By now we've all seen a few threads here reporting some hardware issues with the Passport. The screen glass becoming unglued and lifting up from the frame, a hair-line cracked screen upon unboxing, a few dead pixels, misbehaving keyboard, etc.

I think what's more bothersome than the early-batch manufacturing defect (which happens to most any manufacturer), is the seemingly horrendous service and support provided by BlackBerry. Customers are forced to deal with the retailer or carrier, who in turn very reluctantly ask the customer to send the device back, issue a refund, and make them buy a backordered replacement, or make the customer wait without a Passport for weeks while the RMA process takes place.

I understand that historically all their sales were through a carrier (which even paid them a monthly subscriber fee), but things are very different now. They now sell these things unlocked, to customers willing to brave going it alone, but no-doubt with some expectation that BlackBerry will readily own up to any manufacturing defect like any modern electronic brand. ESPECIALLY when a competitor such as Apple will probably hand you a new device without any questions even if you smash it in front of them.

It's just absurd that we have to deal with some second or third party for things like this. People generally don't form their lasting opinion of a company based on how their product or service is during the good times. How a company treats you when things go wrong is what really leaves a lasting impression, and makes for loyal customers.

I've had three Z10s spontaneously die on my sister and myself. No doubt a component failure since there was nothing common with their usage patterns other than they were on right before shutting off and never turning back on. I opened one up and saw what appears to be a corroded/exploded CMOS battery. I got one replaced through Verizon "insurance" after paying a $100 deductible. The other two were past warranty and didn't even bother.

I've again taken a risk on two Passports, to be used in the US, with zero carrier support. Since I bought one from Amazon and one from DR, does BlackBerry really expect me to go through two different un-related stores for any warranty? Is a customer support rep at Amazon really the best equipped to handle my BlackBerry needs? Does DR even employ any competent people, let alone call-center representatives?

If you buy any electronic, tool, appliance nowadays,.. the first thing that the manuals always say is: "If you have any problems or service needs, contact [they provide a number], DO NOT RETURN TO THE STORE". Imagine if Black and Decker told you to contact your power company to get assistance for your toaster oven! Or Delta Faucet redirected your call to your water company, "oh--you have well water? well go find the original receipt from when your house was built and seek support from the hardware store. Oh, your builder bought it, you didn't actually buy it yourself? Sorry,.. you're not the original owner, your warranty is void."

That's basically what BlackBerry is doing here.

I mean, if you can get better customer support for a $30 toaster oven, than for a $600 BlackBerry, ... something is very, very wrong.

Ok that's it for now,.. probably should have finished my coffee before I decided to rant... now it's cold (and, yes, I blame BlackBerry for it!)

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 09:14 AM
    For all I know, BlackBerry has the best ever support team. They replaced my busted PlayBook, out of warranty and free of charge. And I'm in Brasil. We go in expecting the worst service ever. Not only it was free, but they were extremely helpful.

Then again, I was dealing with BlackBerry itself, not one of their appointed repair partners (Brightstar did the manual work or shipping the new unit, but it was all decided with BlackBerry's support team).

Could this be a case of bad partners? Clearly the devices don't ship from Canada to the world and surely they don't get each unit back to HQ for support...

On a sidenote, from what I know, everyone here that tries to get a BlackBerry fixed directly with Bridgtstar has horror stories to tell. So, I think it's really a bad partner case. And it shoild be addressed.

Coffee issues? Just use your superpowers...
    10-23-14 09:44 AM
    This is probably my biggest complaint of BlackBerry as well.

My Q10 at the moment has a broken ear speaker. What are my options for repair? Well lets just say I ordered a new speaker off of eBay yesterday and am going to have to attempt to fix it myself. Which is absolute bull****. I've been a loyal BB user for just about 8 years and most phones have been pretty reliable but some issues here and there. It's ridiculous that someone has to do a DIY project to fix their phone.

I'm not saying I'm planning on jumping ship but this would be the single largest factor contributing to that.
    10-23-14 09:48 AM
    For all I know, BlackBerry has the best ever support team. They replaced my busted PlayBook, out of warranty and free of charge. And I'm in Brasil. We go in expecting the worst service ever. Not only it was free, but they were extremely helpful.

Then again, I was dealing with BlackBerry itself, not one of their appointed repair partners (Brightstar did the manual work or shipping the new unit, but it was all decided with BlackBerry's support team).

Could this be a case of bad partners? Clearly the devices don't ship from Canada to the world and surely they don't get each unit back to HQ for support...

On a sidenote, from what I know, everyone here that tries to get a BlackBerry fixed directly with Bridgtstar has horror stories to tell. So, I think it's really a bad partner case. And it shoild be addressed.

How does someone even contact BlackBerry? Right on their website it says to contact the retailer for warranty and repairs. We all know how that goes...

Also, regarding your PlayBook. I heard of that happening to others, I would think the replacements were because of excess inventory. Not because that is standard procedure.
    wehttam and AnimalPak200 like this.
    10-23-14 09:50 AM
    Hahahaha... I always wondered if anyone could actually see what's going on in my avatar!

Posted via CB10
    spike12, diegonei, Elite1 and 1 others like this.
    10-23-14 10:06 AM
    How does someone even contact BlackBerry? Right on their website it says to contact the retailer for warranty and repairs. We all know how that goes...

Also, regarding your PlayBook. I heard of that happening to others, I would think the replacements were because of excess inventory. Not because that is standard procedure.
    Dude, F2 and I have been spreading the number for a LOOONG time....

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    Smartphones BlackBerry Z10 - Tous les Téléphones Portables BlackBerry - FR - France
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)

BlackBerry� Customer Support Center
    Austria:0800-297-476
    Belgium:800-77-980
    RIM (Brasil Support toll free number): 0800-022-3161
    Bulgaria: 00800-118-1115
    Denmark: 802-50198
    France: 800-914-533
    Germany: 800-181-6530
    Italy: 800-789-272
    Luxembourg: 800-2-2187
    Netherlands: 800-022-7316
    Norway: 00-1-647-426-7058
    Poland: 00-800-112-43-59
    Portugal: 800-827-760
    Russia: 8-800-100-9643
    South Africa: 0800988892
    Spain: 900-866-969
    Sweden: 02-079-4448
    Switzerland: 0-800-802-492
    United Kingdom: 08000962805

Phone-Numbers of BlackBerry PLAYBOOK- Helpdesks...

Germany: 0800 1816530 (Geb�hrenfrei)

North-America: 1 877 255 2377 (Toll Free)

UK: 0808 100 7466 (Toll Free UK only)

Outside UK: +44 1753 558400

Worldwide: 1 519 888 6181

[email protected]

(BTW: Helpdesk for BlackBerry devices -except PlayBook- for Germany:
    0180 3302626)

The issue remains though, I agree. Either they get better support partners or they are in hot water.
    10-23-14 10:19 AM
    I cracked my Z10's screen. My carrier, ATT would do nothing since my phone was out of warranty. ATT transferred my call to BlackBerry support. BlackBerry support would not do anything, again because the phone was out of warranty. (my Z10 was 15 months old at the time). BlackBerry tech told me BlackBerry does not repair phones unless the phone is under / on warranty. They do not have repair centers nor do they have any recommendations as to where to get the phone repaired. I found a place on the Internet in New York City that replaced my Z10's screen with BlackBerry parts.

Because BlackBerry does not care about nor support its hardware products, at the end of my contract with ATT I will switch most likely to Apple. At least Apple has stores and supports their hardware. Even though Apple products are not as secure as BlackBerry products.

Why purchase a BlackBerry company product that has no repair strategy for their products and does not appear to care about their products at all! Or care about their customers either. They just sell the hardware as is where is unless the product is still covered by warranty!

Posted via CB10
    Flatman likes this.
    10-23-14 10:56 AM
    I would gladly pay extra for something similar to Apple Care. Something that doesn't rely on carrier or store (which, who knows if they will still support BlackBerry by the time you need it), just BlackBerry.

I can't imagine Apple loses much money from their Apple care program, statistically most people never use such programs, yet they pay for it regardless.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei and Flatman like this.
    10-23-14 11:13 AM
    I cracked my Z10's screen. My carrier, ATT would do nothing since my phone was out of warranty. ATT transferred my call to BlackBerry support. BlackBerry support would not do anything, again because the phone was out of warranty. (my Z10 was 15 months old at the time). BlackBerry tech told me BlackBerry does not repair phones unless the phone is under / on warranty. They do not have repair centers nor do they have any recommendations as to where to get the phone repaired. I found a place on the Internet in New York City that replaced my Z10's screen with BlackBerry parts.

Because BlackBerry does not care about nor support its hardware products, at the end of my contract with ATT I will switch most likely to Apple. At least Apple has stores and supports their hardware. Even though Apple products are not as secure as BlackBerry products.

Why purchase a BlackBerry company product that has no repair strategy for their products and does not appear to care about their products at all! Or care about their customers either. They just sell the hardware as is where is unless the product is still covered by warranty!

Posted via CB10
    Your BlackBerry was out of warranty and a cracked screen is not a defect. Read warranties carefully. It may not be covered anyway. The same would happen with Apple. The difference with Apple is you can purchase an extended warranty, otherwise known as Apple Care, that would protect you. Where the phone is repaired is also a difference, but with BlackBerry you can go to a myriad of different cell repair shops and pay for the repair needed. Yes, apple has better support and perhaps if BlackBerry charged for extended warranty where they just replace the device if it is defective it would all be worthwhile. They can make some extra cash and keep customers happy.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 11:31 AM
    Wow... I was hoping that the Passport might not have these manufacturing problems. I agree with OP. This sounds like Chrysler before they came up with the best warranty in the business because they had to.
    10-23-14 12:13 PM
    Your BlackBerry was out of warranty and a cracked screen is not a defect.
    So was my PlayBook. Didn't stop them.

I would gladly pay extra for something similar to Apple Care. Something that doesn't rely on carrier or store (which, who knows if they will still support BlackBerry by the time you need it), just BlackBerry.

I can't imagine Apple loses much money from their Apple care program, statistically most people never use such programs, yet they pay for it regardless.

Posted via CB10
    Right. Most of the time we do it to ease our minds. See the 6Sigma bit of the comment below and it just makes something like Apple Care scream MONEY.

I too would pay for BlackBerry Care. I'd pay for BlackBerry Cloud. I am hoping to get BES10 Cloud... They really could be swimming on a river of money if they got their services line up fixed.

Wow... I was hoping that the Passport might not have these manufacturing problems. I agree with OP. This sounds like Chrysler before they came up with the best warranty in the business because they had to.
    No company gets 100% of their products right. No copany at all. Some work at 6Sigma level, meaning 99.9997% of the products are ok. That means 3.4 devices out of every million will have defects.

I don't think BlackBerry is working at 6Sigma levels, but I don't think they are doing worse than any other smartphone manufacturer either. You are most likely going to get a functional device 9/10 times.

I'm sorry the OP and some other people had issues, but that does not mean the whole batch of Passports was one of lemons.
    Elite1 likes this.
    10-23-14 12:17 PM
    I should add that I have two perfectly functioning Passports. However my concern is not about the manufacturing defects, which I totally understand are impossible to completely eliminate,.. but rather my concern is with BlackBerry's approach to customer support in this day and age in which carriers are definitely not a good place to go for support on a BlackBerry device.

Posted via CB10
    spike12 and diegonei like this.
    10-23-14 12:25 PM
    So was my PlayBook. Didn't stop them.

Right. Most of the time we do it to ease our minds. See the 6Sigma bit of the comment below and it just make something like Apple Care scream MONEY.

I too would pay for BlackBerry Care. I'd pay for BlackBerry Cloud. I am hoping to get BES10 Cloud... They really could be swimming on a river of money if they got their services line up fixed.

No company gets 100% of their products right. No copany at all. Some work at 6Sigma level, meaning 99.9997% of the products are ok. That means 3.4 devices out of every million will have defects.

I don't think BlackBerry is working at 6Sigma levels, but I don't think they are doing worse than any other smartphone manufacturer either. You are most likely going to get a functional device 9/10 times.

I'm sorry the OP and some other people had issues, but that does not mean the whole batch of Passports was one of lemons.
    OP isn't claiming BBRY is producing lemons. OP is stating that BBRY could improve its existing customer service procedures to a level that is competitive/comparable with other quality companies'.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    10-23-14 12:26 PM
    I agree with the OP on the warranty issue, being here in the USA and on T-Mobile who doesn't even have a license to sell or support BlackBerry products anymore, leaves us in a bad position. Now if I have a warranty issue with my passport, I have to contact Blackberry USA and send them my defective device and wait for a replacement which leaves me without a phone.

I know folks will tell me to go to a different carrier that supports Blackberry, but's thats a bunch of BS. I shouldn't have to change carriers to get support for a product I paid good money for. I feel they should have some sort of service center here in the USA to support the folks who still have their products here.

I am fortunate to be close to Windsor Ontario where I can take the device to someone over there and at least get it serviced. They need to have a better support system then just dumping it off on the carriers, look at what your competition has and come up with something thats equal if not better, that would be my solution.
    AnimalPak200, Frehley and Flatman like this.
    10-23-14 12:30 PM
    Very valid points, OP. Service for Blackberry PlayBook was excellent, even when it was out of warranty. Helped me become a loyal BB supporter and get BB10 phones, after iphone. Service for BB10 phones is terrible. (Canada). You have to make endless phonecalls to get help, carriers passing you off to BlackBerry, and vice versa. I should not have to pay to get the keyboard of a Q10 fixed when it is 15 months old, and double typing etc. That is a hardware problem that the consumer should not be responsible for. How can you sell a phone that doesn't last 24 months, normal wear and tear? Needless to say, being a loyal BB supporter, I pulled my hair out and then paid the carrier $65 for it to be fixed, but I can see how that would drive other customers away. BlackBerry should acknowledge that sometimes the phones that are manufactured are factory duds, and they should take ownership of that, even 15 months out, or will lose more and more customers.
    Kennedy.L likes this.
    10-23-14 12:53 PM
    Your BlackBerry was out of warranty and a cracked screen is not a defect. Read warranties carefully. It may not be covered anyway. The same would happen with Apple. The difference with Apple is you can purchase an extended warranty, otherwise known as Apple Care, that would protect you. Where the phone is repaired is also a difference, but with BlackBerry you can go to a myriad of different cell repair shops and pay for the repair needed. Yes, apple has better support and perhaps if BlackBerry charged for extended warranty where they just replace the device if it is defective it would all be worthwhile. They can make some extra cash and keep customers happy.

Posted via CB10
    You missed my point / complaint. I knew my Z10 was out of warranty. But it seems only in the cell industry the manufactures do not have any procedure to get a phone repaired by a certified repair center or will give you the name and contact info for such a repair center. Would you buy a car today with no factory / dealer repair places. I know I would not.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 12:56 PM
    I agree OP, I think this has been lacking for a long time. It's almost like they are trying to avoid being contacted. It isn't reassuring to feel like the manufacturer you bought your product from is hiding from you. I had 3 Z10's die, 2 were replaced under warranty the third was outside of warranty. They all did the heat up, blue screen and then die scenario. I was able to save the third one but I knew I couldn't count on it for my daily driver so now one of the kids uses it.
    10-23-14 12:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    See my other post. You missed my meaning completely. BlackBerry needs to have better, really a procedure and licensed repair places. Just like the auto industry.

Posted via CB10
    Frehley likes this.
    10-23-14 01:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    You missed my point / complaint. I knew my Z10 was out of warranty. But it seems only in the cell industry the manufactures do not have any procedure to get a phone repaired by a certified repair center or will give you the name and contact info for such a repair center. Would you buy a car today with no factory / dealer repair places. I know I would not.

Posted via CB10
    For their own protection BBRY would have to make some sort of agreement to funnel work to a specific company but that makes a lot of sense. Or a list of preferred shops.

Even for out of warranty issues, it is a lot better PR to say "It's out of warranty/not covered but we can offer this or arrange for repair through our preferred shops. Which would you like?" vs "Sorry, it's out of warranty and not covered. Have a nice day." Customer feels more in control by having an option.
    10-23-14 01:16 PM
    By now we've all seen a few threads here reporting some hardware issues with the Passport. The screen glass becoming unglued and lifting up from the frame, a hair-line cracked screen upon unboxing, a few dead pixels, misbehaving keyboard, etc.

I think what's more bothersome than the early-batch manufacturing defect (which happens to most any manufacturer), is the seemingly horrendous service and support provided by BlackBerry. Customers are forced to deal with the retailer or carrier, who in turn very reluctantly ask the customer to send the device back, issue a refund, and make them buy a backordered replacement, or make the customer wait without a Passport for weeks while the RMA process takes place.

I understand that historically all their sales were through a carrier (which even paid them a monthly subscriber fee), but things are very different now. They now sell these things unlocked, to customers willing to brave going it alone, but no-doubt with some expectation that BlackBerry will readily own up to any manufacturing defect like any modern electronic brand. ESPECIALLY when a competitor such as Apple will probably hand you a new device without any questions even if you smash it in front of them.

It's just absurd that we have to deal with some second or third party for things like this. People generally don't form their lasting opinion of a company based on how their product or service is during the good times. How a company treats you when things go wrong is what really leaves a lasting impression, and makes for loyal customers.

I've had three Z10s spontaneously die on my sister and myself. No doubt a component failure since there was nothing common with their usage patterns other than they were on right before shutting off and never turning back on. I opened one up and saw what appears to be a corroded/exploded CMOS battery. I got one replaced through Verizon "insurance" after paying a $100 deductible. The other two were past warranty and didn't even bother.

I've again taken a risk on two Passports, to be used in the US, with zero carrier support. Since I bought one from Amazon and one from DR, does BlackBerry really expect me to go through two different un-related stores for any warranty? Is a customer support rep at Amazon really the best equipped to handle my BlackBerry needs? Does DR even employ any competent people, let alone call-center representatives?

If you buy any electronic, tool, appliance nowadays,.. the first thing that the manuals always say is: "If you have any problems or service needs, contact [they provide a number], DO NOT RETURN TO THE STORE". Imagine if Black and Decker told you to contact your power company to get assistance for your toaster oven! Or Delta Faucet redirected your call to your water company, "oh--you have well water? well go find the original receipt from when your house was built and seek support from the hardware store. Oh, your builder bought it, you didn't actually buy it yourself? Sorry,.. you're not the original owner, your warranty is void."

That's basically what BlackBerry is doing here.

I mean, if you can get better customer support for a $30 toaster oven, than for a $600 BlackBerry, ... something is very, very wrong.

Ok that's it for now,.. probably should have finished my coffee before I decided to rant... now it's cold (and, yes, I blame BlackBerry for it!)

Posted via CB10
    I am 100% with you on this!!
    My hope for future devices- something like Dells: Next Business Day repair/replacement!

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 01:22 PM
    I too suggested something Apple care for BlackBerry in early 2013 but was shot down on CB . If they make a good product , their warranty / help service could be a money maker.
    10-23-14 01:32 PM
    Warranty support for unlocked devices is an issue in UK too. BlackBerry UK's warranty policy pdf is too ambiguous.

I had actually contacted ShopBB/ DR, Amazon, Expansys and CPW to clarify this.

DR, Amazon said they would only provide 14/ 30 days money back/ return.
    Expansys & CPW assured that they would be handling warranty claims on behalf of BlackBerry. CPW's website says BlackBerry doesn't interact with end customers directly.

CB10 @ Q5
    10-23-14 01:55 PM
    I agree OP. Hope this situation improves too. I usually just cover my devices with SquareTrade.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    10-23-14 02:14 PM
    Okay, I just called BlackBerry for "support". Told me that the shot ear speaker could be hardware or software related. He could transfer me to technical support for steps on reloading my software but FOR A FEE. And then I asked if this was likely a software issue and he said more likely a hardware problem.
    He told me to take it to the point of purchase (rogers). Rogers won't do anything since its more than 12 months old.

I asked if there are any authorized repair centers and he said no. He suggested I GOOGLE A PLACE TO FIX MY PHONE. He told me about a place he's heard of called fixmypod.ca
    He said BlackBerry doesn't recommend that though.

So here I am, with a 15 month old phone, no official repair options. Awesome.

Let's recap: I was told I can get technical phone support for a cost or I should GOOGLE somewhere to fix my phone.
    Last edited by Kennedy.L; 10-23-14 at 03:22 PM.
    10-23-14 02:18 PM
    Dude, F2 and I have been spreading the number for a LOOONG time....
    Okay cool but does it get anyone anywhere?
    10-23-14 02:20 PM
73 123