Wearables aren't anything new and in fact bbm already supports connecting to android wearables and the bb10 os is compatible through apps to current popular watches. But now that Apple has announced theirs the smart watch has been officially invented so it has me wondering, how will BlackBerry engage and innovate in the world of watches and wearables?

Is it out of the scope of the current enterprise focus or is there something BlackBerry can bring through secure workspace notifications and calendar integration on the smart watch that will make it a relevant business tool and not just a fun accessory to a smartphone?

A little while ago I think it was pootermobile that had put together a mockup of a BlackBerry watch. A classy device that they had thought through quite well. We don't need a miniature phone on our wrists, but a device that can give relevant info and notices at a glance (or directions with a vibration) could be a valuable time saver. It could also cut down on the distraction that the screen in our pocket (or table top) has become.

Would a smart watch version of blend with messaging toasts and calendar views make sense? I love the instant reply options when getting an incoming phone call on my BlackBerry. It would be great to have those accessible through blend and perhaps especially blend on a watch.

What features would you like to see BlackBerry bring to the wearables out there? How will they all become part of the BlackBerry ecosystem, or should they?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 08:28 PM
    I guess for BlackBerry, they make solid apps for their core elements in enterprise and figure out how to incorporate all the things that QNX do that could have potential for wearables in the IoT space.

I must say though, how Apple is focusing on 'Glances' and talking a lot about notifications, is really what BlackBerry has done so well since day dot. Now Apple are almost acting like this is all a realisation to them and is a new concept..

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 08:38 PM
    BlackBerry will stay clear of this hideous market. They are primarily a software company now with JC at the helm. Thank goodness.

Posted by my fabulous Passport
    03-09-15 08:41 PM
    Wearables aren't anything new and in fact bbm already supports connecting to android wearables and the bb10 os is compatible through apps to current popular watches. But now that Apple has announced theirs the smart watch has been officially invented so it has me wondering, how will BlackBerry engage and innovate in the world of watches and wearables?

Is it out of the scope of the current enterprise focus or is there something BlackBerry can bring through secure workspace notifications and calendar integration on the smart watch that will make it a relevant business tool and not just a fun accessory to a smartphone?

A little while ago I think it was pootermobile that had put together a mockup of a BlackBerry watch. A classy device that they had thought through quite well. We don't need a miniature phone on our wrists, but a device that can give relevant info and notices at a glance (or directions with a vibration) could be a valuable time saver. It could also cut down on the distraction that the screen in our pocket (or table top) has become.

Would a smart watch version of blend with messaging toasts and calendar views make sense? I love the instant reply options when getting an incoming phone call on my BlackBerry. It would be great to have those accessible through blend and perhaps especially blend on a watch.

What features would you like to see BlackBerry bring to the wearables out there? How will they all become part of the BlackBerry ecosystem, or should they?

Posted via CB10
    This would look great..

Nice rendering.

BlackBerry's place in "wearables"-passport-full-touch.jpeg

Posted via CB10 on my Redbellion PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    Anthony_2u likes this.
    03-09-15 08:43 PM
    Wearables is a consumer play. Blackberry has essentially left that sector for hardware. If you expect BB to spend 10s of millions putting out a wearable than I have a row of Nigerian princes who want your introduction.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-09-15 08:55 PM
    I would hate to see BlackBerry get into wearable hardware but they've already dipped into it on the software end.

Gregstaa is absolutely correct, BlackBerry understands notifications at a glance. I'm sure they could innovate on that with the hardware others are making when paired with a bb phone and software.

They've brought bbm to smartwatches so why not, phone, bb travel, calendar...

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 09:15 PM
    I think integrating BBM is a good start. Aside from that, it would be nice if BB10 played nice with existing wearables but I don't see a point to BlackBerry trying to manufacture their own. There really isn't one. Leave it to the other manufacturers. As I said, it would be great if they supported BlackBerry but it doesn't make sense for BlackBerry to make their own hardware as the demand isn't there.

I have a Timex Move X20 and it can notify me if I get a call or a text but really, what is the point? If I'm waiting for an important message then I am not far from my phone and if I need to repond to one, I will also want to use my phone. To respond to a message from a wearable is always going to translate to a brief, less engaged reply. I don't think that this is synonymous with the use that most BlackBerry users choose to own a BlackBerry for. Smartwatches are a consumer product and, as of now, somewhat gimmicky.

I really think BlackBerry is wise enough to stay out of this market 'trend'.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    03-09-15 09:15 PM
    Smart watch might catch on in the future but right now BlackBerry can't devote resources to that right now.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 09:22 PM
    With their partnership with nanthealth a health tracker/smartwatch with well designed notifications wouldn't be totally out of left field.
    But my thought is this they've made an app for android wear so clearly they feel this is important to develop an app for. But the flipside is that they've developed a bbm app for devices that aren't even compatible with their own smartphone market.
    With the announcement of new hardware in the roadmap could a smartwatch really be that far off?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 10:15 PM
    Producing the IoT framework for wearables would definitely be a power move with awesome potential in medical. BlackBerry wouldn't have to make the hardware though.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 10:48 PM
    Four smartphone users in our home and only one with a smartwatch is my 13 year old son. He has the Pebble smartwatch that pairs with his Z10. $99 is about as much as I will pay for a teen's watch. Not $349 and up.

I would like to see BlackBerry have a strong partnership in regards to compatibility with Samsung at least. BlackBerry doesn't have to make smartwatches. Just work on compatibility.

Posted via Classic
    03-09-15 10:53 PM
    Producing the IoT framework for wearables would definitely be a power move with awesome potential in medical. BlackBerry wouldn't have to make the hardware though.
    Based on the announcement today, it looks like Apple is going after the more user�oriented medical applications and partnering with leading clinical research departments in a variety of disease areas. They just launched a bunch of apps using their framework.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/09/app...s/#tmhmdj:aOqh
    03-09-15 11:07 PM