I would like to know,if BlackBerry is going to leave the handset market,ie the consumer(s) out in the cold,and just focus on the enterprise world.....also will the new PASSPORT be available to everyone?? thanx

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 01:53 PM
    The passport will be available for everyone, whether they're leaving or not depends on whether the passport and classic sell or not

Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.700
    08-19-14 01:56 PM
    OP.... John Chen want's to know those same things.

For right now his focus is on making money. The consumer market didn't do that for BlackBerry and with the App Issue I think enterprise is his only shot. As Apple now owns the enterprise market, that really only leave the highly regulated industries where security isn't the 2nd or 3rd requirement like with most business. And where Apps aren't that big of an issue either (they hope).

If BlackBerry's future was "known", the stock wouldn't be trading at under $10 a share....

Passport... it will be available to everyone. You might have to switch carriers for it to work.

Future devices.. they will be more "economical"... doubt you'll see anything that will do justice to the word "flagship". They just can't compete in the consumer market as it requires an ecosystem.
    08-19-14 02:12 PM

Passport... it will be available to everyone. You might have to switch carriers for it to work. Find a carrier willing to carry it.
    FTFY
    08-19-14 02:24 PM
    OP.... John Chen want's to know those same things.

For right now his focus is on making money. The consumer market didn't do that for BlackBerry and with the App Issue I think enterprise is his only shot. As Apple now owns the enterprise market, that really only leave the highly regulated industries where security isn't the 2nd or 3rd requirement like with most business. And where Apps aren't that big of an issue either (they hope).

If BlackBerry's future was "known", the stock wouldn't be trading at under $10 a share....

Passport... it will be available to everyone. You might have to switch carriers for it to work.

Future devices.. they will be more "economical"... doubt you'll see anything that will do justice to the word "flagship". They just can't compete in the consumer market as it requires an ecosystem.
    You make some very valid points, I am hoping the passport does launch a GSM unlocked version like the z30 100-5 model so it will work on T Mobile USA.

As long as the price is within reason and competitive with what's already out there, I am all in. If they price it through the stratosphere, well, looks the the iPhone 6 might be the way to go. Should know pretty shorty.

Sent using my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    08-19-14 02:34 PM
    BlackBerry's future is bright!

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king and Dave Liao like this.
    08-19-14 02:44 PM
    BB the company isn't likely to be going anywhere anytime soon.

But BB the handset maker's future is very questionable.

Right now, Chen and BB need BB handsets, because they're the only ones that really work well with BES and BBM, which are two of the services that BB is carrying forward. But Chen has BB hard at work making these services work well on the other platforms, and when that mission is reasonably well accomplished (i.e., not long after the release of BES12 and protected BBM), Chen's need for BB handsets to grow the Software and Services business will be greatly diminished, and given that handsets haven't been profitable for more than 2 years already, and that none of the phones being released are likely to sell in huge numbers (remember: they're targeted at the Enterprise market, so there will be little if any consumer advertising, and there is already very limited carrier support), it's very conceivable that the plug will be pulled on BB10 handsets at some point next year. That's especially true if sales run under 10M per year, which is Chen's own threshold for making any kind of profit off of them.

Make no mistake: in the new BB, handsets are a means to an end, which is: selling companies on BB's Software and Services. Selling handsets used to be an end to itself, but no longer, and once the S&S business no longer needs BB handsets to sell, I believe Chen will cut them loose to prevent them from further dragging down profits.

That's good news for BB stockholders, but bad news for fans of BB handsets.
    08-19-14 03:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    That could be true, but in what way? I am also of the belief that consumer handsets MAY BE a small part of their future. Even so, they could still be a niche provider which is fine also.
    08-19-14 03:32 PM
    IMO BlackBerry's mobile devices departments future depends on:

1. Quality of android app compatibility. Not only does android apps need to be seamless and native like in fluidity but it also needs a google play services replacement (not google play itself), push notifications, OS integration like hub and intra app share framework.

2. The Z3, classic and passport must at least exceed the 10 million units sold per annum mark.

Once they have gained steady momentum of sales and have a significant user base, they need to pull back developers into native app development because otherwise what the concrete point in having a BlackBerry? Remember that android apps demand all access to your phone rendering it the same as having an android phone.

Differentiate or Die
    08-19-14 03:40 PM
    You make some very valid points, I am hoping the passport does launch a GSM unlocked version like the z30 100-5 model so it will work on T Mobile USA.

As long as the price is within reason and competitive with what's already out there, I am all in. If they price it through the stratosphere, well, looks the the iPhone 6 might be the way to go. Should know pretty shorty.

Sent using my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    Still waiting to see if they have a CDMA version.....
    08-19-14 03:43 PM

Right now, Chen and BB need BB handsets, because they're the only ones that really work well with BES and BBM, which are two of the services that BB is carrying forward. But Chen has BB hard at work making these services work well on the other platforms, and when that mission is reasonably well accomplished (i.e., not long after the release of BES12 and protected BBM), Chen's need for BB handsets to grow the Software and Services business will be greatly diminished, and given that handsets haven't been profitable for more than 2 years already, and that none of the phones being released are likely to sell in huge numbers (remember: they're targeted at the Enterprise market, so there will be little if any consumer advertising, and there is already very limited carrier support), it's very conceivable that the plug will be pulled on BB10 handsets at some point next year. That's especially true if sales run under 10M per year, which is Chen's own threshold for making any kind of profit off of them.

Make no mistake: in the new BB, handsets are a means to an end, which is: selling companies on BB's Software and Services. Selling handsets used to be an end to itself, but no longer, and once the S&S business no longer needs BB handsets to sell, I believe Chen will cut them loose to prevent them from further dragging down profits.

You keep spreading same lies or your own opinions around. Who do you think you are, somebody that can predict future? BlackBerry is busy on innovation of new phones to make people more productive and efficient and people are seeing that obviously. You still keep hammering with same lies on each of these kinds of thread.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 03:50 PM
    Well Chen set the bar pretty low... Stated he was looking for 10 million per year... if they cannot do at least that... they should not be in the hardware business in the first place....
    08-19-14 03:57 PM
    I truly believe that BB is missing the mark supplying enterprise handsets. There is a reason that Apple and Android devices are making waves into the enterprise market place. That is because the users liked them as consumers and therefore want to use them as enterprise handsets. If the enterprise market wants a physical keyboard, then there would be a large clamoring outside the BB community for physical keyboards. As an architect and my wife a medical provider (I believe that Chen mentioned us directly as part of his target market), we and our friends want larger screens. I do not want a physical keyboard. Looking at drawings or xrays or spreadsheets is made easier with more screen size.

Enterprise means having the right apps ie word, excel, powerpoint, etc. BB needs to be enhancing their supposedly compatible app. It is very basic at best.

I think BB would be better focusing on software and licensing BB10 to other handset makers to provide us a Note 4 size screen with a true stylus.
    08-19-14 04:08 PM
    I truly believe that BB is missing the mark supplying enterprise handsets. There is a reason that Apple and Android devices are making waves into the enterprise market place. That is because the users liked them as consumers and therefore want to use them as enterprise handsets. If the enterprise market wants a physical keyboard, then there would be a large clamoring outside the BB community for physical keyboards. As an architect and my wife a medical provider (I believe that Chen mentioned us directly as part of his target market), we and our friends want larger screens. I do not want a physical keyboard. Looking at drawings or xrays or spreadsheets is made easier with more screen size.

Enterprise means having the right apps ie word, excel, powerpoint, etc. BB needs to be enhancing their supposedly compatible app. It is very basic at best.

I think BB would be better focusing on software and licensing BB10 to other handset makers to provide us a Note 4 size screen with a true stylus.
    I agree with the stylus.

BlackBerry should have been the first to market a phone with a stylus since its enterprise driven.

Differentiate or Die
    08-19-14 04:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe for the software and mdm certainly not bright for hardware
    08-19-14 04:16 PM
    IMO BlackBerry's mobile devices departments future depends on:

1. Quality of android app compatibility. Not only does android apps need to be seamless and native like in fluidity but it also needs a google play services replacement (not google play itself), push notifications, OS integration like hub and intra app share framework.

2. The Z3, classic and passport must at least exceed the 10 million units sold per annum mark.

Once they have gained steady momentum of sales and have a significant user base, they need to pull back developers into native app development because otherwise what the concrete point in having a BlackBerry? Remember that android apps demand all access to your phone rendering it the same as having an android phone.

Differentiate or Die
    How things have changed! in 2011 Rim(Blackberry) shipped over 51 million units now they cannot even sell 10 millions. As a comparison, Apple and Samsung sell over 50 million units a quarter and you speak about BB sales momentum lol
    08-19-14 04:27 PM
    You keep spreading same lies or your own opinions around. Who do you think you are, somebody that can predict future? BlackBerry is busy on innovation of new phones to make people more productive and efficient and people are seeing that obviously. You still keep hammering with same lies on each of these kinds of thread.

Posted via CB10
    a squared screen is not innovation nor is a keyboard
    08-19-14 04:30 PM
    a squared screen is not innovation nor is a keyboard
    Give me an idea then what is innovation!

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 04:43 PM
    The answer to your first question is no. The answer to your second is yes.
    08-19-14 05:25 PM
    I have a lot of faith in the passport. I believe it will sell very well. The specs are superior to apple 6, and anything Samsung will produce in September. I know a lot of people will disagree but specs do sell phones. The passport will sell well as long as carriers will agree to carry it. It's different, and i think that will help sales. All phones look a like now and the passport will stand out. Keep moving forward BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    08-19-14 05:41 PM
    Lies? LOL.

I gave my OPINION of what I believe to be the likely future of the company. No where did I say "this will absolutely happen", and in fact, in several places I mentioned words like "likely" and "I believe."

You don't have to agree with my opinion, and I'm fine if you don't, but you could at least attack my opinion with some evidence-backed opinions of your own, rather than attacking me personally. I'm not your enemy - I'm not the one making any of this stuff happen. I'm just looking at all the information available and forming an opinion. Some folks here actually appreciate that.
    08-19-14 09:14 PM
    Give me an idea then what is innovation!

Posted via CB10
    Anything Apple copies and claims they created . That's innovative :-))

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Andy_bb_king like this.
    08-19-14 09:37 PM
    Lies? LOL.

I gave my OPINION of what I believe to be the likely future of the company. No where did I say "this will absolutely happen", and in fact, in several places I mentioned words like "likely" and "I believe."

You don't have to agree with my opinion, and I'm fine if you don't, but you could at least attack my opinion with some evidence-backed opinions of your own, rather than attacking me personally. I'm not your enemy - I'm not the one making any of this stuff happen. I'm just looking at all the information available and forming an opinion. Some folks here actually appreciate that.
    Come on its just a phone relax!

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 09:38 PM

I think you're wrong. I think handsets are a big part of their future plans. Do they have a plan B? Probably. I would guess what you said is a plan B rather than the current course of action. Without handsets, they don't have an end to end security model. What are they going to sell the DoD? Or the likes of Obama and Merkel? Software for iPhone or Android? That doesn't fly, we all know that. I think they've trimmed down to where they feel they need to be to survive as a niche player and their focus is to attack the niches they want to play in, handsets included.
    lovedaazn and Vorkosigan like this.
    08-19-14 10:10 PM
    Come on its just a phone relax!

Posted via CB10
    It's not a phone, it's a BlackBerry. ;-)
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    08-19-14 10:11 PM
56 123