

02-15-17 02:48 PM
    Still a lot of money to be made if you can do it the right way. Small piece of a huge pie can go a long way.

Off topic a little, the chart made me think of this...

Interesting logic. Well I guess it can be said even an infinitely small piece of pie is approaching infinity...in its own way. Lol.
    02-15-17 03:52 PM
    Wow, that means now almost the entire world is forced to select text without a trackpad.

Instead many companies are issuing 'trendy' ios or android devices that are gutted for security.

The world is upside down.
    Q10Bold and bh7171 like this.
    02-15-17 04:14 PM
    Of course the BlackBerry OS (BB10 and BBOS) is dead. We all knew that, but as far as handset sales this misleads people's thinking since their new devices run Android and are counted into that figure.

What I'd really like to see is a breakdown by brand.
    Ok but look at the downloads at GP for the HUB app...its 0,5mln...and that couns EVERY Android phone.
    02-15-17 04:34 PM
    Haha, BlackBerry only lost 0.2%. Windows 0.8%

Posted via CB10
    thats a valid point hehehehe :P:P
    02-15-17 04:44 PM
    Dont know where to ask- but my question is- WHERE IS BELFASTDISPATCHER? Is he still using a BBOS7 device?

I have on Bold still running
    02-15-17 04:47 PM
    So that means we are not ordinary people, we are original, unique...
    02-15-17 04:50 PM
    Well I'm part of that 0.0 %. Lol

Posted via CB10
    02-15-17 05:00 PM
    Makes me wonder how many phones they still have left in stock? Have they even manufactured a BB10 or BBOS phone since 2015?
    02-15-17 05:02 PM
    So that means we are not ordinary people, we are original, unique...
    Yes. A true zero percenter.
    02-15-17 05:03 PM
    Well I'm part of that 0.0 %. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Me too
    02-15-17 07:50 PM
383 1234 ...